X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jetter or ROD ????

on individual jobs , What makes You choice either machine ?
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Re: Jetter or ROD ????

For me it can be a few things

Home with a 3 ½ clean out going to 6-8” line recommend jetting
    Heavy grease or sludge. Recommend jetting
    I will always give the customer the option but I will recommend jetting when it will do a better job.

Anything over 200’ will be jetted

When I give the customer the option and they chose snaking I just think to myself I will be back 6 months to a year vs. 1-2 years
    Its job security
    Sent From The StoolBus

www.appletondrainandsewer.com

Appleton WI, 54915
    1-920-284-7471

Comment

For me its a few things also
      Pipe type clay/cement/orangeburg etc...
      Type of clog
      roots in clay /cement/pvc Jetter
      roots in Orangburg -Cable, unless customer absolutely insists on a jet then they sign a release form that says when i blow a hole in your pipe im not liable !
      grease/sludge -jetter
      I recomend a jetter on all kitchen sink drains and i explain to the customer how a Cable will unclog a drain and a Jet will Clean the Drain Usually they go for the Jet after that, wich is a win win, More $$ for me and easier to do than a cable, and they get a better job, plus they tell all their neighbors and friends about this cool water thingy that you stuck in their pipe, and what a great job you did for them !

Comment

I prefer jetting most of the time. More confident it will do a more thorough job. Equipment is pricey, gotta charge $$ for it. The whole concept appeals to me.

Comment

Jet 95% of the time.
          Only rod heavy roots to just open line.
          Cabling takes more time and effort, more mess. When I do use a cable its the K60.

Comment

Over 125" I start wanting to jet but if I have to leave to get the jetter and come back sometimes it's faster just to snake it. 200' and over it's jetter time!
            If I have a outside cleanout on a tough job I will also lean towards the jetter but in a basement 200' to the cleanout plus the line I snake.
            Seattle Drain Service

Comment

If i had it my way I would jet and video every sewer and drain line I could, but we know that's just not realistic.

We cable a lot of drains but always pay close attention to what we are feeling on the other end and what is coming back on the cable. Most of the time we throw a camera down for our own peace of mind. If heavy roots are involved its always cable first and then jet. No jetting, no warranty. 99% of the time its cable, jet and RootX. This combo earns a one year warranty with a free video inspection at the end.

If sludge or sand is evident it is always jetting.

Whenever we jet we always video the line and provide before and after footage.
              www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

area drains with mud and debris is typically jetted.

sewers are always snaked first, unless i've camered the line and found heavy roots in the 6'' with only a 3'' c/o. plus over 150-175' it's jetter time

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Rod every time unless its asked for or i recommend.
                  I know it takes longer and is harder on the back but the rod machine stays on the truck all the time and the money aint in it to go back and forward.
                  I hope to have a jetter permanently setup on the truck soon and might push it on more jobs but till then a small rod machine and a couple coils sectional do well

Comment

Jetters are the lazy way to clear blocked sewers but the only way to clear stormwater pipes full of silt and soil washed from paths and roofs.

Tony

Comment

I only jet if the line has grease , sludge, or ice in the line, blockages a cable can not clear as well as a jetter. But I still cable first then jet to ensure there is nothing solid in the line or no broken pipes.

Now when it comes to tree roots I prefer to cable them. I can clear all roots from a sewer just as well as a jetter. Also I can do it faster. People will argue that they can run a jet in and out of a sewer a lot quicker than any cable machine, if you are starting the clock as you stick the nozzle in the drain and sticking the cable in the drain that is true. But what about set up time? Running the fill hose and filling you trailer, after jetting clearing all the water from the jet and putting everything away. I know for a fact I can set up a rod and break it down a lot faster than any jetter. Here in Illinois we have to take extra steps to ensure our jetters do not freeze after a job by running an antifreeze through the pump and hose.

Another issue with a jetter is wear and tear on the hoses, cable lasts a lot longer and is cheaper to replace. Maintenance an a cable machine is very minimal as well, where as on a jetter you have to change pump oil, engine oil and tune ups.

