X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commercial Dishwashers bad for cable?

Obviously drain chemicals are terrible for cable but what about the waste water of a commercial dishwasher? Snaked out the drain of one today as the washer was going and it cleaned my cable great. Never seen a cable come back so shiny. I know the water is extemely hot and there has to be dish cleaning chemicals but I'm unsure of the affect on the cables.

BTW, used the k50 for this one and it worked like a dream. First snaked the floor drain with a 1 1/2 four blade and that was done in under 10 minutes. The maint supervisor was with me and he said Mr Rooter has always snaked that line without no cutter on the cable because they couldn't get passed the p trap. The dishwasher drain was so built up with scale that I couldn't even get a straight auger in there. I started without the cutter, then went to a 1" four blade then was able to use a 1 1/2" four blade. Never could've done either job without the k50.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Commercial Dishwashers bad for cable?

3/8" cable?

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Mpls View Post
      3/8" cable?
      no. here's the deal. this is what makes a sectional the best machine for the job.

it's the instant acting clutch. it allows you to throttle the cable into a tight drain/ trap without getting the cable all wound up. a drum machine might have an auto feed or manual feed, but has no way to control the drum rotation. if the cable grabs and it will the drum will continue to spin and your cable is only in a foot or 2, you will have to be quick on the brakes. stopping the drum is very important with little cable in the drain.

why do you think i've switched out every drum machine to a sectional. sure a k-60 will run the 5/8' sectional cable. but a k-50 has a little less rpm and horsepower. a little more control for this delicate job.

i can be wrong

but all of us k-60/ k-50 users can't be

if you don't own a sectional, you don't know what you're missing

thanks, ben. sorry i missed your call. i had 3 calls in the 5 minutes i was with the hoa president looking at a video.

p.s. great job you did

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

i would think that the soap they use it great for your cable!

I carry a box of powdered laundry detergent on the van, i will throw a couple of scoops down the line after i unclog it. My cables come back looking great, and they smell good!

Comment

Originally posted by jhplumbing View Post
          i would think that the soap they use it great for your cable!

I carry a box of powdered laundry detergent on the van, i will throw a couple of scoops down the line after i unclog it. My cables come back looking great, and they smell good! :d
          now that's a great tip! Thanks
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
            Obviously drain chemicals are terrible for cable but what about the waste water of a commercial dishwasher? Snaked out the drain of one today as the washer was going and it cleaned my cable great. Never seen a cable come back so shiny. I know the water is extemely hot and there has to be dish cleaning chemicals but I'm unsure of the affect on the cables.

BTW, used the k50 for this one and it worked like a dream. First snaked the floor drain with a 1 1/2 four blade and that was done in under 10 minutes. The maint supervisor was with me and he said Mr Rooter has always snaked that line without no cutter on the cable because they couldn't get passed the p trap. The dishwasher drain was so built up with scale that I couldn't even get a straight auger in there. I started without the cutter, then went to a 1" four blade then was able to use a 1 1/2" four blade. Never could've done either job without the k50.
            I just bought a K50 about a month ago, when my sink machine was stolen, it's also my first sectional machine (other than an old general rodrunner, which I've never even really used) and I must say I've been pretty happy with it so far.

After using a spartan 100, (or a kenway jr / yuck) for ever I've really enjoyed the change.

Comment

A commercial dishwasher normally has a booster heater on it to get the wash water temps up around 180 degrees F along with the cleaner used.

I can't think of a better way of cleaning a cable short of putting it in a pot of boiling water for 15 minutes or so

Comment

But if I clean the cables my van won't smell and people will starting wanting rides again.
                Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Dishwasher detergent is a very active material, much moreso than laundry detergent which is designed to be gentle on skin. The aggressiveness of dishwasher detergent dissolves food and grease pretty effectively - and it'll also etch glass if too much is used.

I would be a little worried about corrosion, and rinse everything with clear water afterwards if possible.

Comment

eat a half dozen hard boiled eggs with a bunch of beer. they will get out and take a cab. lol. breid.................

Comment

Snaked many commercial dishwasher lines never harmed a cable yet.
                      Other than all that wonderful grey or black smelly muck smell stuck in your nose for a few hours.
                      Rod
                      MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                      Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                      http://unclognh.com
                      http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

I like snaking out sewers full of copper sulfate. It makes my cable look like a brand new penny.
                        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Working...
                        X