X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frozen 8" water main

Well it's that time of year again. this 8" water main freezes every year due to a snowmobile trail. This year the trail was rerouted due to a new building so it was thought it would not freeze this year.WRONG! got the call this A.M.

By the time I got there they already had the main exposed. Since this happens yearly a triangle is cut into the pipe and covered with a repair band. Expose pipe, clean pipe, loosen band, slide band, insert jetter hose.

This year we found the ice in a different spot 170' away. Ice only about 2'.

Last year over 70' of ice starting about 20' from this spot.

Firetruck for my water source. Wish I always had that.

couple more pics to follow but I have to resize them
    Attached Files
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Re: Frozen 8" water main

main thawed but it turns out the gate valve for this main is about as good as all the others in this town.

This is the down hill side of this main so some draining is normal. My jetter just poked a hole in the ice but once the water started running heavy it was too late to slide the repair band back into place. Ended up filling the hole so we had to pump out once the valve was worked.
    Attached Files
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

couple more pic's
      Attached Files

Comment

Very few freeze ups here. This year a few in December 0 in January Now we have a big rain storm coming bring 2 to 3 inch of rain tomorrow. Very mild this year. It's going to hit 45 up here Monday
        Rod
        MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
        Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
        http://unclognh.com
        http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Do you use a "clean" hose for that. I got 100ft that I use only on frozen supply line.

The water from a fire truck tank isnt all that clean.

The joys of winter jetting.

Comment

Originally posted by DANE View Post
            Do you use a "clean" hose for that. I got 100ft that I use only on frozen supply line.

The water from a fire truck tank isnt all that clean.

The joys of winter jetting.
            Nope ,hose just did Mrs. Murphy's septic . Manieacs are tough!
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Yes we have water hose and a sewer hose.

I was very surprised to see this freeze this year. At our make shift clean out the depth is about 5' with about 1' of snow cover. The ground was not frozen one bit. Normally we use a hoe ram to bust up the frost. This year we could scuff the ground with our feet and move it.

At points this main is only 3' deep going under what is now (as of this year) a parking lot. Previously a snowmobile trail ran directly over the main. It was thought the trail was the cause for the freeze ups. When the lot was put in the builder insulated the main with 2". The area gets sun all day.
              At best in a shaded area we might have 1' of frost in the ground right now. 2" Styrofoam is equal to 2' of cover.

So lets just say the main is only 6" deep in this area. With 2" of Styrofoam the frost would have to be at least 2' 6" deep before it had any effect on the main.

Something is not adding up.I'm beginning to wonder if the builder insulated an abandon main and not the active one. It could very well be as this main is only 500' away from the first water pump (18-1900's) this town had. Who knows what is in the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                Nope ,hose just did Mrs. Murphy's septic . Manieacs are tough!

Ayah

Comment

The city should leave a faucet dripping

Comment

Glad to see you busy Gene! No more golf for you!
                    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Why not install a corporation stop that could quickly be shut off or something of that nature? I see a lot of cross contamination possiblities.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
                        Why not install a corporation stop that could quickly be shut off or something of that nature? I see a lot of cross contamination possiblities.
                        Can't go through the corp (it has one installed). Can't control direction and hose fetches up too much.

As far as cross contamination: it's not as much as a concern here. This main only feeds water/sewer dept, town garage, and a town owned home.
                        Normally I only get 50gal or so of water drain once I get the ice. Thats the reason for the over excavation, to give the water a place to go and not rise over the pipe, but this time the gate valve decided not to seat all the way. Once I realized that was the case, it was too late.

Comment

Working...
                        X