Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mrsa

MRSA:

I understand very little about it, but I'm hearing more and more about it even here in Maine.

DO NOT TAKE ANY OF THIS AS FACT:

From what I understand it can breed in sewer.
    It can spread by contact or airborne.

What steps can we take to protect ourselves?
    It sounds more contagious then Hep or everything else.

Is it time for full body suits and respirators, especially when jetting?

Like I said, I know very little about it but it sounds serious enough that we should have a discussion about it.
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Re: Mrsa

I googled it and it sounds like it is some kind of a staff/skin infection in most cases, it didnt say anything about it being in the sewers.

Comment

MRSA is just shorthand for a antibiotic resistant strain if a staph infection. It is a real bugger to treat because it isn't hurt by most antibiotics. It actually grows/lives pretty much everywhere. A local guy here fell in a water hazard while golfing, cut his forehead on a rock, and got it real bad. I believe he ended up dying of it several months later. Wear your gloves and use some good alcohol hand cleaner, especially if your hands are cut up and you should be fine.

Comment

MRSA has run rampant through High School and College Wrestling. It is spread very quickly and easily on those big foam mats. Before every match or tournament, the guys are looked over very carefully now. It is a form of staff infection and in some, is very difficult to treat.

Comment

google "community-associated mrsa". scroll down to cdph.ca.gov. this the state of cal health web site. it is the best read i have found on mrsa. my wife had a bilateral lung transplant on may 23, 07. she has mrsa. this is not something to take lightly. mrsa kills! by the way mrsa is pronounced mersa. breid.................

Comment

Keep your cuts covered up and wash up after you clean a drain..Or any other plumbing you touch
            Mrsa could be on any thing

Comment

My wife's oldest sister died 2 weeks ago from MRSA that got into her lungs and ate into a major blood vessel.. She caught it at the hospital when being treated for pneumonia. Before she died, anyone visiting her had to wear protective gowns and face masks. Its not just a skin disease.

Best personal defense is real good cleanliness habits and treating any open sores/wounds quickly, so it doesn't get a start.

Go
              Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Gene,

A plumber friend of mine has mrsa. It can't be cured, it can only be treated. There's only one or two antibiotics that will deal with mrsa. He caught the mrsa from a plumber he hired who is/was fairly unsanitary. The unsanitary one was in my truck one day, and moved it during the course of work. You think I didn't sterilize the inside of that truck after I found out? I had a brand new 90% full 2lb jar of raw almonds in there that I had to throw away because he's the sort that would grab some. (I should have given him the jar but don't want him to know I disinfect behind him)

The cost of the prescription to treat the mrsa was $7,500.

Both the plumbers are now carriers of mrsa. I won't let either one near my house, family or grandkids even though I like them both. I don't care how clean the one is. According to him though about 20% of the population are carriers of mrsa. It's a statistic I find hard to imagine, but the point is it only takes one person to be able to transmit it.

I wash/sterilize my hands numerous times during the day. I wear gloves while working as much as possible. I have never thought of the risk of blowback from a jetter as being a risk for mrsa, but why should it not be? (so thanks for that).

The bottom line is nobody has more interest in protecting yourself than you, so pay attention to your instincts.
                Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

On my jetter hose I wrap peices of red tape at 20 feet 15 feet 10 feet and 5 feet, so i know when im close to the nozzle and i stand back to avoid getting back blasted.

Comment

I went to a walk in clinic last week with a skin infection. I had never been to a walk in clinic but I agreed to go because my eyes where swelling shut. I filled out the info and advised of my sulfa drug allergy in the paperwork. I told the nurse I was allergic to sulfa drugs. The Dr. lanced the wound and drained it.....I asked him if he wanted to do a culture and see what bacteria was preent...he responded.."No need for that,the antibiotic I'm prescribing will take care of all strains of staph and mrsa is just drug resistant staph" I said ok.....and he refered me to a primary Dr. and prescribed me Bactrim DS 800/160 2 tablets twice a day for 10 days.

