Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cable Splice

Hi All,
    Well, I have been browsing the forum for quite some time, but have recently joined! I must say there is a wealth of info on here. In any event, I have a K-400 with 50' 1/2" IW cable for home use. Unfortunately, the wire around the core broke about 21' in. I have thoroughly searched the forum and it appears that I can fix this with a splice. However, I can't seem to find any info on where I can actually get the appropriate splice for my cable. Even a google search didn't seem to find anything. Any info is appreciated!

Re: Cable Splice

you can not splice iw cable. You can get a repair end for it it must be for 1/2 iw or you heads will not work Marvin

Comment

GO TO GORLITZ SEWER AND DRAIN AT THIS LINK

http://www.gorlitz.com/index.php?act=viewDoc&docId=36

YOU PULL THE INNER CORE ON EACH SIDE A FEW INCH'S
      THEN CUT OFF THIS IS TO MAKE ROOM FOR SPLICE
      NEED (2) TWO PAIRS OF VISE GRIPS
      HOLDING CABLE WITH ONE USE A 3/8" CENTER PUNCH TO SPREAD THE CABLE A LITTLE BIT
      THEN USEING A LITTLE LACKTITE ON THE MALE SPLICE THREADS ONE SIDE ONLY TO START INTO THE END OF CABLE
      IMPORANTANT ONLY JUST GET STARTED INTO CABLE
      THEN GRIP WITH ONE PAIR OF VISE GRIPS
      WITH 2 SECOUND PAIR GRIPPING THE OTHER CABLE GET IT STARTED
      AND SLOWLY SCREW BOTH SIDES TOGEATHER TILL THEY MEET !

THAT IS HOW PROFESSIONAL DRAIN PEOPLE DO IT
      JERRYMAC
      E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
      CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
      FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
      SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

I do not think that the splice will work in the IW cable like Marvin said. If it was standard IC cable it would not be a problem.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        Ron's Facebook
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

i have never spliced always thought it too risky

Comment

Thanks for all of your replies. However, it seems like it would be impossible to remove some of the innercore in order to use the splice. If the core were hollow, then this would seem to work. This cable has been used lightly and for less than a few hours. I wonder how much luck I would have if I called ridgid and asked them to replace it.....

Comment

I HAVE FIELD SPLICED DOZENS OF CABLES IN THE FIELD SOME MORE THEN ONCE ON THE SAME CABLE AND HAVE HAD VERY FEW PROBLEMS FROM DOING IT
              MANY PROFESSIONAL ROOTER DRAIN PEOPLE DO THIS EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK ! !

THE ONLY TIME YOU MIGHT EVER HAVE PROBLEM WITH CABLE IS IF'S BEEN IN ACID !

OR YOU GET REALLY HUNG UP IN A BLOCKADGE AND RUN IN REVERSE TOO LONG, NO BIG DEAL YOU JUST RUN A BROKEN CABLE RETRIVER TO PULL
              BACK THE CABLE
              AS I SAID MANY PROFESSIONAL ROOTER/DRAIN PEOLPLE DO THIS EVER DAY
              THEY CAN NOT PULL OFF THE JOB IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DAY OR NIGHT
              JUST TO RUN CRYING TO THE SUPPLY HOUSE OR SHOP TO GET A NEW CABLE EVER TIME ONE KINKS OR BREAKS ON THE JOB ! ! !

THAT BIG BOX R. R. COMPANY IS WHERE I FIRST LEARNED THIS MANY MANY YEARS AGO

THE LOCKTITE PREVENTS CABLE FROM UNSCREWING OFF SPLICER
              JERRYMAC
              E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
              CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
              FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
              SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

I have spliced 3/4" cable and magnum cable all the time. Its easy to do and it is very reliable. Now for 13/32 and 1/2 cable I just chopped of the cable and put a repair bulb on.
                Originally posted by mr bonds View Post
                i have never spliced always thought it too risky
                Ron's Facebook

Comment

For the size and type of cable just buy a new cable and avoid any issues

Alot of the time IMO once you break it the cable has gone through enough torture to rate a new one anyway... If you were running a long expensive cable the repair may be worth it but not for$130 bucks..

Comment

Considering the cable is only 2 days old and I use the machine maybe 1-2 times per year, I really didn't want to spend another 130.00. I don't use the machine hard and always go easy on the cable. So, I figured that a splice would probably do the trick.... but it looks like a repair on a IW cable is not feasible. Any luck on getting ridgid to replace it?

Comment

Originally posted by trk411 View Post
                      Considering the cable is only 2 days old and I use the machine maybe 1-2 times per year, I really didn't want to spend another 130.00. I don't use the machine hard and always go easy on the cable. So, I figured that a splice would probably do the trick.... but it looks like a repair on a IW cable is not feasible. Any luck on getting ridgid to replace it?

Post a few pictures of the machine and the cable (close up of the broken end)... Hard to believe a cable broke on the second day being 2 days old...
                      Are you experienced with running drum machines? I assume from your job title that you are not a professional plumber.

Do you have the other end of the broken cable?

Only 2 reasons a cable that new would break

1. Flaw in the cable (this will show under close examination)
                      2. User Error (This machine and cable is not good for anything more then a toilet paper stoppage in a 3" line) I own the same machine and cable.

Comment

Despite my job title, I do have experience using a drum. I have used them in the past with great results (even with the cheapo HF machine). It is on a 3" line that is notorious for soft stoppages. Truthfully, I don't even think I had a chance to get to the clog before the cable broke. It broke 21' in, but the core is solid...it is the metal winding around the cable that snapped. All of the cable was retrieved. Unable to post pics now, but can do so tomorrow.

Comment

Only way I seen cable break after a second day of use is if it was stuck in an acid line the day before. If the cable is standard oil tempered cable it will break like peanut brittle. Thats why all my cable is music wire.
                          Ron's Facebook

Comment

I have never used acid or any other chemical in the drain and I am still unsure as to why the cable did what it did.

Comment

Once I see a picture of the break I can tell you if it was due to a kink, over torque, or just bad tempring of the cable.

Originally posted by trk411 View Post
                              I have never used acid or any other chemical in the drain and I am still unsure as to why the cable did what it did.
                              Ron's Facebook

Comment

Working...
                              X