Lav Drains...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lav Drains...

How do you guys handle snaking the lav drains? I always remove the P Trap and then run the cable down. Then I know that I will never scratch the sink with my cable.

Re: Lav Drains...

I always try the roof vent first if there is one.
    I realize, of course, that there are other factors to consider
    such as roof pitch and height. Down here on the 27th parallel
    most all of our roofs are single story, low pitch, and of course,
    no snow or ice. And most stoppages are at the bottom of the
    stack. If it turns out to be in the waste arm, then I pull the
    trap and go from there.

Comment

If the trap feels good i go right through the pop up
      If the traps weak , I change it and go through the pop up
      I just try hard not to get crazy with the cable
      BB or double lavs i go for the vent on the roof

Comment

I remove the trap and rod from the adapter/marvel connection. I see a lot of 1-1/2" waste arms that drop below the floor and dump into 2" with the tub, so I need as few bends as possible. Flush out the trap by hand or replace as necessary. I try not to rod through a trap if I can avoid it.

Occasionally I'll do it though. That's about the only time my pistol rod w/ 1/4" ridgid maxcore comes out. the rest of the time I use a k-50 with 1/4" and 5/16" drum attachments.

-Chris

Comment

i always pull the trap and go in from the stub.

steve
          In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by delcase View Post
            if the trap feels good i go right through the pop up
            if the traps weak , i change it and go through the pop up
            i just try hard not to get crazy with the cable
            bb or double lavs i go for the vent on the roof
            this is the way i do it also, if possible, :d

no mess dragging that old dirty nasty drain cable back plus you can run water and flush out the drain at the same time doing a better job of cleaning the line ! :d
            JERRYMAC
            E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
            CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
            FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
            SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Grab the k-50 with the drum adapter, remove the pop up and go from the top! I never pull the trap. I like to go from the top that way i can rinse my cable off

Comment

Through the trap with a bucket placed underneath first.

J.C.

Comment

It seems like the few times I tried to go thru the trap, I would end up going right thru the trap and end up with a mess. The bucket idea is great.

Comment

YES I FORGOT TO MENTION THAT I USE THOSE BLACK OIL DRAIN PANS

YOU GET AT AUTO PART STORES THEY ARE ALSO GREAT WHEN YOU DO NEED

TO PULL THE P TRAP, BUT THEY CATCH THE WATER IF YOU GO THOUGH THE

BOTTOM OF THE TRAP, I CARRY THEM INSIDE WITH SOME SJ WASHERS

AND SMALL CAN OF SLICK TITE FOR THE MALE THREADS

WORKS LIKE A CHAMP
                    JERRYMAC
                    E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                    CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                    FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                    SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

I like to go right through the sink as long as the trap is in good shape (I still put a bucket under the trap just in case) I think its much easier to tell where the clog is if you can have the sink backed up a little so you can see when the water starts to drain.

Comment

I go in from the top whenever I can.

I know you all are going to laugh at this but I like to use the Ridgid Auto-Spin for lavys. There!... I said it! feels good to get that off my chest

The K-50 doesn't fit on top of the tiny lavys we have here. Setting it on the toilet seat leaves too much cable hanging out. Dropping the trap on a drain that hasn't been touched in 25 years can lead to an afternoon of headaches and aggravation on everyones part. Not to mention the 10 minutes of removing personal belongings and expired hygeine products from inside the cabinet. Nearly half the lavys here are pedestals anyways. And I don't pull one of those unless someone is beating me with a wooden stick.

The K-39 seems bulky and unbalanced. Still a 2 handed operation that seems too clumbsy for me. The Auto-Spin isn't very versatile but for lavy and tub stoppages it's da bomb! No Fuss No Muss

Comment

Working...
                        X