Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bizzarre year so far

Frozen Frozen Frozen.

At least two a day, every day. Frozen services, frozen tanks, frozen leach lines, frozen fields. Properties that have never frozen before. Doing more than a few for the second time around this year. Had a case of tank heaters, down to 3.

NOT COLD either; low snow year, so little insulation, and we've had odd warm melty spells. I think the melt has moved the frost deeper than usual.

HARD ice too... had some where I'm only making 6" to a foot/min. Stand there and smoke and watch the hose, get bored, clean up the van, watch the hose, take some calls ("No idea when, maybe tonight, you're 4th in line after this one"), watch the hose.

Can't remember the last weekday under $1k, most have been $2k. Money is good but all my stuff is half broke down and bandaided together, and I'm pretty much that way too. Maybe this weekend will be slow and I can get some stuff fixed and get some sleep.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Re: Bizzarre year so far

That's great that you're busy. Thank you Mother Nature!

The sun came out today and gave us a couple of jobs. Lucky for us one of the jobs was three tanks to pump. The other one looks like a bad drainfield. Widowed woman. My driver is going back tomorow to talk to the womans son and figure out her options.
    www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

we had a few good cold snaps, only one with any wind to give us a good round of frozen houses. that was over 70 hours that week. the last couple of weeks have been kind of slow. which lets me get caught up on a lot of the projects that have been rather pressing.
      No, it's not rocket science, it's plumbing and unlike rocket science it requires a license.

Comment

You can say Bizzarre again What an odd winter. Total of three frozen calls and two were in December. Had one a week ago. January, February is supposed to be my freeze up season. Nope hitting low 40s today. Normally we are bellow 0 at this time of year. Maybe an eary and extended root season would be nice.
        Rod
        MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
        Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
        http://unclognh.com
        http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Early/extended root season? I'd be happy with any root season. We just don't seam to be getting them this year???????

Only a hand full of freeze ups this year.

Last week we had 3 dig ups and 1 this week. Normally I might see 4 a year that truly need dig up. We don't dig but we work close with the contractors and return when dig up occurs to confirm and camera further etc...It was all feel good work too. 3 out of the 4 were from other companies and people telling the HO to "call this guy before you dig. If he can't get it...".
          The 4th one was with a contractor I've never worked with before. You could see the doubt in his eyes (HO's son in law). Oh yea of little faith. In the end he was patting me on the back and asking for cards. I've converted yet another lost soul to the church of poo
          INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
          Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
            Early/extended root season? I'd be happy with any root season. We just don't seam to be getting them this year???????

Only a hand full of freeze ups this year.

Last week we had 3 dig ups and 1 this week. Normally I might see 4 a year that truly need dig up. We don't dig but we work close with the contractors and return when dig up occurs to confirm and camera further etc...It was all feel good work too. 3 out of the 4 were from other companies and people telling the HO to "call this guy before you dig. If he can't get it...".
            The 4th one was with a contractor I've never worked with before. You could see the doubt in his eyes (HO's son in law). Oh yea of little faith. In the end he was patting me on the back and asking for cards. I've converted yet another lost soul to the church of poo
            I love when a customer calls and say's So and so said don't bother with anyone else to call you instead.
            Or when the competitors fails at clearing it. Charges for thier time then hands them one of my cards.
            Rod
            MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
            Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
            http://unclognh.com
            http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Here in Alaska, it's very common that something, somewhere is frozen.

This last winter, I think you guys have been gettin our cold weather.

I only had a few freezeups this year... but last winter I was juggeling them, and only actually made it home at night a few nights a week.

I DID have a surprising first about 3 weeks ago though.............

A house that I did some work on last fall called, and said that their water wasn't working.

When I get there, I find that the poorly insulated Qest pipe the previous HO installed himself from the well to the house (underground) had frozen.

When my thawing attempts failed, I recommended a well contractor i've worked with a few times. "We ONLY call ****'s pumping and thawing," they said.

The guy crammed an AIR HOSE down a POTABLE WATER LINE, started the flow of high temp steam The pipe collapsed around his hose, and it broke.

The end result was me installing a 150ft temporary water line from the well to the house. Lots of fun at -25F!

Comment

So, what do you do? Just run it on the surface and heat tape it and insulate the heck out of it?

No way I'm digging a 150' trench to lay a line in winter around here, and your temps are way worse than mine. We hit -20F in the dead of night during cold snaps, but not on a regular basis, and most days are at least in the + teens. We lay them 10' deep here, I bet you have to go deeper.

The really odd thing about all the frozens this winter is it has been really warm. Highs pushing 30. I really think the warm weater and low snow is doing it; melt is saturating the ground and letting it conduct heat better, and low snow so no insulating effect. It's like an April freeze and thaw cycle in janufeb.
                This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

you're right on with the freeze/thaw problems

I ran it over ground, foil wrapped the PEX, installed self-limiting heat trace (Raychem) with cheap electrical tape (the ever popular small zip ties aren't a great idea), and insulated.

I covered as much of the run as possible with snow, as snow is a decent insulator.

I had to do 2 runs of heat trace because the maximum recommended run is 100ft. The Foil is to better distribute the heat, and also makes things alot nicer if you have to work on the PEX at some point.

I had to pull the well from the pitless adapter (about 80ft of galvy), and attach from there.

Due to lack of water flow, I had to thaw the well 3 times, and the PEX once.

The weather here has gotten rather warm for this time of year, so I doubt there will be a problem for the rest of the winter. If it was still going to get -30F or colder, I would likely have to add some more insulation. I wanted to get the water flowing, and get the large bill paid before doing anything that wasn't bare minimum (the owner has a less than excellent payment history and i've had too much bad luck lately to not get paid on something like this).

The property owner is pretty cheap, so I doubt he'll actually fix it right in the spring as we've discussed....

I've led him to the now flowing water, but I suppose time will tell

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post

The really odd thing about all the frozens this winter is it has been really warm. Highs pushing 30.
                    Being from So Cal, that's just funny. My hat is off to you guys that do this work in the ice and snow.

Comment

Dig up #5 tomorrow.

We'll be doing this one. Only 2' deep 8' long to septic.

Told HO it needed digging a year ago. Ground was frozen solid in March, told him to nurse it along until thaw.

HO called yesterday, backed up again. Lives alone but I'm surprised it lasted a year.

This year not a lick of frost in the ground. 36 degrees today, heat wave
                      INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
                      Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Did a frozen Saturday; single bathroom group frozen, definitely ice. Snaked from toilet flange and ground fruitlessly for several minutes, broke out the mini jetter and popped it in seconds. 18' in from toilet on upper floor, most of that vertical; micro-freeze in stack on exterior wall or in crawlspace. Opted for the snake first try as it had to be in heated space. The strangeness continues. It was a warm (20ish) day after a not very cold night.

Redid a frozen service this am. Thawed it a few days earlier. frozen at junction with main, just like before. Truly bizarre. If the service is freezing at the main, and just at the main, why isn't the main freezing? They are at the top of that leg of it, and nozzle is shooting in to within a few inches of the saddle, the cutting ice for a sec, then thru. service is not freezing up back to the house; just freezes right at the saddle.

Comment

Originally posted by radar_40 View Post

The end result was me installing a 150ft temporary water line from the well to the house. Lots of fun at -25F!

Oh come on 'Man Up", oh wait at -25 there is not more man left........

Comment

Working...
                          X