For a while I was on a kick where I did not give anyone a choice to jet the line or not. I came in rodded the line then followed up with a jetter. Then when I got my camera, and ran it down the line after rodding over 90% of them lines did not need any form of jetting. So that is when I realized I can do a great job with a rodder and stopped buying into the jetter sales hype. The machines have their place do not get me wrong, but so do many other machines in our industry.
                      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                        I only jet if the line has grease , sludge, or ice in the line, blockages a cable can not clear as well as a jetter. But I still cable first then jet to ensure there is nothing solid in the line or no broken pipes.

Now when it comes to tree roots I prefer to cable them. I can clear all roots from a sewer just as well as a jetter. Also I can do it faster. People will argue that they can run a jet in and out of a sewer a lot quicker than any cable machine, if you are starting the clock as you stick the nozzle in the drain and sticking the cable in the drain that is true. But what about set up time? Running the fill hose and filling you trailer, after jetting clearing all the water from the jet and putting everything away. I know for a fact I can set up a rod and break it down a lot faster than any jetter. Here in Illinois we have to take extra steps to ensure our jetters do not freeze after a job by running an antifreeze through the pump and hose.

Another issue with a jetter is wear and tear on the hoses, cable lasts a lot longer and is cheaper to replace. Maintenance an a cable machine is very minimal as well, where as on a jetter you have to change pump oil, engine oil and tune ups.

For a while I was on a kick where I did not give anyone a choice to jet the line or not. I came in rodded the line then followed up with a jetter. Then when I got my camera, and ran it down the line after rodding over 90% of them lines did not need any form of jetting. So that is when I realized I can do a great job with a rodder and stopped buying into the jetter sales hype. The machines have their place do not get me wrong, but so do many other machines in our industry.
                        I do agree that start to finish a cable machine is faster, and is less money to repair and maintain and cables do last longer than hoses and having to winterizing it 4 month of the year, but I get almost 2.5 times as much $$ for a jet than a cable so to me a jetter is more money per hour than a cable and in my opinion does a better job than a cable machine on roots.

When you say (you did not give a choice you rodded and then jetted) How did you present that to the customer, once the drain is open using a cable most people are good with that and dont want to pay for a jet ontop of a cable, Just curious how you sold that ?

Comment

Agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by rhinorooter View Post
                            I do agree that start to finish a cable machine is faster, and is less money to repair and maintain and cables do last longer than hoses and having to winterizing it 4 month of the year, but I get almost 2.5 times as much $$ for a jet than a cable so to me a jetter is more money per hour than a cable and in my opinion does a better job than a cable machine on roots.

When you say (you did not give a choice you rodded and then jetted) How did you present that to the customer, once the drain is open using a cable most people are good with that and dont want to pay for a jet ontop of a cable, Just curious how you sold that ?
                            They called me to clean a drain, we walk in with the rod get the line open, then we set up the jetter and jetted the line. People where amazed at the extra steps we took. At that time We only charged an extra $75.00 for the jetter plus our labor. If someone questioned the purpose of the jetter I explain to them how a rod would poke a hole in the blockage but would not clear it 100% as where the jetter would pressure wash the inside of their pipes and make them like new. I still use the above line when selling jetters on grease filled lines and such, but I do not bother with tree roots.
                            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

They called me to clean a drain, we walk in with the rod get the line open, then we set up the jetter and jetted the line. People where amazed at the extra steps we took. At that time We only charged an extra $75.00 for the jetter plus our labor. If someone questioned the purpose of the jetter I explain to them how a rod would poke a hole in the blockage but would not clear it 100% as where the jetter would pressure wash the inside of their pipes and make them like new. I still use the above line when selling jetters on grease filled lines and such, but I do not bother with tree roots.
                              Thanks for explaining, I use the same anology (I think thats the word im looking for) when i try and sell a jet job but i also try to sell it to remove roots,

Comment

Working...
                              X