Toilet flange roots

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toilet flange roots

After I'm done with work, my wife (I'm sure yours too) insists that I smell good. This is accomplished with various common hygene products and showering. But when you want to be a service plumber/drain cleaner, you must be prepared to get dirty, smelly, and occaisionally bruised and bloody. Rick isn't just a plumber, he's a business owner as most here are. Having worked for a large brand "rooter" franchise, I can tell you most of those guys are not happy with what they're making. They make a %(commission) (mine was 20%; probably standard) on whatever the final bill is. To be clear: there are some fine techs who are honest, skilled, and do whatever it takes money aside. BUT, there are plenty who "hit and run". The faster they're out of the house, the more $$ per hour they think they've made. The "smell good plumber" before you, Rick, didn't even try. We can only guess that a. He had no clue and was totally inept. or b. Totally lazy and not in the mood to pull a w/closet and look into and old waste pipe. Love to see the look on the HO face when pulling those roots; we know who she'll call next time..

Comment

rich, the homeowner/ renter was the one who took the picture of me and the roots

they too were very impressed as was i

the renter was responsible for normal stoppages and called from the yellow pages

when they found out how much that smell good plumber wanted, they called the owner, who called me

see, all the advertising in the world and they lost the job, to me with $0.00 in advertising. you can't put a price on word of mouth

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Hey! There's a steel flange that's still in one piece.

I have never witnessed roots growing into a pipe through a closet flange. Show n tell is interesting today.
        Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

That's a great story all around, and.. you're right! As a new business owner, I am marketing(phone book, magnets, truck wrap, etc.) to get things going and get my name out there. However, no advertisement or $$ spent comes close to a referral from a trusted friend or relative. I feel very encouraged that in the short time I've been in my own business, I'm already getting repeat business and the occaisional referral from my customers. I was in a condo today changing a water heater; talked to the owner over the phone several states away, he said, "Tony next door said you're the guy I should deal with. He says you do great work and your price is fair. If that's what Tony says, I know I can trust you." I was on cloud 9, but no amount of money spent on ads could match his neighbors mention. Someday, I hope to be in your boat. Busy just servicing old and newly referred customers. Some of these "big name" companies gotta keep selling because the turnover is high. Just love posts with pictures..

Comment

Working...
          X