A new one for me ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new one for me ?

Had a call Friday night, an old house about 90-100 years old. Root in the sewer.
    I go to find a clean out. I found one a 12” manhole in the basement. This house had a 12” clay sewer under it. And it also had a gateway valve to turn off the sewer?
    Nothing else is odd but the size of the lateral and the gateway valve? Anyone else ever seen one like this ?
    sorry cellphone pic
    Attached Files
    Sent From The StoolBus

www.appletondrainandsewer.com

Appleton WI, 54915
    1-920-284-7471

Re: A new one for me ?

Lots of older homes I have seen that type of gate valve installed. Mainly was put in when they experienced lots of city sewer back ups.

Now as for the size, I only came across a 10" clay sewer once in the city of Hinsdale. He had a leak at the foundation wall when it was clogged up. Who ever did his house renovation, had no idea what fittings to get to make the transition at the foundation wall. I ended up replacing the whole sewer for him. Not very common to see a sewer over 6" for a house sewer. Bet you will never forget this job
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    Ron's Facebook
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Ah, Another just when you think you saw everything moment. That's what makes this job fun. It's not just a job it's an adventure. But with poop on it.
      Rod
      MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
      Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
      http://unclognh.com
      http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

I've seen one and what I'll call a half.

One at the town hall. Building built (reno) in the 60's (guessing) but I think the basement is part of the original structure built in (guessing again) early 1900's. The guts have been removed but the handle and cover are still there.
        It's made with an odd transition that causes paper the build up and eventually cause a clog 1-2 times a year. I just put on my cow glove and remove the build up.
        Since this my town I always felt it was my civic duty to take it easy on them and since the job is easy I didn't even charge my full service call price.
        I even worked overnight 12hrs in the dead of winter soaking wet when a surge in the water system caused three mains to break at once, they had to shut the entire town down. Knowing only two guys work in the water/sewer dept I called them up. He said "yep, get your rubber boots on and get over here".
        I could have, and should have charged at least $1000, but again I felt it was my civic duty to help MY town in our time of need. I didn't end up billing a dime.

Then one day I get a voice mail. "you owe $2.50 in property taxes". No big deal I think. I'll have to get over there and pay up soon. A week later I get certified mail. Long story short, that $2.50 ended up costing me almost $60.00.

Since the town has decided to play by the book, I have to. Now they pay FULL price for anything I do. No more deals for them.
        That simple clog at the town hall went from costing them $50 a wack to $185. Plus the library, ball fields, movie theater, parks, town mains and all the other buildings they own. Playing by the book adds up real quick. That $57.50 has cost them $1000's extra and I'm not charging them extra, I'm just charging my normal rates by the book

The one I call "half" is in a 100? yr old home with everything including the cover removed. Massive root growth right in what I would call the pit. Removed the roots by hand and down she went. Snaked the main (100') as I suspected more roots due to all the trees, but didn't hit a thing.
        Explained to HO, next time it wont cost as much as now we know the only problem is in the pit.
        INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
        Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Then one day I get a voice mail. "you owe $2.50 in property taxes". No big deal I think. I'll have to get over there and pay up soon. A week later I get certified mail. Long story short, that $2.50 ended up costing me almost $60.00.

I gotta ask how did the $2.50 become $60.00? was it governmental late fees ? that type of bs?
          Sent From The StoolBus

www.appletondrainandsewer.com

Appleton WI, 54915
          1-920-284-7471

Comment

Originally posted by appletondrain View Post

I gotta ask how did the $2.50 become $60.00? was it governmental late fees ? that type of bs?
            Yep
            Cert letter fee.
            Lean processing fee.
            Even 1/10th of a friggin' cent interest (that one REALLY pi$$ed me off)
            Late fee
            Etc...etc...etc...
            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
              I've seen one and what I'll call a half.

One at the town hall. Building built (reno) in the 60's (guessing) but I think the basement is part of the original structure built in (guessing again) early 1900's. The guts have been removed but the handle and cover are still there.
              It's made with an odd transition that causes paper the build up and eventually cause a clog 1-2 times a year. I just put on my cow glove and remove the build up.
              Since this my town I always felt it was my civic duty to take it easy on them and since the job is easy I didn't even charge my full service call price.
              I even worked overnight 12hrs in the dead of winter soaking wet when a surge in the water system caused three mains to break at once, they had to shut the entire town down. Knowing only two guys work in the water/sewer dept I called them up. He said "yep, get your rubber boots on and get over here".
              I could have, and should have charged at least $1000, but again I felt it was my civic duty to help MY town in our time of need. I didn't end up billing a dime.

Since the town has decided to play by the book, I have to. Now they pay FULL price for anything I do. No more deals for them.
              That simple clog at the town hall went from costing them $50 a wack to $185. Plus the library, ball fields, movie theater, parks, town mains and all the other buildings they own. Playing by the book adds up real quick. That $57.50 has cost them $1000's extra and I'm not charging them extra, I'm just charging my normal rates by the book

The one I call "half" is in a 100? yr old home with everything including the cover removed. Massive root growth right in what I would call the pit. Removed the roots by hand and down she went. Snaked the main (100') as I suspected more roots due to all the trees, but didn't hit a thing.
              Explained to HO, next time it wont cost as much as now we know the only problem is in the pit.
              Same here Gene. I like donuts and ice coffee
              Last edited by UnClogNH; 01-25-2010, 03:57 PM.
              Rod
              MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
              Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
              http://unclognh.com
              http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

I do cut the water/sewer dept some slack as he has a tight budget and still plays fair.

Comment

Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
                  Same here Gene. City cuts me no breaks. So full price for them. The city workers give me work. So I help them out at their personal homes.
                  You should be careful about that, since it could be seen as corruption.

Comment

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I'd edit that and have cpw erase the quote.

Comment

<Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I'd edit that and have cpw erase the quote.>

Ah crap! Too late. The plumbing police have been alerted by the poop fairy who's always looking for crap like this.

Just curious, has anyone ever heard of a drain cleaner who used roots removed from sewers as dental floss? I guess his breath smelled like...
                      roots.
                      Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

[QUOTE=geno gardner;276957
                        Ah crap! Too late. The plumbing police have been alerted by the poop fairy who's always looking for crap like this.

.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Largest sewer I've seen in a house was 10" clay. Was a big, OLD, house in the bronx. They have combination sewers in NYC so the sewer took all leader lines, floor, and yard drains as well as the sanitary. Never seen a manhole in a home though.

Comment

Working...
                          X