Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the lethal weapons

what do you get when you mix a jetter and a root ranger

a lethal weapon

with almost a week straight of rain, i had my full share of area drain calls and pumps not working.

problem with area drain are that they are out of sight and out of mind until you need them. and out here, it's been a few years since we needed to worry about area drains.

i always have my customers test their drains by october. but this is a new customer and between the tree roots and the pool man back washing the pool filter diatomaceous earth down the drains, it takes more than a snake or k-60 to get them working.

it takes the lethal weapon

a root ranger paired up with my 18hp 3000# 5.6gpm cart jetter. as you can see, there was a combination of broken clay, thinwall abs and roots, sand, dirt and debris to clean out.

the roots were no challenge for the root ranger with forward cutting jet.

look for yourself.

rick.

notice how the root ranger cut and retrieved the roots on the head.

roots from the 4'' area drains that run from the rear pool area to the street approx 150+ feet.

the standard 1/4'' root ranger with the optional front facing jet. i'm running 100' of 3/8'' jumper hose, foot pedal and 130' of 1/4'' jet hose. plenty of pull and power.

here is some of the broken clay that washed out with the roots, sand and thinwall abs pipe. these were sitting in the pipe from years of snaking by others.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 01-26-2010, 02:17 AM.
    phoebe it is

Re: the lethal weapons

Nice catch Rick!

I was so relieved when your read the post and the pics finished loading.

For a minute I thought you were proclaiming your partiality to these Lethal Weapons (2)

What size was the clay? 4" or 6"?

Once again, well done

-Chris
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Swade Plumbing; 01-26-2010, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Now that's what I'm talking about!!! Try and get a Warthog to pull back tough old string roots like those!

I am taking a US Jetter 4018 out to a demo for a Council tomorrow. My weapons (nozzles) of choice, the 1/2" Root Ranger and the Tribine (3 large turbines rear facing).
      Regards, Bill

The definition of Insanity: "Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result."
      Albert Einstein

Comment

Rick,

is that the standard ridgid root ranger?

i was told by warthog that i can't use theres with your/min jetter specs.
        the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

Originally posted by Jerad View Post
          Rick,

is that the standard ridgid root ranger?

i was told by warthog that i can't use theres with your/min jetter specs.

jered, it's the standard ridgid root ranger with the optional front nozzle. the standard rear jet is a 4.5 and i'm not sure if the front is a #1 or 1.5?

your specs are very close to mine and maybe a #5 rear will still work.

believe me, the root ranger will eat a warthog for lunch plus you'll have enough money left over to go to lunch for the month

but remember that you need to eat your lunch as the rootranger will require you to rotate the hose along the way to clean the top of the pipe all the way. i've had good luck in 3'' pipe without rotating.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

you said it pulled your 1/4 hose 130 feet how much further do you think it will pull with that hose? my hose is also 1/4.

i have a guy on hold. trading a guy lettering for a some jetter work. i just don't want to put it off much longer. it is about 200 feet.

Comment

by removing the front jet, it will pull further than with it. you're not fighting the push pull of the 2 nozzles.

you should be able to get 200' with your 5.6gpm at 3000-3500 as long as you don't have lots of tight turns.

your best bet is to camera the line first and then dial in your jet to those problem areas. knowing where to work the jet is the way to success

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Jerad View Post
                you said it pulled your 1/4 hose 130 feet how much further do you think it will pull with that hose? my hose is also 1/4.

i have a guy on hold. trading a guy lettering for a some jetter work. i just don't want to put it off much longer. it is about 200 feet.

With the Root Ranger (with out forward jet), 1/4 hose, and my toy 3.5gpm jetter, I can get 200' no problem with my camera taped to the hose.
                I do have to assist the hose/push rod a bit in the last 30' or so.
                INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

does the forward jet diminish the pulling power quite a bit?
                  INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                  Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
                    does the forward jet diminish the pulling power quite a bit?
                    bill will know the exact #.

i think it's about 20%

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

i guess i'll have to order one today. when Marv gets in.

talked to Shane it will be here next week.:")
                      Last edited by Jerad; 01-26-2010, 04:54 PM.

Comment

You will notice 15% less thrust. Some guys just want pure thrust and cut, some want a front penetrator too and are happy to make the power compromise!
                        Regards, Bill

The definition of Insanity: "Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result."
                        Albert Einstein

Comment

i got my rootranger today and it has a plug in the front. is there a part number for the front jet? or do i just remove the plug?

Comment

You have to buy a PW 0 degree thread in tip and you might have to try a few to get the results you want. Because you don't want it to big or it will take power for thrust from the rear. You probably will not use it very much with a front tip anyway, tips are cheap buy a few to try when you do get a blockage that the root ranger just can not get thru.
                            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

do you have part numbers?

Comment

Working...
                              X