Fun Tours

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun Tours

So as i posted in an earlier thread, i had to drop off my trailer jetter to O'Brien Mfg. in Marietta Ohio on Thursday for a major upgrade. While i was there they gave me a full tour of their facility. I got to see where they make all of the trailer jetters and vacuum loaders. it was really impressive.

On the way back we stopped in Springfield, Ohio at the Elictric Eel factory and home office. I was also given a tour of it as well. I got to meet all of the owners and some of the office staff and guys who make their cameras, cable and machines. They are a very nice group of people and many have been working there for over 20 plus years! I got to watch as they wound cable for sectionals and drums. There were piles of cable, cutters and machines everywhere!

I saw where they repair cameras and got a sneak peak of a new camera system coming soon. I got to see some new tools and equipment they are developing and testing. it was pretty cool!

I had not owned any Eel equipment before going there but I ended up buying something awesome when me and Shane from Allan J Coleman returned to their shop in Chicago that night.

It is an expandable cutter. I have been in the market for one but i have not liked any i had seen until i saw Eels. It is awesome! It is a triple blade expandable cutter and it is built really strong! Once i saw it i had to have it. I don't know why i hadn't seen it before. I will get some pics of it and post it on here. It is solid and i was shown how it is made from bar stock. It is spring loaded from the middle unlike many i have seen that have an exposed spring. I think it will work well and the blades are changeable from 3" through 8" and the blades are extremely thick.

Anyway, I had a great time with Shane for a couple of days. I talked about the forum a lot with him. He and Marvin are great people with a wealth of knowledge in the drain biz. They have anything you could imagine in their shop and provide repairs and service to anyone anywhere in the US for every type of camera and machine. I don't mean to plug them here but i really appreciate their help whenever i need it. I know others here can back that up too.
    Last edited by jrsaltz; 02-14-2010, 04:20 PM. Reason: grammer
    www.firstresponsedrain.com

Re: Fun Tours

i'd like to see that pic.
    the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

WILL THE EEL EXPANDABLE CUTTER WORK ON RIDGID AND GENERAL ?? Do they have this in several sizes?
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I had one of the Eel expandable cutters. It worked ok for about three jobs then I snapped one of the blades off. Not just the blade but the part the blade attached to. I still use the Ridgid expandable cutter that is welded to a 3/4" leader I get from Allan J Colemans.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        Ron's Facebook
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I've had factory tours of three different vacuum truck manufacturers which is very cool. Two were basic metal fab shops where the truck stayed in it's bay until it was done. Kieth Huber is set up like an assembly line. Their portable toilet trucks are modular. If you ever were to get in a wreck you could unbolt and remove the damaged part and replace it.

The most interesting factory tour was at Orenco Systems. They make all of their own fiberglass parts. They use two robots that used to belong to GM. It was fascinating watching the robots do their thing.
          www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

What kind of upgrade were you getting to the trailer jetter?
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
              What kind of upgrade were you getting to the trailer jetter?

My jetter has what is called IntelAcontrol. It is a completely wireless feature that allows me to control it with a remote. It has a very intricate computer system on it. However, over the past several months it has gone haywire and has been replaced 3 times! Without question they have sent me complete computer systems for it and each one has had its own bugs.

I later learned that the company that was making the computer systems for them just rolled up and stopped returning calls and emails leaving O'Brien high and dry and scrambling for a solution. They committed to fixing this problem once they found someone to develop a new control panel.

Just recently they committed to fixing mine at no charge to me. They also provided me with a loaner machine at no charge. The loaner has the NEW IntelAcontrol system on it and it is amazing!!! It is a 2000PSI @ 40GPM compared to my 3000PSI at 30 GPM but it will get the job done. It has the same set up with the 3/4" hose x 500ft., 700 gallon tank and Cummins diesel motor on a tandem axle. It is all touch screen, has very precise controls that surpass the previous model and looks even cooler!!! So far it is functioning well and i am excited to get mine back with the new set up.

It will take 2 weeks to install the new system on my machine and i will be taking the loaner to the Pumper/Cleaner show and they will be bringing mine to switch out there. They are really putting a lot of effort into this and i am grateful they have found a solid solution for this. This thing has actuators all over it and everyone has to be changed as well as some major fabrication to accommodate the new control panel. New auto vales and entire wiring harness will be replaced as well.

Again, they are doing this at NO COST TO ME!!! I will always be a fan of O'Brien jetters. They are really going the extra mile to get this done!

Comment

The Electric Eel expandable blade is not new. They have been out for years I have one from 1999. Think they made them for a short time stopped and now making them again. I love this expandable blade I bought it new in 1999 and I still use it today. hold on I'll go take a picture. All they had was one size then now they have three sizes. I'm going to order the other two.
                Have used this blade a few thousand times and has never failed. It maybe one of the original prototypes. I bought from one of their reps years ago
                Attached Files
                Last edited by UnClogNH; 02-14-2010, 05:03 PM.
                Rod
                MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                http://unclognh.com
                http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

All you need to increase the size are the appropriate blades. The blades vary in size from 4" - 8" the blade holder/expandable mechanism is the same. All you need to do is order bigger blades and you are all set!

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                    I had one of the Eel expandable cutters. It worked ok for about three jobs then I snapped one of the blades off. Not just the blade but the part the blade attached to. I still use the Ridgid expandable cutter that is welded to a 3/4" leader I get from Allan J Colemans.

We took a Spartan leader and cut the ends off and added the eel female end on the front and a Spartan .66 male on the other. i will run this off of my 1065 that has 125ft. of .66 Magnum cable. I cant wait to use this thing!

Comment

Originally posted by jrsaltz View Post
                      We took a Spartan leader and cut the ends off and added the eel female end on the front and a Spartan .66 male on the other. i will run this off of my 1065 that has 125ft. of .66 Magnum cable. I cant wait to use this thing!
                      Just watch out for the tight turns in some of them clean outs. Before I broke it, it was amazing. Once it broke where the blade attaches, I just put it on the shelf and never looked back.

Please post back and let us know how it performs, who knows maybe the one I had many years back just might of had a bad casting on that part that broke.
                      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                      Ron's Facebook
                      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Yes, it is a great tool. It can get stuck easy to many turns, Hit an outside running trap can ruin your day fast.
                        I will only run this blade as a finish tool only. After viewing the sewer lateral making sure there is nothing to get caught on. After the first pass with either a C cutter blade or spiral blade the expandable does a great job.
                        Rod
                        MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                        Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                        http://unclognh.com
                        http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Working...
                        X