Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

How many GPM to use for what size pipe ?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many GPM to use for what size pipe ?

How many GPM to use when jetting, for what size pipe ?

I know there will be variables.

4”
    6”
    8”
    10”
    12”
    14”
    16”
    Etc. up to 48 “

I have been looking for a reference on line but have not been able to find anything.
    Last edited by appletondrain; 01-21-2010, 03:05 PM. Reason: forgot somthing
    Sent From The StoolBus

www.appletondrainandsewer.com

Appleton WI, 54915
    1-920-284-7471

Re: How many GPM to use for what size pipe ?

Here's a little something from the USA BlueBook Operator's Companion.
    Attached Files

Comment

Jim,

I think he's really asking about what size jetter (based on GPM) is appropriate for a given waste line/ sewer diameter. Information which, sadly, I am unable to provide for him.

Although your jpg is useful when it comes to expected water flow from an open water line. I have saved it accordingly.
      Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Let's see because this question is not so simple.
        Like snake cable size goes hand in hand with drain size.
        Your limited by pipe size vs. jetter hose size that will pull thru and take bends. How many bends and type of pipe material and fittings will decide this.
        But as a general rule in max size;
        3" pipe = 1/2" hose (maybe) 3/8" is the largest normal used with bends.
        So 3" pipe with 3/8 jetter hose = 10gpm so this is a limiting factor for GPM
        4" pipe same 3/8" same gpm but you my also use 1/2 jetter hose and this will flow up to 20 GPM. So here is a big jump in GPM and hose size.
        6" pipe 1/2" jetter hose 20 GPM, or jump up to 3/4" jetter hose.
        8" pipe 1/2" jetter hose will work but 3/4 would be faster. Even 1" hose. 40 GPM
        Last edited by Cuda; 01-21-2010, 09:39 PM.
        Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
          Jim,

I think he's really asking about what size jetter (based on GPM) is appropriate for a given waste line/ sewer diameter. Information which, sadly, I am unable to provide for him.

Although your jpg is useful when it comes to expected water flow from an open water line. I have saved it accordingly.
          Good eye, Geno

I'm a little slow on the uptake.

Comment

problem is that mike/ appleton has his new/ ebay jetter at 60gpm/2000#

what is the max size of pipe for this monster

not sure if the unloader will kick back the excess with a smaller hose and nozzles. he might have to add a bypass tee and valve to dump it into the tank.

mike careful with that jetter $hit will fly

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

what no enama at at 100 paces?
              Sent From The StoolBus

Appleton WI, 54915
              1-920-284-7471

Comment

I have seen some city workers tear apart home owners sewers with their 2000 psi @ 60 GPM truck jetters. I have to say the smallest line you can safely use use that machine in is an 8" Unless you put nozzles that will restrict the flow down to say 20 to 30 gpm then you can do 6"

Now as for a max size a full flow of 60 GPM you can easily do a 36 inch sewer with the right nozzles The key with these bigger units is the amount of flow to keep the debris moving along. The newer truck jetters have variable flow rates from 30 GPM to 120 GPM

I say find a good colvert drain 24" or larger and play with it in there to see how the flowis for yourself.
                Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

yeah,

I'd say for most purposes the appropriate question is how can you muzzle that beast so you can safely use it in the smaller lines. you run 60 gpm in a 4" service and, even if you are jetting up from below, the line won't take it and you'll flood the building. I'd be carful of some 8 and 10" mains at 60 gpm; if the houses are close to the main and not much above it you'll blow toilets.
                  This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

i have 3 other jetters i use on pipe up to 12", i guess what is the biggest pipe i can clena with 65 GPM and 2000 psi
                    Sent From The StoolBus

Appleton WI, 54915
                    1-920-284-7471

Comment

no idea; you're way beyond what I do...

call up stone age and ask them what size lines they rate a warthog for your specs for?
                      This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Originally posted by appletondrain View Post
                        i have 3 other jetters i use on pipe up to 12", i guess what is the biggest pipe i can clena with 65 GPM and 2000 psi
                        The largest pipe I was able to jet with a jetter that has close to your specs was a 48" storm sewer. The nozzle we used was a beast I think they called it a sand hog nozzle. We where clearing lots of mud and muck out of a storm sewer.
                        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Appleton Drain are cleaning farm lines?

A machine like that would be great for 24 inch manure lines. The big problem is where do you get the water from. Speedy Clean and Braun who was in Cleaner a couple months ago does that stuff in our area. Braun has a 3000 gallon milk truck that puts out number like that.

You need that big gpm to flow sand and wood bedding out of those big lines. A skid is a must. Many time you need to work the pipe in smaller sections to avoid boring the nozzle in so far you cant get it back. That stuff is packed in those pipes tight by those piston pumps.

Manure line jetting is big money. You need big trucks and big jetters. I refer all the line bigger than 12 inch. 18 gpm at 4000 has a hard time pulling sand from those big lines. I would pull that thing around with an old fire truck or milk tanker.

A combo truck is nice for that stuff.

G&H or Alberts Hydrovac could help you out on those bigger job. One guy isnt enough manpower to pull alll that hose.

Comment

Most city machines put out those number. That 60 gpm is more for flushing than cutting. Many city around here have to clean and inspect so many feet of the city every year per the DNR. Buy a crawler and charge by the foot.

Pressures cheap flow cost money.

Comment

I have done several manure lines with a harben and a pipe hunter, never had a problem. With them

Sent From The StoolBus

Appleton WI, 54915
                              1-920-284-7471

Comment

Working...
                              X