Area drains and the root ranger

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Area drains and the root ranger

you guys might have snow, but we've had a more than normal rainy season. because of this, area drains that normally haven't been an issue, are now an issue.

here's a 1970 building with thin wall 4'' abs area drain piping running 204' from the sump pit to the curb. this picks up 5 roof gutter down spouts and a 2'' pump discharge. problem was the line is broken under the broken asphalt driveway. not to mention all the roots, sand and gravel too.

so what's a plumber to do

break out the root ranger and go to town. 18hp. gas jetter at 5.6 gpm 3000psi. the photos show the results of the cleaning and flushing. the line actually is draining now and will be replaced when the owner replaces the 200' driveway.

enjoy the photos.

just more proof that the root ranger is a must have nozzle for any gas jetter on jobs from 3'' on up.

not too sure if 1.5-2 h.p electric jetter will have too much pulling power.

rick.

4'' area drain next to sidewalk and driveway. look at the size of the roots. this was not originally visible due to the mud and ground cover. i was running the jetter from the curb about 10' away.

what's nice is the ability for the rr to hook and pull back the samples of roots.

that's right. all the sand gravel and broken pipe was washing out to the curb.

not a bad catch of roots, and pipe too. notice the 3/4'' id garden hose for comparison.

no the phone wasn't part of the catch. it's my phone to show the size of the root mass.

shoveled up more than a 5 gallon bucket of debris.

note that the root ranger at 1 point came out of the ground through the broken pipe. amazing nozzle to use, watch and listen too.

rick.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 02-07-2010, 01:15 AM.
    phoebe it is

Re: Area drains and the root ranger

Hi Rick, Nice job on that drain, looks like it would have been a nightmare of a job. I Was looking at some youtube videos and was wondering if the root ranger could be improved with a forward nozzle? looking at this video it seems like the ranger may have a hard time pushing through some root blockages and a front jet might help clear the way.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbMRwUTolgI
    ________
    Bmw 003
    Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 05:39 PM.
    Mike

Comment

i do have a removable jet on my 1/4'' root ranger. this job i didn't use it.

my 1/2'' is not drilled for a front jet, yet

rick.
      Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 02-07-2010, 01:14 PM.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        you guys might have snow, but we've had a more than normal rainy season. because of this, area drains that normally haven't been an issue, are now an issue.

here's a 1970 building with thin wall 4'' abs area drain piping running 204' from the sump pit to the curb. this picks up 5 roof gutter down spouts and a 2'' pump discharge. problem was the line is broken under the broken asphalt driveway. not to mention all the roots, sand and gravel too.

so what's a plumber to do

break out the root ranger and go to town. 18hp. gas jetter at 5.6 gpm 3000psi. the photos show the results of the cleaning and flushing. the line actually is draining now and will be replaced when the owner replaces the 200' driveway.

enjoy the photos.

just more proof that the root ranger is a must have nozzle for any gas jetter on jobs from 3'' on up.

not too sure if 1.5-2 h.p electric jetter will have too much pulling power.

rick.

4'' area drain next to sidewalk and driveway. look at the size of the roots. this was not originally visible due to the mud and ground cover. i was running the jetter from the curb about 10' away.

what's nice is the ability for the rr to hook and pull back the samples of roots.

that's right. all the sand gravel and broken pipe was washing out to the curb.

not a bad catch of roots, and pipe too. notice the 3/4'' id garden hose for comparison.

no the phone wasn't part of the catch. it's my phone to show the size of the root mass.

shoveled up more than a 5 gallon bucket of debris.

note that the root ranger at 1 point came out of the ground through the broken pipe. amazing nozzle to use, watch and listen too.

rick.
        That blows My mind !!!! Did You enter from a man hole ??
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Rick,

Great Pictures and you always look like you having so much fun !

You hiring ..lol j/k

I wish you would have been my boss, You always in a good mood on the job!

Thanks so much for posting the 'Action Shots'

~Joseph

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
            That blows My mind !!!! Did You enter from a man hole ??
            no, it's 4'' through the curb. used both the 4'' curb oulet and the 4'' area drain that's pictured.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Great shots rick The root ranger is a great asset as you really can listen to the drain, as are the rest of the nozzles that .The screwdriver tip has been most helpful since i received it from Bill.I still see you guys srewing your nozzles on, we use the quick method and its great.

Comment

They'll catch on one day mate!

Originally posted by pressy View Post
                Great shots rick The root ranger is a great asset as you really can listen to the drain, as are the rest of the nozzles that .The screwdriver tip has been most helpful since i received it from Bill.I still see you guys srewing your nozzles on, we use the quick method and its great.
                Regards, Bill

The definition of Insanity: "Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result."
                Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by pressy View Post
                  I still see you guys srewing your nozzles on, we use the quick method and its great.
                  Originally posted by bill2601 View Post
                  They'll catch on one day mate!
                  on the root ranger, i doubt the extra length and weight would matter. but how does it allow you to rotate the head when you drop the pressure and need to rotate the head?

on a normal 1/4'' nozzle, it seems to bulky and too stiff to allow it to get around the tight turns and small openings.

honestly with a proper open end wrench to grip the hose, it only takes a few seconds to swap a head or nozzle.

the old saying of keep it simple still applies here

now on my hoses and equipment i have a combination of quick connects and 22mm connectors to link everything. but remember that these hoses don't require them to drag through pipes where flexibility, weight, and size matters.

at 1 time i purchased 100 assorted 1/4'', 3/8'' male, female, stainless steel quick disconnects. so it's not like i don't use them.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                  X