I filled the script and took one dose that night of 2 tablets and another dose of 2 tablets the following morning. I was feeling bad. My face was swollen to the point I was not looking like the same person. I scheduled an appointment with the primary Dr. and went in for the visit. He immediately noted that the other Dr. screwed the goose by prescribing me that medication and advised me to stop taking it. Warned of Stevens Johnson syndrome. he then took out a scalple and lanced it even more and packed it with 6" of shoestring looking gauze the call a wick to help drain the wound so it wouldn't seal itself and fill with infection. He said I would probably not be able to open my eyes the next morning and not to let that scare me into calling 911 or have a panic attack.....its normal considering whats been done and its location. He couldn't believe the other Dr. did not do a culture considering the severity and location of the infection......and now that I took 2 doses of a strong antibiotic that the culture he takes may not culture....so we are guessing on what antibiotic to take and I'm allergic to the antibiotic of choice to treat all staph infections.

All of that was on last wed. night and thurs.....today I had the "wick" replaced by another Dr. and he said the wound is healing so quick its unbelievable and whatever i have been doing to keep up the good work.

Things are looking good now with very little swelling and almost zero redness...but I still have the wick hanging out of my head draining fluid and blood. This is the last time the wick will need to be changed and Monday this one will come out and no more installed.

I refused pain medication and only took 2 tylenol extra strenght for pain.....why??? Because I'ma tough guy

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                      I went to a walk in clinic last week with a skin infection. I had never been to a walk in clinic but I agreed to go because my eyes where swelling shut. I filled out the info and advised of my sulfa drug allergy in the paperwork. I told the nurse I was allergic to sulfa drugs. The Dr. lanced the wound and drained it.....I asked him if he wanted to do a culture and see what bacteria was preent...he responded.."No need for that,the antibiotic I'm prescribing will take care of all strains of staph and mrsa is just drug resistant staph" I said ok.....and he refered me to a primary Dr. and prescribed me Bactrim DS 800/160 2 tablets twice a day for 10 days.

I filled the script and took one dose that night of 2 tablets and another dose of 2 tablets the following morning. I was feeling bad. My face was swollen to the point I was not looking like the same person. I scheduled an appointment with the primary Dr. and went in for the visit. He immediately noted that the other Dr. screwed the goose by prescribing me that medication and advised me to stop taking it. Warned of Stevens Johnson syndrome. he then took out a scalple and lanced it even more and packed it with 6" of shoestring looking gauze the call a wick to help drain the wound so it wouldn't seal itself and fill with infection. He said I would probably not be able to open my eyes the next morning and not to let that scare me into calling 911 or have a panic attack.....its normal considering whats been done and its location. He couldn't believe the other Dr. did not do a culture considering the severity and location of the infection......and now that I took 2 doses of a strong antibiotic that the culture he takes may not culture....so we are guessing on what antibiotic to take and I'm allergic to the antibiotic of choice to treat all staph infections.

All of that was on last wed. night and thurs.....today I had the "wick" replaced by another Dr. and he said the wound is healing so quick its unbelievable and whatever i have been doing to keep up the good work.

Things are looking good now with very little swelling and almost zero redness...but I still have the wick hanging out of my head draining fluid and blood. This is the last time the wick will need to be changed and Monday this one will come out and no more installed.

I refused pain medication and only took 2 tylenol extra strenght for pain.....why??? Because I'ma tough guy

Any idea on how this may have started ?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by AssTyme View Post
                          Any idea on how this may have started ?
                          A sebaceous cyst. A true sebaceous cyst is rare but thats how it started.

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                          i have pics of it but no way I'm posting them.....I scared kids with it tho A string hanging out of my forehead about 2" long...with 6" packed into the hole

Comment

Originally posted by TheMaster View Post
                            i have pics of it but no way I'm posting them.....I scared kids with it tho A string hanging out of my forehead about 2" long...with 6" packed into the hole

Comment

Yeah lets not do that...nobody wants to see that!!
                              Poor Planning On Your Part Does Not Constitute An Emergency On My Part!!
                              You can fire me...but you can't tell me what to do!

Derek

Comment

Working...
                              X