X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting wage ?

I know the answer varies by location, but my business has grown to the point that I have to hire a part time guy(Really im just getting tired of working allot), and I just realized ive been a one man show for 8 years so I have no Idea what a Starting out drain tech should make, the guy i am going to hire has no drain cleaning exp. so I will have no bad habits to break...Hopefully. He would only be working a day or two a week and be more of on call than working an 8 hour day, and also cover for me when im gone on vacation. Should he be paid Hourly/Commision and what is a fair $$$

Re: Starting wage ?

You should start him at the same wage I started at when I started my business. ZERO

When I first started with the guy that trained me it was 2-3 days a week and on call. I basically worked when he worked.
    My pay was 25% of the days take. I thought that was fair. On a good day with 3-4 jobs, work hard and get paid good. On a slow day 1 job with lots of windshield time, didn't work hard and got little pay and a free lunch.
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

If you expect a guy with half a brain to stick around long enough to learn enough to take over when your gone, your going to have to pay him very good.
      If a guy is only getting a few bucks a week he's either going to learn all he can from you then go to someone else all trained, or he's going to just up and quit when he gets a better offer to paint houses or something.
      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Does the guy have any clue as to what he is getting into? That will determine a lot.

Comment

Ya he is a kid that worked for me doing pipe bursting (In a different business i was involved with) Good kid, Smart, clean cut ,hard worker, and he has cleaned one or two drains

Comment

JACK from BESTLINE pays his guys $1500 a week
            ________
            Marijuana
            Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 06:36 PM.
            Mike

Comment

I'm not in the drain business, but I am in a long term business.

What are his expectations?? Rather than starting wage, will he be going in a direction that he will be happy for ~ 5 years. No one wants to train someone just in time for them to leave!

Does he need a certain amount/ week? (have his own family or does he live with his parents)

If you make him part of the business and he's good, he may stay. Pay hourly to begin with, then go to a commission ??

Comment

$12 an hour for a completely green guy

$14 - $16 per hour for 1 - 2 years experience

$16 - $30 per hour if he can sell and run the truck.
                (Usually 3+ better years on the job)

Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
                New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Just to put my $0.02 in,

In Chicago, a green apprentice starts at $15/hr and goes up from there with the first bump at 6 months.

That's union scale in a large metro area to do plumbing (with an apprentice license) and/or drain work.

If the guy is someone you trust and have confidence in, then you may want to start him low (couple bucks over minimum) offer him some incentives based on performance (for example pay bump when he completes his first 5 solo jobs with no call backs)

The bottom line is that good help is hard to find and never take anything for granted (him, your customers, yourself, your checkbook, etc. etc. etc.)

-Chris

Comment

Working...
                  X