X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drain cleaning startup?

An ex-boss of mine that I keep in touch with was asking me to look online for some information on drain cleaning. He does not know how to use a computer.

What drain cleaning equipment do you think would be needed for a small shop that would do mostly residential + some restaurants.

I was thinking along the lines of a K-400 and a K-60. The K-60 would be for roof top and outside access; while the 400 for indoor applications.

Do you think we would need a drain camera and locator, or a jetter? How mush cable would we need to keep on the truck and what are the most common cutter heads?

Rick clean out your inbox!

Re: Drain cleaning startup?

in box is full, but my forum box is smoking

cameras and jetters are a plus to any drain cleaning operation.

but not every drain cleaner is going to spend the money on cameras and jetters. just like not every doctors office does in office x-rays. some send you out for lab work.

you know how i feel about the k-60

never had a k-400

but a k-39 and k-60 with 5/8'' and 7/8'' will give you a good start for most residential. adding a camera and jetter will give you the edge over the competition.

i also keep the 1.25'' and timberwolf for the real nasty stuff.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Oh no Now Rick wants his own section called Ricks Forum Box
      Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Every unemployed Tom Dick ,and ,Sally wants to do drain work now !

Move over for the $ 39.00 specials coming to Your Hood.

The broken off cable retrieval Buss. will be a boom for You all!
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Post translates to:

" I have no idea what I'm doing but could you tell me what I need to start a drain cleaning business"

Another example of If you gotta ask questions like this you have zero business attempting to start a company, you are only doing yourselves and anyone unlucky enough to call you diservice...

If I had to ask a question like this I would try to ask it in private too

Comment

So ez a caveman could do it !
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
              Post translates to:

" I have no idea what I'm doing but could you tell me what I need to start a drain cleaning business"

Another example of If you gotta ask questions like this you have zero business attempting to start a company, you are only doing yourselves and anyone unlucky enough to call you diservice...

If I had to ask a question like this I would try to ask it in private too

Well because the question is not for me I don't really care. It was a favour for an old boss of mine (as stated in the post). Some people in their late 50's are not to computer savvy. I also find it odd that a questions about RIDGID drain machines cannot be asked on their forum.

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                Every unemployed Tom Dick ,and ,Sally wants to do drain work now !

Move over for the $ 39.00 specials coming to Your Hood.

The broken off cable retrieval Buss. will be a boom for You all!
                My old boss is not unemployed nor am I. He has a successful plumbing company and was thinking of expanding into drain cleaning. He was more interested on pricing of the proper equipment. The work would be done by someone with drain cleaning experience; which he would hire after acquiring the proper equipment. Its hard to hire someone that knows what there are doing and say "yeah uuum come work for me and then I'll get all the equipment......".

Comment

The best advice you could give the guy who wants to start up a drain cleaning business, is to go to work for a reputable, licensed drain company for a few years, to gain the needed skills.

The best gear in the world is useless in the hands of a novice.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                    in box is full, but my forum box is smoking

cameras and jetters are a plus to any drain cleaning operation.

but not every drain cleaner is going to spend the money on cameras and jetters. just like not every doctors office does in office x-rays. some send you out for lab work.

you know how i feel about the k-60

never had a k-400

but a k-39 and k-60 with 5/8'' and 7/8'' will give you a good start for most residential. adding a camera and jetter will give you the edge over the competition.

i also keep the 1.25'' and timberwolf for the real nasty stuff.

rick.
                    Thanks Rick.

Comment

Originally posted by eddiegoodfellar View Post
                      An ex-boss of mine that I keep in touch with was asking me to look online for some information on drain cleaning. He does not know how to use a computer.

What drain cleaning equipment do you think would be needed for a small shop that would do mostly residential + some restaurants.

I was thinking along the lines of a K-400 and a K-60. The K-60 would be for roof top and outside access; while the 400 for indoor applications.

Do you think we would need a drain camera and locator, or a jetter? How mush cable would we need to keep on the truck and what are the most common cutter heads?

Rick clean out your inbox!
                      Are you sure you are just asking for someone else???

Ask away about machines but you are talking about performing a service that you have no business in.... You have shown your intent and it is irresponsible and could be downright dangerous to you and your customer, If you don't realize this it only reinforces my stance....

Good luck with the business and thank goodness for licensed plumbers because we will be the ones comming behind you to clean up your mistakes.

Job security

Comment

Originally posted by MasterplumberKC View Post
                        The best advice you could give the guy who wants to start up a drain cleaning business, is to go to work for a reputable, licensed drain company for a few years, to gain the needed skills.

The best gear in the world is useless in the hands of a novice.
                        Thank you. I see we posted at the same time .

The questions were actually for the owner of a company. He wants to hire an experienced guy. He thinks it would be flakey and not very professional to try and hire someone and not have the necessary equipment.

I do agree with everyone that you can't just start a drain cleaning with no experience.

Comment

Ask away about machines but you are talking about performing a service that you have no business in.... You have shown your intent and it is irresponsible and could be downright dangerous to you and your customer, If you don't realize this it only reinforces my stance....

Good luck with the business and thank goodness for licensed plumbers because we will be the ones comming behind you to clean up your mistakes.

Job security
                          "WE" was a typo. I guess I can see why everyone thinks I'm trying to start the company.

Comment

Job security
                            Why is you think I am unlicensed? I am fully ticked in Plumbing and am also a Class B Gasfitter.

Comment

If your company is new to drain cleaning. You will limit yourself if you get the equipment first...

You could miss out on a fantastic drain cleaner because he is a drum guy and you just bought a truck full of sectionals.

Let your expert decide what equipment he needs... You can try out guys on rental equipment to see how they do or a few guys may even have some of their own equipment...

Find the person then go forward...IMO

Comment

Working...
                              X