X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank You Ridgid

I sent back my K39AF because the motor went bad. It was about 5-6 months old. Sent it to Ohio and got it back today, very quick! New motor and other parts all under warranty, no charge. Thanks Ridgid, that's customer service! A+++++

Re: Thank You Ridgid

Glad to see Ridgid standing behind it's products. I just cleaned and oiled my k39af today. I've used it around 10 times now; the autofeed feature is great! I must say that although it still works fine, I'm leary of the motor. It seems a little on the wimpy side. You can feel it getting hot rather quickly. On the flip side, I just bought DeWalt's new 10amp hammerdrill because my Milwaukee Magnum doesn't have the hammerdrill feature. I'd love to put that motor in the k39! That said, it's a small machine meant for light duty in small drains, short runs. There are just places I'm having difficulty getting that 5/8" k60 open-wind through..

Comment

Originally posted by richinflorida View Post
      Glad to see Ridgid standing behind it's products. I just cleaned and oiled my k39af today. I've used it around 10 times now; the autofeed feature is great! I must say that although it still works fine, I'm leary of the motor. It seems a little on the wimpy side. You can feel it getting hot rather quickly. On the flip side, I just bought DeWalt's new 10amp hammerdrill because my Milwaukee Magnum doesn't have the hammerdrill feature. I'd love to put that motor in the k39! That said, it's a small machine meant for light duty in small drains, short runs. There are just places I'm having difficulty getting that 5/8" k60 open-wind through..
      I'm not going to sugar coat it. I think the motor is about the cheapest drill that can be manufactured.

Glad you got your's fixed Ranger.

J.C.

Comment

The latest k39 and k39af has a motor made in china there is a motor and a transmition the motor has brushes but they can not be replaced you just replace the motor. Ridge has been good on the warantee of this. You will notice a jerk on starting because of the transmition.be careful if you order grip springs of a k39 as there are 2 k39s marvin

Comment

I agree, the motor is cheap. I Know it's made for lighter duty but what is light duty? I don't consider myself a light duty plumber, .
          I'm using the 35 foot cable and I usually run it out at least twice. I would think it should be able to handle this don't you think? Well they say it's under warranty for the life of the tool right? I'll send it back again if I have to do so, hope they get better motors soon!

But I still say thank you to Ridgid, it was a very fast turn around.

A little tip for those of you using the K39 and I know most of you already know this but this is for anyone just getting one. Cover the screw holes holding the drum on, I put a piece of duct tape over the holes. If you don't know why you will soon!

Comment

Originally posted by ironranger View Post

A little tip for those of you using the K39 and I know most of you already know this but this is for anyone just getting one. Cover the screw holes holding the drum on, I put a piece of duct tape over the holes. If you don't know why you will soon!

i've mentioned this to ridgid on many occasions. i would hope they come up with a rubber plug that clips in. those screw holes are enough to screw up your day

renee, any luck with our concerns

rick.
            Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 01-21-2010, 01:04 AM.
            phoebe it is

Comment

I unscrewed my drum the 1st time the other day. Saw the gasket in the middle and still wondered why I was getting "sling" all over the place. Duuuhh! Coming right out of those screw holes.. With a small amount of tweaking, this tool could be better. Even better would be a cable,drum,auto feed that attaches to any 1/2" drill! I've seen they have something like this @ Depot, but it looks cheesy. While a real motor would cost more $$$, too many warantee/repairs cut into profit made off the sale of the tool. Any professional with good sense will pay the $$ if they get a tool they can depend on that lasts; the whole reason for buying Ridgid. Thanks to Ridgid for providing the forum! Not many mfrs do stuff like that.

Comment

their older k-39/38 have real drills that were adapted to run the drum.

remember that they have to be competitive with the other companies out there.

sure the pros here would spend more on a better drill, but we are the small minority.

maybe what they should do is sell a pro model. and keep this as the home depot model.

seeing that the parent company is emerson electric, they have access to every kind of motor made.

as far as the screw holes go, a little hard/ stale plumbers putty will put an end to the screws biting as hard and getting a spotted shirt and work area. plus cleaning out the drum when it gets water in it is a wise idea. so is removing the cable when you're done. only takes a couple seconds to remove a wet cable and 30 seconds to install it when needed. plus they will last a lot longer than a rusted out cable

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

If my K39 auto last a year its paid for it self many time over. Just go to the Depot and get a new one every 12 to 18 months. Three jobs covers the cost of the thing. We use this stuff every day its not going to last forever. I think it all ready a pro tool. Most DIYs are not going to spend the money to up grade to the K39.

I like it. More power isnt bad either.
                  Last edited by DANE; 01-21-2010, 11:06 AM. Reason: poor spell

Comment

I would pay more for a better upgraded pro model with a good strong motor that lasts.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                      their older k-39/38 have real drills that were adapted to run the drum.

remember that they have to be competitive with the other companies out there.

sure the pros here would spend more on a better drill, but we are the small minority.

maybe what they should do is sell a pro model. and keep this as the home depot model.

seeing that the parent company is emerson electric, they have access to every kind of motor made.

as far as the screw holes go, a little hard/ stale plumbers putty will put an end to the screws biting as hard and getting a spotted shirt and work area. plus cleaning out the drum when it gets water in it is a wise idea. so is removing the cable when you're done. only takes a couple seconds to remove a wet cable and 30 seconds to install it when needed. plus they will last a lot longer than a rusted out cable

rick.
                      Doesn't make sense to me Rick. It has a comparable price to some competitors while having an inferior drill. (The foundation of the thing)

The quality decreased while pricing didn't seem to follow suit.

Watching for Spartan to do the same thing.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                      X