X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drain cleaning

Where can I find some good information on the proper use and care of drain cleaning machines. If any videos available would be nice. I've heard some horror stories of plumbers telling a company that they have used one before and ended up causing alot of damage. Don't want to go through that experience.

Re: Drain cleaning

You should try posting this in the drain cleaning discussion forum...

You may to to word your question a little more plainly as well?

Are looking for a video to teach you how to use a drain cleaning machine???

Comment

You want a real pro to walk You through ? Private message to Jerry Mac .
      He's a drain teacher for hire. Very fair
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
        You want a real pro to walk You through ? Private message to Jerry Mac .
        He's a drain teacher for hire. Very fair
        Jerry Mac would be a great choice Not many folks know more about drain machines then him.

Comment

How much clearer can I get?

1. Looking for any type of information on proper operation and care of drain cleaning machine.

2. Stating that it would be nice if I could get my hands on a video.

3. Want to know proper operation because I have heard of people causing injuries to themselves or equipment because of lack of knowledge in the use of drain cleaning machine.

Just wanted to make a little bit clearer

Comment

Laz- I believe okiebill was referring to the title and location of your post, not its contents. There is a drain cleaning section on the forum. This section has loads of info on how we care for and handle our precious tools. Talk to JERRYMAC though the man knows his stuff and is a great guy to speak with.

Comment

Originally posted by laz001 View Post
              How much clearer can I get?

1. Looking for any type of information on proper operation and care of drain cleaning machine.

2. Stating that it would be nice if I could get my hands on a video.

3. Want to know proper operation because I have heard of people causing injuries to themselves or equipment because of lack of knowledge in the use of drain cleaning machine.

Just wanted to make a little bit clearer
              CALM DOWN. we are here to help.
              I will say this. If you had to come to this site to ask this question. You must obviously not how to use the machines correctly.
              Every machine is different. some have power feed. some do not. some have an air switch. Some have an electric foot switch. Etc.....

If you would list the machines that you would like to know more about. I am 100% sure some one here would give all the information and manuals plus wiring diagrams on that machine.

Comment

Apologizes for getting frustrated. No I do not have experience with drain cleaning and would like to learn the proper way. I thank everyone for all the helpful information.

Comment

Drain cleaing

Where is the best place to find information on the proper operation of a drain machine or machines. I was told to ask Jerry Mac. Heard he is the expert. Anyone have any other information.

Comment

Re: Drain cleaing

there are online videos on the ridgid forum that you can pull up and watch.

then there are pages and pages of good reading in the drain cleaning forum.

then there are 100's of photos me and my k-60

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Rick you are such a character. When all else fails youalways seem to come up with the smiles materials.

Down here we rely on Bill and his nozzels. Much easier and less stress on the back. Mind you setting up and packing up take up more time than clearing the choke. As I get enthused more I will ask more questions to try to assimilate myself with the differences between your sewer systems adn ours. I enjoy learning and afterall we all should have little secrets to offer at some stage.

Comment

Re: Drain cleaing

Thanks Rick. I did three years with Local 91. Never got to the part on drain cleaning, so any information would help.

Comment

The best thing you can do is find someone you can go with and teach you. Trying to learn this from the internet or a video is just asking for big trouble. You'll end up getting your eye poked out!

Comment

For the most part you feed the cable down the line and depending on what down there you either punch through it tear it out or get stuck.

some is using the correct cutter for the need, and having a feel for the cable,

most of the time when you get hurt is your cable gets tied up in a blockage and if your not alert it can twist and flip many times this is on the distance from the machine to the drain clean out, if your using a drum machine you have the inertia of the drum, so it will take a little longer to stop the motion (on a full drum and blockage up close), the more distance the cable has more of the drain pipe to move in and wrap around in, if a heavy cable flips on one and catches one it can hurt or take some flesh, or more.

using the correct machine in the right size of pipe is important, if to light of cable is used in to large of pipe it can flip over on it self and basically knot it self in the pipe,

wear some proper gloves, (normally leather, some times with metal studs helps), wearing rubber gloves can get you wrapped up in a cable fast), wear some disposable rubber gloves under the leather for your health and protection. the cable will grab a rubber glove the softer the rubber the quicker it will grab it.

much of it is feel and experience, on a non power feed unit you feet the cable in by hand and with a power feed, you more use the free hand to feel the cable and the tension on it and feed with the power feed using the other hand, your foot on the switch. (I have no experience with the sectionals, but my guess is the procedure is much the same control the machine with one hand and feed with the other),

some use extensions or feed tubes to reach a drain clean out, that is not convenient, so less cable is exposed, and it is controled, (spmeone posted a picture of a system to reach roof vents from the ground using a drum machine on the ground),

this is some what I have learned from my limited experience,
                            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                            attributed to Samuel Johnson
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I PM'ED LAZ001 YESTERDAY WITH MY PRIVATE CONTACT INFO

AND ALSO HOW TO CONTACT RETIRED ROOTER FROM THE PZ SITE

AS HE ALSO KNOWS ALOT ABOUT SEWER MACHINES AND LIVES IN

THE SAME AREA SO HE CAN RIDE AROUND WITH HIM TO LEARN THE

IN AND OUTS OF THE DRAIN CLEANING SIDE OF PLUMBING

HE RUNS WITH THE DEPENDABLE GORLITZ SEWER EQUIPMENT
                              JERRYMAC
                              E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                              CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                              FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                              SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Working...
                              X