X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roots in a Fernco

Cleaned a couple of drains in the past week, that were both homes that had orangeburg and they were both replaced using pipe bursting, and both have gotten roots in the joint where the hdpe sewer pipe and the abs cleanout are joined together, and both were replaced about 3 years ago, has anybody else seen roots grow into a new pipe that soon ?

Re: Roots in a Fernco

Not that soon but roots will push on orangeburg so they can get between the fernco and the pipe. Plus I think people have a tendency to not torque a fernco as much on the orangeburg side.

Ferncos over Orangeburg should be cemented for added protection.
    INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
    Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

these wernt on orangburg, the pipe had been replaced using HDPE and ABS cleanout so one side of the fernco was around HDPE and the other around ABS and from what i could tell on the camera it was a smooth no offset, pipes butted up tight,no settling joint, and the home owners said they poured copper sulfate around the joint.

Comment

Here is another question, what is the standard Guarantee on roots in a joint on a new pipe ? around here its 1 year for defects in material and workmanship.

Comment

Originally posted by rhinorooter View Post
          these wernt on orangburg, the pipe had been replaced using HDPE and ABS cleanout so one side of the fernco was around HDPE and the other around ABS and from what i could tell on the camera it was a smooth no offset, pipes butted up tight,no settling joint, and the home owners said they poured copper sulfate around the joint.
          In that case I would assume it wasn't torqued to the recommended 60 in lbs.
          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Rhinorooter just a couple of quick questions. What do you call ferncos. Are they flexible connectors with hose clamps. What is orangburg and do you use a torque wrench as standard practice.

Just interested what you guys do over there as opposed to what we do over here

Comment

Fernco's is a company brand that is well known. Others may make them. The couplings are a rubber slip coupling with two screw clamps. One on each end.

http://www.fernco.com/

Orangeburg pipe is completely tar based pipe. Used at one time, not anymore.

J.C.

Comment

A fernco is a brand name for a rubber connection that has a hose clamp on both ends, it is around 1/4 inch thick and 1/2 goes around the orangburg and the other 1/2 goes around whatever type of pipe you are using to do a point repair and Ive never seen anybody use a torque wrench on them., orangburg is also a manufacture name of a pipe that is made from a tar/pitch type paper, it is called orangburg because one of the larger mfg of it was in orangburg new york, I believe the real name is Bitimous fiber conduit, it looks like tar/roofing paper that was rolled into a pipe, most of it around here has reached the end of its usefull life and needs to be replaced, but allot of people dont have the $$ to replace it all so they do a point repair and fix the worst spot, in my opinion they are wasting there money, but it does buy them more time to save up to replace the whole pipe later.
                Last edited by rhinorooter; 01-30-2010, 11:04 PM.

Comment

I dont use an actual torque wrench but I do use the torque tool for tightening the ferncos.
                  Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by Cleanmen2 View Post
                    Rhinorooter just a couple of quick questions. What do you call ferncos. Are they flexible connectors with hose clamps.
                    I used to think Fernco fittings were rubber, then a guy at the wholesale house enlightened me. They are actually made of PVC. (Maybe you can win a bar bet using this bit of trivia from a plumbing buddy. Just not Foster's. )

http://www.fernco.com/plumbing/flexible-couplings
                    From the Fernco site. <Made of tough elastomeric polyvinyl chloride (PVC), they are strong, resilient and unaffected by soil conditions. They are also resistant to chemicals, ultraviolet rays,>

Originally posted by Cleanmen2 View Post
                    Just interested what you guys do over there as opposed to what we do over here
                    We drink good beer instead of that Fosters.
                    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Working...
                    X