X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K1500 Second Hand

I am abit new to Sectional machines and would like some tips.
    I have seen a second hand K1500 for sale,

What should I look for in a second hand machine?
    This machine is only been used to cut roots, will it cut roots in 6' lines ok?
    How offen do you need to replace heads and coil?
    Do I need two different coil sizes if I want to use in 4' and 6'

Any advice would be appreciated

Re: K1500 Second Hand

you should have asked last month when i was there. i would have met you between adventures

the k-1500 will clean lines between 2''/ 50mm-and 8''/ 200mm

the jaws can be changed to run 7/8'' cable 22mm? 7/8'' will work good for 2-4'' and 1 1/4'' will cover 3-8''

the cables will run different size cutter heads to easily clean grease. wipes, roots, and critters

as far as a second hand machine goes, you need to look at the overall condition and listen to it and smell it the motor and grease will smell burned if it's been abused.

post some photos.

my first attempts at the sectionals were on used machines. including my k-60. 3 years later and still going strong. i would be more concerned with used cables than a used machine

post some pictures and we'll give it once over

where in new zealand are you and welcome to the ridgid forum. we can use more lady drain cleaners

rick.
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 02-05-2010, 08:49 AM.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Drainlady View Post
      I am abit new to Sectional machines and would like some tips.
      I have seen a second hand K1500 for sale,

What should I look for in a second hand machine?
      This machine is only been used to cut roots, will it cut roots in 6' lines ok?
      How offen do you need to replace heads and coil?
      Do I need two different coil sizes if I want to use in 4' and 6'

Any advice would be appreciated
      I personally wouldn`t buy a second hand K1500 as you don`t know how hard it has been worked most sewers and stormwater drains are blocked with trees roots and a lot stress has been exerted on the motor and all the other parts of the K1500 the most common size of cable is 40mm which can clear 100mm or 150mm sewerage pipes

Tony

Comment

As long as the motor is solid I say go for it.

We've been using the 1500 for years and years and years. They're workhorses.

I have one from '83 on the original motor and it gets a regular diet of 6" clay pipe packed with roots.

I have another that pre-dates Ridgid (making it ??? old) also on original motor.

Just change the jaws regularly (like you would your brakes on your car) and clean and grease (like you would your oil)

Make sure that the switch works ok too.

Comment

You're asking some basic questions that make me question your drain cleaning experience. A 1500 is not a machine you want to learn on.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
            You're asking some basic questions that make me question your drain cleaning experience. A 1500 is not a machine you want to learn on.
            Awww, come on Ben I learned on 1500 and I still have most of my fingers!

That is an excellent point though, but I don't know that one machine is "safer" than another to learn on.

Really is too bad that Rick is back from his trip already

Comment

Thanks Rick, for your advice, we are currently a company that operates drain cameras and hydrojet machines, and in the past not got into sectional machines at this stage we contract in one company to do all the sectional work, so even though he had no experience we have plenty of general drainage inspection/cleaning knowledge (gear junkie), and of course you have to start somewhere when you purchase a sectional machine, just as I am sure each one of you did some years ago. It is always helpful getting real hands on knowledge as every salesman not always sells you the best product for you needs, and due to the volume we do, maybe we start with a second hand.

Machine we are looking at is 5-6 years old.
              Attached Files

Comment

Looks good! Whenever you can still read the name on the front the machine is still young!
                Seattle Drain Service

Comment

i have the same machine with literally a couple hours on it.

is yours the 3/4 or 1hp. motor?

once you get the 1500 under your wings, you'll be ready for the king of all machines

the k-60

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Drainlady View Post
                    Thanks Rick, for your advice, we are currently a company that operates drain cameras and hydrojet machines, and in the past not got into sectional machines at this stage we contract in one company to do all the sectional work, so even though he had no experience we have plenty of general drainage inspection/cleaning knowledge (gear junkie), and of course you have to start somewhere when you purchase a sectional machine, just as I am sure each one of you did some years ago. It is always helpful getting real hands on knowledge as every salesman not always sells you the best product for you needs, and due to the volume we do, maybe we start with a second hand.

Machine we are looking at is 5-6 years old.
                    Welcome Aboard, Drain Lady. Hope You hang with Us Yanks from now on . Tool
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

If the dough's right Tiger, grab it.

Only way to go as far as I'm concerned. The 1500 aint happy, unless your sweating with it. And if your the one lifting it around, trust me, you will be.

Personally I like the Older ones (1hp) pretty sure those fancy shiny types are only 3/4.
                      Clear advantage of newer model is that it's about 700kg's lighter (approx) though.

Get into it! Just take it nice and Easy. Stop procrastinatin' and get somethin' done!
                      But for Christssakes' BE Careful! ( these are the four simultaneous instructions that I got from my 1st boss, on every job I did for that maniac.

Comment

Working...
                      X