Sectional Cable

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sectional Cable

I'm sure it's been discussed before but I was wondering if there is a difference or preference between Ridgid 5/8" & 7/8" sectional cable or General Wires?

Just standard cable. Not innercore, flexcore etc.

Thanks.

J.C.

Re: Sectional Cable

A Drum vs. sectional discussion, sweet j/k

I use the heck out of the 7/8 OW ridgid sectional cable and use 1 1/4" when the going gets really tuff (I dont use 1 1/4" enough to even keep it on the truck)

I keep 6 sections of 5/8" open wind on the truck but have not used it ( I bought it to spin in a K-60 if I needed it )

I have switched over to using drums indoors (K-38 w 5/16") and a K-400 w/ 75' 3/8" IW

The 3/8" IW is working out to be a nice cable but I would not use it for anything other then soft stoppages in 3" or 4" but it is a great cable for 2" Kitchen sink and Laundry lines

Comment

The only difference I've seen is the the tight wind section is shorter on a general and the button pin is rounded over on the general while it's flat on a ridgid. The general reels are better than ridgid. Bigger and better quality.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
        A Drum vs. sectional discussion, sweet j/k

Errrrm sorry JC It would help if I would read the question...

Since I have not used General cable I have no idea

I use the heck out of the 7/8 OW ridgid sectional cable and use 1 1/4" when the going gets really tuff (I dont use 1 1/4" enough to even keep it on the truck)

I keep 6 sections of 5/8" open wind on the truck but have not used it ( I bought it to spin in a K-60 if I needed it )

I have switched over to using drums indoors (K-38 w 5/16") and a K-400 w/ 75' 3/8" IW

The 3/8" IW is working out to be a nice cable but I would not use it for anything other then soft stoppages in 3" or 4" but it is a great cable for 2" Kitchen sink and Laundry lines

Bill

Comment

Good luck finding inner core cables on the internet Jc, I have been looking for a 7/8" inner core for awhile and have not been able to find any other than Ridgids Europe 7/8" ic which sells for $115 at toolup . If anyone has a link to the General 15R10-P Proflex? Cable that is for sale it would be appreciated.
          ________
          Toyota vista
          Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 05:33 PM.
          Mike

Comment

Rothenberger makes a good inner core cable I post links a bit later. Right now I am gearing up all the paper work I need to test 18 backflow valves in the morning.
            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I use 7/8 ow general cables on my K60. Have used Ridgid in the past but the local supply cannot compete with the General prices and I have no complaints about the product.

Comment

I checked with Marvin at Allen J Coleman, he has the Ridgid 7/8" inner core cable in stock in case any of you are intrested.

As I always say, if Marv does not have it you do not need it.
                Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

i use the ridgid c-10 ic/ innercore on the first 15' section. this allows me to cut heavy roots from the 4'' into the 6'' lateral to the city saddle. i even use it in the 3'' pipe. the rest of the cable is the standard c-10.

as far as the 1.25'' cable, i use the general with inner core as it comes in 10' lengths and it works better for me as i use a drill/ timberwolf to spin it. 15' ridgid sections would get a little scary outside of the pipe.

i would like to try out the heavy wind 5/8'' x 10' cable for smaller drains, but so far my standard 5/8'' x 7.5' cable has not let me down.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    i use the ridgid c-10 ic/ innercore on the first 15' section. this allows me to cut heavy roots from the 4'' into the 6'' lateral to the city saddle. i even use it in the 3'' pipe. the rest of the cable is the standard c-10.

as far as the 1.25'' cable, i use the general with inner core as it comes in 10' lengths and it works better for me as i use a drill/ timberwolf to spin it. 15' ridgid sections would get a little scary outside of the pipe.

i would like to try out the heavy wind 5/8'' x 10' cable for smaller drains, but so far my standard 5/8'' x 7.5' cable has not let me down.

rick.
                    Why not just use standard cable throughout?

It doesn't make sense to me but I have not done it either. In my mind its like putting a 100lb rated link on a chain where the rest of the links are rated for 50lbs.

The weakest part of your chain is after your lead and as any torque would build it would transfer quickly to the next section and would break there regardless of the innercore first section.

Doesn't the K-60 rely on speed of the cutter and not so much torque?

Did you encounter problems before and then moved to this setup to cure it?

Honestly trying to learn.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                      Why not just use standard cable throughout?

It doesn't make sense to me but I have not done it either. In my mind its like putting a 100lb rated link on a chain where the rest of the links are rated for 50lbs.

The weakest part of your chain is after your lead and as any torque would build it would transfer quickly to the next section and would break there regardless of the innercore first section.

Doesn't the K-60 rely on speed of the cutter and not so much torque?

Did you encounter problems before and then moved to this setup to cure it?

Honestly trying to learn.

Thanks.

J.C.
                      has absolutly nothing to do with strength. as the plastic core is free floating inside the cable. it has to do with stiffness. to prevent the cable from flipping in a 6'' line.

it also helps prevent the roots from catching inside the open winds as the cable is now pretty solid and not as open.

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks. I think I understand.

It seems the primary advantage is to prevent flipping & getting stuck in larger lines. Might need a section myself.

J.C.

Comment

Some of the threads I see there's broken cable. What's up with that? Is that sectional cable?

Comment

I just ordered some 7/8 general inner core from our supply house, It cost $58 a section which is half the cost of what the Ridgid inner core priced out for. I just hope it last as long as the Ridgid cables do.
                            ________
                            Vapor Lounge
                            Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 05:34 PM.
                            Mike

Comment

Originally posted by TOPDAWG View Post
                              I just ordered some 7/8 general inner core from our supply house, It cost $58 a section which is half the cost of what the Ridgid inner core priced out for. I just hope it last as long as the Ridgid cables do.
                              That's a pretty good price Mike. What brand?

Comment

Working...
                              X