X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric switch or air ?

In your opinion wich one is safer/easier on your foot ?
    all my drain machines are electric foot switches, small, flat and usually comfortable to stand on as long as your not standing on it all day,

But i did a sewer main a while ago and the house was not grounded so when i stepped on the switch my cable started arcing on the cast lateral, Kinda freaked me out a little, so ive been thinking of switching my machines to air operated foot switches, but from looking at them they look like they would start to hurt your foot after standing on them for a while,

Re: Electric switch or air ?

if your cable started to arch there is a problem somewhere else. I would stop using it right away……… until u get it fixed

Air is the way to go,
    Because you are not adding another electrical part that will come into contact with water” wet floor standing water” also if the machine was arcing you must not have a GFI ?
    Sent From The StoolBus

www.appletondrainandsewer.com

Appleton WI, 54915
    1-920-284-7471

Comment

I prefer electric switches over the air switch. Trouble with the air switches is if you shift your weight, the rod stops. If the rod stops on a tough blockage you can get hung up. I just find them very annoying. My father used electric switches, my grandfather used them I will use them.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

The air switch is safer but they sometimes start to leak. If there is a spark check the machine with a gfi if the switch does not have one. Always put the cable in the line before pluging it in to make your ground. I had a customer that had 2 men killed with a electric switch because of water. There are still a lot of people that waqnt the electric switches but spartan will not supply them anymore marvin

Comment

I agree with seweratz about the air switch. I hate them. I was trained with electric and its what I'm used to. I have a new 100 with air switch I hardly ever use it. I use my old syle one because I like the switch and its more powerfull then my new one.

Comment

Originally posted by rod man View Post
            The air switch is safer but they sometimes start to leak. If there is a spark check the machine with a gfi if the switch does not have one. Always put the cable in the line before pluging it in to make your ground. I had a customer that had 2 men killed with a electric switch because of water. There are still a lot of people that waqnt the electric switches but spartan will not supply them anymore marvin
            Marv who makes the clipper switch I bought off of you? I really like it cord is good and long no need for an extension cord most of the time, and the GFI built into it is pretty sweet. I never had any issues with that style GFI. I had GFI plugs on my jetters that just where a pain in the butt.
            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

The switch is a linemaster we wire a general gfi cord and a cord with a twist lock connector to it.spartan used the same linemaster switch at one time without the gfi. To convert the new airswitch to electric you just take the wire from the air switch and move it to the outlet on a 100 or 300 on a 1065 you change the cover to one with a outlet. Marvin

Comment

Air

I wedge it under the machine and go out to eat twinkies at the truck, make phone calls and multi-task while the machine is clearing the drain, making me money and water is rolling down the pipe.

SHAA-ZAHMMM!!!!
                Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

i like air except when they leak it can be a pita!! ive got buzzed a couple times with a elect. pedel .

Comment

Why do you need an air or electric switch? use a sectional.

Comment

I've seen both wear out over time though the electric tend to last longer for me. I prefer my 100 with the air switch, as I tend to be in damper environments more with it....but the 100 doesn't see much action for me.

The air switch on my General Sewermatic sucks. Not a fan, but I love having 3/4 hp and 75' of 5/8" cable in a compact unit that also breaks down easily, so I use it a lot. Especially nice for residential sanitary branches where you don't know if it's a soft blockage or roots or both. Not much heavier than the 100 either and has stair climbers.

My new-used 1065 has an electric a switch and it rocks.

-Chris

Comment

Originally posted by appletondrain View Post
                        if your cable started to arch there is a problem somewhere else. I would stop using it right away……… until u get it fixed

Air is the way to go,
                        Because you are not adding another electrical part that will come into contact with water” wet floor standing water” also if the machine was arcing you must not have a GFI ?
                        My machines all have a GFI and it never arced before or after that job so i think it was the house was not properly grounded (Im no electrician but if it were my machine i think it would have happened again) yes it does make me a little nervous standing on a electric switch with one foot while the other is in a puddle, but I think i have to agree with what most have replied with that air switches are uncomfortable and wear out faster,Thanks for all you inputs

Comment

my only complaint with the air switch is in low temperatures the stupid thing will freeze up. Sometimes not shutting off when you take you foot off the pedal.

when its cold out I have to keep the heat gun with the sewer machine.
                          No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

Originally posted by MoJourneyman View Post
                            my only complaint with the air switch is in low temperatures the stupid thing will freeze up. Sometimes not shutting off when you take you foot off the pedal.

when its cold out I have to keep the heat gun with the sewer machine.
                            A good rubber hose with no clamp on the machine end barbs.
                            Then just pull it loose and your back in the game.

Comment

Working...
                            X