Toilet flange roots

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toilet flange roots

how often to you pull a toilet to find roots growing into the flange and down the bend?

well yesterday i think i found a record breaker.

the renter was still using this toilet up until the last 6 weeks. when it stopped flushing, he turned to his yellow pages and called the smell good plumber problem was the smell good plumber smells good because they don't pull toilets they might get sewage into the house or on their snake. this is what the renter told me when they called me for a second opinion.

based on their description, i knew that the problem was roots growing down the flange. the 3'' cleanout on the outside garage wall was no help as the line was dry. so i pulled the toilet and found this monster close to 5' long and very dense.

i love it when i make those poor excuse for a plumbing company look like complete idiots. i doubt anyone of thier techs actually have a journeyman's license. just a bunch of crooks preying on the public.

rick.

roots that were growing between the flange and toilet. almost 5' long.

piping was replaced and the roots had an easy time following the pipe and getting in between the concrete and flange.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 01-28-2010, 12:53 AM.
    phoebe it is

Re: Toilet flange roots

wow rick, another one? didn't you post one just like this, a powder room theat rarely got used, a while back?
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

I have never found Flange Roots Can we nickname them that?
      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Common problem down here on the 27th parallel.

We pour table salt around the flange prior to
        resetting to discourage future growth.

Comment

So there was no need for the k-60?

Comment

Originally posted by jhplumbing View Post
            So there was no need for the k-60?

no just the rick-5

a thumb and 4 fingers plus a lot of pulling as it was attached to the piping pretty good.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

I came across this only twice in all the years I been doing this.
              Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
              A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
              Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
              Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

fairly commen here. especially with a repipe done poorly. toilets, sinks, shower/tubs. all they need is nutrient & water. watch 'em grow

steve
                In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

I had a call a few years ago, a 2nd story toilet wouldn’t flush good. After taking the toilet off the flange, I found 3” of the 4" the cast were roots. First time I ever snaked roots at a 2nd story toilet
                  Sent From The StoolBus

www.appletondrainandsewer.com

Appleton WI, 54915
                  1-920-284-7471

Comment

"Who knows what evil lurks in your plumbing?"

Rick does

Nice pull Rick

Comment

strangest one i can remember was the one that was a raised foundation about 3' crawl space. augured and pulled some roots. removed toilet to snake and found roots growing between the flange and toilet on a raised foundation.

crawl under the house and see a plant/ roots, bright red growing straight up and into the flange. this must have taken many years of dripping to support that root. cut the root off at the ground and reset the toilet. should be good for the rest of my time

wish i had a camera

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

I have gotten out some good ones that came around the flange and down the pipe..
                        Not as big as ricks though
                        Most of mine are from bald cypress trees
                        i pour salt around the flange also

Comment

I pulled what looked like a filthy rope with a root ball at the end going through a flange about a year ago. Not that experienced with roots, I was pretty surprised. You should have seen the look on the woman's face when I showed her the problem! Huge trees surrounding an old house with CI; no wonder. What Rick pulled beats my catch to shame! You'd think that other company would have at least used an auger and been suspicious enough to pull the toilet when they got snagged on roots? Very impressive even without a 60 to help, Rick

Comment

Originally posted by richinflorida View Post
                            I pulled what looked like a filthy rope with a root ball at the end going through a flange about a year ago. Not that experienced with roots, I was pretty surprised. You should have seen the look on the woman's face when I showed her the problem! Huge trees surrounding an old house with CI; no wonder. What Rick pulled beats my catch to shame! You'd think that other company would have at least used an auger and been suspicious enough to pull the toilet when they got snagged on roots? Very impressive even without a 60 to help, Rick
                            that's the part of my post that no one has hit on

the "smell good plumber" told the owner they can't pull the toilet as there might be waste in the line and they can't take a chance to get sewage in the bathroom

fortunately the renter was smart enough to part with his $99.00 and tell the guy to take a hike.

did he ever look for a cleanout on the wall no. but he did propose to install a cleanout of course i found the 3'' c/o on the other side of the wall, in the garage and it was dry.

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              that's the part of my post that no one has hit on

the "smell good plumber" told the owner they can't pull the toilet as there might be waste in the line and they can't take a chance to get sewage in the bathroom

fortunately the renter was smart enough to part with his $99.00 and tell the guy to take a hike.

did he ever look for a cleanout on the wall no. but he did propose to install a cleanout of course i found the 3'' c/o on the other side of the wall, in the garage and it was dry.

rick.

SOMETHING SMELLS ROTTEN ABOUT THAT "PLUMBER" ? ! !
                              JERRYMAC
                              E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                              CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                              FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                              SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Working...
                              X