X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better Cable?

Can someone settle it. I don't have experience with both.

Who makes better cable-General or Ridgid? Same size/type of course.

Thanks.

J.C.

Re: Better Cable?

I can't settle it. I have only used the smaller 1/4" and 5/16" x 25 cables from both companies.I prefer the general. To me its a stiffer cable and lasts longer. The 5/16" is better on roots.

Comment

I have used both brands with my K60 (7/8) and my K1500 (1.25) the first year it was only Ridgid cables Second year I mixed in general on the K60 using both at same time I was not able to tell any diffrence in wear.The third year used General on all machines and have not regreted it. I still price the Ridgid products but the local rep seems to be on another planet. So I will keep using General wire. Hope this helps.

Comment

I also say general.

Comment

I don't know which is better between ridgid and general since I've pretty much only used general cable in smaller machines, and MyTana, or Spartan in main sewer machines. One thing I do know is that general is available at almost every supply house here in the twin cities. I've never seen a ridgid cable at any supply house.
          Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

On the k-60 stuff 7/8 and 5/8 I have a mix of both and don't see any difference. I only have general and spartan 3/4" IC and my spartan is better by a long shot.
            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

OK, I made this video to show exactly what it takes to break a General 1.25 inner core cable with "L" type connectors.

I cleaned out my van one spring and took out two cables that had a slight kink. I set them next to a shed and forgot all about them so they spent the summer and part of winter on the ground in the weather, so they were a bit rusty and I was bored.

I am on snow/ice but this 4X4 plow truck has no problem plowing a foot of snow with out spinning.

Most of the backing up is actually the tension of the cable pulling me back when I let off the gas.

I have only used General cable so I can not compare, but I have never had a reason to try anything else.

Video quality could be better,sorry. Had to do with how I uploaded it. I could change it, but...

And never mind my Mainer hick accent
              Snaps at 2:38
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIzK0...layer_embedded
              Last edited by Gene Bickford; 01-30-2010, 02:06 PM. Reason: video
              INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
              Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

What link do I copy to here to have the video on the post?

URL or EMBED?
                INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Great vid Gene!

I have been useing 1-1/4" electric eel cables that are only about 6 months old. I have 5 of them that came apart at the coupling on the female side.

I have been thinking about buying general 1-1/4" cables because of the fact i am not happy with the eel ones.

Any one else have this problem with the 1-1/4" eel cables??

Comment

Originally posted by jhplumbing View Post
                    Great vid Gene!

I have been useing 1-1/4" electric eel cables that are only about 6 months old. I have 5 of them that came apart at the coupling on the female side.

I have been thinking about buying general 1-1/4" cables because of the fact i am not happy with the eel ones.

Any one else have this problem with the 1-1/4" eel cables??

I don't get it! When will these companies realize that even the slightest rumor of any cable problems will kill their sales. Of all the equipment I have the very last thing I want breaking is cable. I don't care what the cost is! If they have to raise cost to keep quality then raise the friggin' cost. Be known as the BEST in the industry, not the cheapest.

Comment

THINKS GENE I ALWAYS WANTED TO KNOW JUST HOW THEY MADE OPEN WOUND

CABLES !!!!!
                      JERRYMAC
                      E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                      CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                      FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                      SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Originally posted by JERRYMAC View Post
                        THINKS GENE I ALWAYS WANTED TO KNOW JUST HOW THEY MADE OPEN WOUND

CABLES !!!!!
                        Open wound as in winding or open wound as in bleeding?

You get close enough to that cable when it snaps and it truly will be open wound cable

Comment

good job gene

i was thinking that if you pulled out the tree or your hitch, that would have been funny

next time you have a spare cable, load it up in a 4'' pipe and let edith go at it. i would love to see what it takes as far as torque goes.

not sure if i would want to be on the end of edith

thanks,

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, I know you have experience with both. Opinions?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

I have torqued them hard enough with Edith to see a spark come from the cable. I'd like to film it with a high speed camera to see exactly what causes the spark. I'm not sure what it is but it makes an odd snap/jump.

I'm pretty sure Edith or my arms would give out before I could break the cable.

Comment

Working...
                              X