X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buy a K1500 or ??

I have about 20 properties and am looking for a good overall machine for cleaning roots, etc in 2-4 inch lines.

Is a K1500 a good machine ??

Re: Buy a K1500 or ??

have you ever operated any drain cleaning machines?
    Drain cleaning is an art. It is not just putting cable in a drain and magic happens.
    Last edited by handybull; 01-19-2010, 11:36 PM.

Comment

a 1500 is a good machine but an overkill and overweight for your application. a k-60 is the best overall machine out there. period

do a search on the k-60 and you'll see what i'm and others are talking about.

there is a k-60 forum section that has photos and good discussion.

read and ask questions.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

The k60sp will do the job for you for the 2" you will need 5/8 cable and 4" you can use the 7/8 the machine will use both. there is a spring special now and when you get the k60 you will get the 5/8 cable kit free. IF YOU ARE DOING ROOTS YOU MAY WANT SOME 7/8 INNER CORE CABLE. IF YOU HAVE TROUBLE FINDING IT CALL SHANE AT ALLAN J COLEMAN 7737282400 MARVIN

Comment

This is very helpful. I'm pretty good at multiple trades. Yes, I've found out that 'snaking' a line is an art, putting pressure on the cable at the right time, and the right amount, and at the best rpm, from the best entry point, etc.

I have a line that I can't get the cuter past ~ 50 ft. old cast iron, near a tree. I guess that I'll have to dig ??? Any advice?

Comment

what machine and cable are you using? i see your in georgia so probably ain't froze. lol. breid.............

Comment

An electric eel, 3/4 inch cable with a root cutter tip.

We had about 2 weeks of lows in the 20's. That may be a record!!

Now, its typical, highs 60's , lows 40's !!

Comment

Paint the cutter teeth and send it out, does it come back filed down? (the teeth) If so possible break in pipe (seperation) send in an arrow bit to see if you can get past the point your stuck at, to get it to drain. If different cutters or tips don't do it then a camera rental will give you the answer and the spot to digg if needed. The machine you have should be able to clear the blockage just as well as the k-1500 if it's just a 4" line. And you have cast iron out 50ft or is it cast leaving the foundation turning into clay or cement maybe?
                Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Yes, a little digging and I found clay pipe (terra cotta) near where the cable stopped.

The base of a 1.5 ft diameter oak tree is about 3 ft from the clay line (terra cotta).

Could the tree separate/ move/ crush the clay pipe (terra cotta)?? So I'm really trying to cut thru a terra cotta line ???

Comment

well did you paint a bit and see it's condition when you bring it back? If it looks like a grinder was on it then I would use a camera to see what's going on. Or just dig up the spot if it's shallow easy dig.
                    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

I didn't paint the cutter, but I noticed that the end had been worn away.

The sewer pipe is about 2.5 ft down. I guess we'll dig. !!! But I'll have to cut a tree and remove the stump first ????

Can a tree separate/ move/ crush a pipe?? It's ~1.5 feet in diameter and about 3 feet from the line.

Comment

Yes! Ususally move it at a joint, and sometimes they even are crushed.
                        Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Yes! Ususally move it at a joint, and sometimes they even are crushed. Look at a street or sidewalk trees are tuff customers.
                          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Yes, you have a good point, trees work slowly and with force.

This turns out to be a big job. I guess we'll have to remove the tree first !!

Comment

Originally posted by philip View Post
                              Yes, you have a good point, trees work slowly and with force.

This turns out to be a big job. I guess we'll have to remove the tree first !!
                              Yeah, definitely get that tree out of the picture before you disturb the ground. I've seen guys try to excavate near trees and have a 35' Oak tree collapse and hit the backhoe!

You're in GA, so probably a lot of Red Clay dirt? Even so, that stuff can crumble easily.

Since it's only 2.5' deep I would skip the camera for now and just dig that sucker up. You may want to camera the line once you have it opened up to confirm that you don't have any more problem spots in the line. Not sure how often you deal with Clay pipe, but remember that there are hubs every 3', so that's a lot of potential problems.

BTW, in clay lines I'll chew up an entire blade on one job. The clay acts like a grinding stone. So in my experience, the paint trick sometimes doesn't work clay.

For example, here's a picture of a 6" sharktooth cutter for the K-1500 after 1 pass 150' in 6" clay pipe.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X