Heavy Scale Removal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavy Scale Removal

So we have done a lot of descaling lately using various techniques and equipment. I am curious what all of you are doing and what type of equipment you are using. This is VERY hard on ALL equipment involved and very labor intensive so I am looking for other ideas.

Please share any experiences you may have had removing aggressive scale build up. Thanks in advance!
    www.firstresponsedrain.com

Re: Heavy Scale Removal

do you have the carbide inserts on your warthog?

a root rat might be the choice with the chain flails.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

I use a chain knocker to descale pipe. Always worked perfect for me. I had many jobs where even the village told people that the sewer needs to be replaced. I shocked them all by showing them the before and after of running a chain knocker.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I do have the carbide inserts in the WH and it still is taking a major beating. I also have a 4"-6" Nozteq Lumberjack nozzle. They all just seem to be wearing out REALLY fast!

I did demo a ENZ nozzle recently that worked well but has a HUGE price tag. Spending over $3000 on a nozzle is hard to do especially when it will only be used on this type of application.

I am familiar with the root rat nozzle but I feel like there are better chain flail nozzles available or something else I may not be aware of.

I am doing my due diligence to be sure i make the best choice before the cleaner show. I plan to purchase it there and I want to have my bases covered.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
          I use a chain knocker to descale pipe. Always worked perfect for me. I had many jobs where even the village told people that the sewer needs to be replaced. I shocked them all by showing them the before and after of running a chain knocker.
          I assume you mean for a cable machine not a jetter?

Comment

Originally posted by jrsaltz View Post
            I assume you mean for a cable machine not a jetter?
            Correct.

Comment

I use a cable and the biggest bit I can force in on a bent leader cable to grind it off the walls, then jet it out. Never tried a chain knocker; looks like I need to get one.

Jetting up from below if possible with cranked up pressure often does better than I'd expect. Had one coked up bad not too long ago, 4" cast at a laundromat. Had fins at the tide lines a half inch or more, part scale, part coked up detergent. was feeling lazy and didn't want to snake, plus I'd just got my rootranger. Warthog wouldn't touch it, but rootranger tore it off. Took some time and use of camera to position the nozzle but it did the job.
              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Who makes the knockers you like Ron? Marvin have them? You run them on a sectional or a drum? Need the speed of sectional or no?
                This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

i have a 4 inch cast that needs to done. he just keeps putting it off. now that i know that the ranger will work on it. i'll have to give it a try. next time i talk to him.
                  the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

Jake Check out http://www.goodway.com Look at their flexible shaft setup and descaling items. We are going to purchase a flexible shaft setup. We used one to cut a failed liner out. I like the sink jet they have, I need to stop in to look at it.

Comment

Ron has either a old ridge chain knocker or a rothenberg. Ridge does not make them like that anymore. The new ridge are just a hub with chain around it they lay on the bottom and are too heavy to pick themselves up. They come in 4 6 and 8 inch but all will go though the 4" the larger are better as they have more chain. Ridge is very proud of these as you will see by the price we still have a few old ridge in stock for 7/8 and 1 1/4 marvin.i will be back on tomorrow and leaving this laptop in fl i will be back on after louisville

Comment

Chain Jetting nozzle removing a ton of scale, but use up chain like crazy. You only get a coulpe of min with all the chain staying on. I dont like all the big pieces left behind. Seem to take longer to remove the chunks than it does to brake them off. Always seems like these jobs are from the wrong direction. Up line

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                          Who makes the knockers you like Ron? Marvin have them? You run them on a sectional or a drum? Need the speed of sectional or no?
                          Originally posted by rod man View Post
                          Ron has either a old ridge chain knocker or a rothenberg. Ridge does not make them like that anymore. The new ridge are just a hub with chain around it they lay on the bottom and are too heavy to pick themselves up. They come in 4 6 and 8 inch but all will go though the 4" the larger are better as they have more chain. Ridge is very proud of these as you will see by the price we still have a few old ridge in stock for 7/8 and 1 1/4 marvin.i will be back on tomorrow and leaving this laptop in fl i will be back on after louisville
                          I have both the old Ridgid and the Rothenberger, also have it for 7/8 and the 1 1/4 cable. Ace you are right you do need the speed of the sectional for these to do a good job. And yes Marvin has them at Alan J Coleman, thank you Marvin for your quick response. Have a safe trip back to Chicago.

Comment

Originally posted by HighlandS&D View Post
                            Jake Check out http://www.goodway.com Look at their flexible shaft setup and descaling items. We are going to purchase a flexible shaft setup. We used one to cut a failed liner out. I like the sink jet they have, I need to stop in to look at it.

I have been looking at these closely over the past couple of years for our lining work. This is a great way to reinstate lines that tie in and have been lined over. Plus, there are some awesome tools for cleaning and descaling.

I am preparing to descale a 150 ft. 8 inch clay line that come from a softener backwash line for one of my biggest customers. They make soap at this plant so you can only imagine what size softener I am talking about. It has it own building and around the clock staff just for it alone!

This line is 8 inch as i said and we can't even get the SeeSnake with the ball guide through more than 25 ft. This is serious scale we are talking about. This line would cost over 6 figures to replace and would be an engineering nightmare to reroute and so it has been requested that we descale it. We just got done doing this to a 325ft. run of 6 inch schedule 80 at the same place for a smaller RO system. It took a long time and was hard on the equipment.

Again, just looking for ideas on better ways we can make it easier and less destructive on our equipment. Thanks for all the input so far!

Comment

JR did you get your DVD fixed? And what was it?
                              Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Working...
                              X