Ridgid 1/2" IW question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid 1/2" IW question

Anyone ever use the Ridgid 1/2" IW cable (the kind that is recommended with the K-380) in a Spartan 100?
    #
    Is it even possible with the inner drum?

Is there a way to get 1/2" IC cable that has male connectors compatible to the C-8's and 1/2" IW (both use the same heads I believe).

Trying to resurrect and old 100 for backup use and would like it to be compatible with the other machines in the shop.

Also, is it possible to get a 1/2" cable inside a 13/32" drum? I've been told by a few that the only difference in the drums is the part #

-Chris

Re: Ridgid 1/2" IW question

Yes you can get an inner core 1/2" cable with the R-type end. Have a look at Drain Cable Direct's 1/2" cable web page http://www.draincables.com/pages/drain_12cables.html If Marven reads this he will tell you the same thing, and probably has the cable in stock. AS for the 1/2" drum verses the 13/32 drum, I am not 100% sure if there is a difference. One thing that might be different is the anchor. Again Marven could answer this with 100% certainty. Maybe give Shane a call at Allen J Coleman see what he has to say about it.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    Ron's Facebook
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

The onlt differace in the spartan drums is the clutch setting. The 1/2iw cable takes the 3/8 and 5/8 sectional heads. The 1/2 iw has a fitting that is welded to the cable and is not as flexible at the fitting as the ic cable this is also true of the 3/8 iw the ic cable is mor flexible at the head. The iwcable is wound tight over the core so the core will not move there is a repair head for it but the iw heads are very expensive. If you ever use the 3/8 iw and need a repair head for it the ic repair heads work they are more flexible and cost much much less marvin

Comment

Ok, thanks Ron and Marvin for the info. 2 more questions

1. So the clutch on the 100 drums varies depending on cable size why again?

2. Also, here'e where I'm still baffled: I took an old drum from our back up 100 and tried to load it with 1/2" IW cable and it didn't want to make the initial push inside the drum.

Is the IW cable just too stiff to make the severe turn into the inner drum?
        Is this why Ridgid recommends the IW cable on the K380/K400 because it has no inner drum and thus the siffness of the cable would help prevent the cable from flipping on itself inside the drum?

So am I better off going with just a 1/2" innercore?

Comment

If you look at a 100 clutch you will see there are 2 friction discs on either side of the large plate. The only difference is the torque of 2 nuts holding the friction discs together. All you do is loosen the top nut and tighten the other nut tighter then tighten the top nut and viola you now have a tighter clutch.

There is NO difference between a 13/32, 5/16 or 1/2 model 100 drum OR inner drum ONLY the clutches. My 100 drum says 5/16 cable only and so does the clutch. I run 1/2 IC cable in it. because i have tightened the clutch up.

Comment

Working...
          X