X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drum machines with a brake?

The machine I'm most familiar with is a Spartan 2001. It has a nice feature that stops the drum when you lift your foot off of the pedal.
    It will stop the drum immediately if there isn't much momentum and it will slow it down and stop it if there is.

Are there other drums that have this feature? I have never come close to kinking a cable with this machine. It also seems to rotate the cable much faster and send it out faster than the other machines we have. The other two are a mytana sled machine and a general.

Re: Drum machines with a brake?

marco had a hand brake, but it didn't work good and you had to physically apply it.

most sectional machines have a brake

just let off the clutch and it stops

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Are there any sectional machines with an auto feed? ;-)

Comment

Sectionals have auto feed it's a slight secret you have to have one for us to say.
        Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Ooter View Post
          The machine I'm most familiar with is a Spartan 2001. It has a nice feature that stops the drum when you lift your foot off of the pedal.
          It will stop the drum immediately if there isn't much momentum and it will slow it down and stop it if there is.

Are there other drums that have this feature? I have never come close to kinking a cable with this machine. It also seems to rotate the cable much faster and send it out faster than the other machines we have. The other two are a mytana sled machine and a general.
          So how do you release the stored up energy in the cable when you are in a stoppage?

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
            So how do you release the stored up energy in the cable when you are in a stoppage?

Mark
            If you can not pull the cable back to break it free, you can put the forward/reverse/nutral switch in nutral and step on the foot switch and it will release the brake
            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Exactly what Ron said.

I'm just exploring the options that are out there. I've only used drum machines but I'm not exactly a body builder and the Spartan 2001 is easy to get in and out of a basement because you can take the drum out. It's cumbersome to take apart but I wouldn't be able to pull some of the heavier beasts out of a basement without hurting something.

I've never used a sectional but I'm interested in them. I have seen one in action and it didn't seem to bad. I was called out to a house to unclog a sewer and there was already someone there working on it by the time I arrived. The shop sent me 2 hours away to do nothing so I at least took the opportunity to ask questions about the machine I had only read about in Rick's romance novels turned into forum posts.

The only thing that disturbed me was how the guy was retrieving the cable. He would stand up and bend over at the waist and pull the cable back out. It didn't seem very healthy and hopefully there is a better way to do that because I can get started for a lot less with a sectional machine.

Comment

Close enough I will tell you
                The wider wind (space) will feed itself in and out of the pipe. Usually when the sectional cable is easy to pull either stuck or out very far you just push the cable against the pipe edge while in forward on the machine it will feed out 2 -4 feet, then stop push the cable thru the machine and begin again, once you get it free or it just moves easy then yes it is faster to do by hand. This method can be used with the machine in reverse and it will feed the cable into the pipe. You have to practice this to get the method down.
                Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                  If you can not pull the cable back to break it free, you can put the forward/reverse/nutral switch in nutral and step on the foot switch and it will release the brake
                  So you have an over stressed cable you are worrying about flipping and all you have to do is take one of your hands off of the cable, put the switch in neutral and step on the foot switch before the cable flips?

No thanks.

Mark

Comment

So you have an over stressed cable you are worrying about flipping and all you have to do is take one of your hands off of the cable, put the switch in neutral and step on the foot switch before the cable flips?

No thanks.

Mark
                    I never said it was a good idea. I prefer to take my foot of the pedal and let the machine unwind itself.
                    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                      I never said it was a good idea. I prefer to take my foot of the pedal and let the machine unwind itself.
                      LOL-Me too.

Mark

Comment

It works good for me. I'm used to it and have never had a problem with it. I don't usually beat on the cables or the machine and I have not yet kinked the cable with this machine. I always keep a hand on the cable and do the whole look, listen, feel on the cable, machine, and the drain so I know when the cable is spinning and when it's not. I can then put the brakes on the operation before things get out of hand.

Comment

Mark
                          It's a highly guarded secret Mark.

Comment

It works good for me. I'm used to it and have never had a problem with it. I don't usually beat on the cables or the machine and I have not yet kinked the cable with this machine. I always keep a hand on the cable and do the whole look, listen, feel on the cable, machine, and the drain so I know when the cable is spinning and when it's not. I can then put the brakes on the operation before things get out of hand.
                            Bingo.

I've never used a sectional but I'm interested in them. I have seen one in action and it didn't seem to bad. I was called out to a house to unclog a sewer and there was already someone there working on it by the time I arrived. The shop sent me 2 hours away to do nothing so I at least took the opportunity to ask questions about the machine I had only read about in Rick's romance novels turned into forum posts.
                            Not my personal choice but sectionals are great, user friendly machines. They are extremely safe. Pretty much anyone can use em.
                            Last edited by Twicepipes; 02-24-2010, 01:15 PM. Reason: wrong quote

Comment

Originally posted by Twicepipes View Post
                              Bingo.

Not my personal choice but sectionals are great, user friendly machines. They are extremely safe. Pretty much anyone can use em.

Not true.

On your knees, bent over and trying to use your elbow or free a hand, trying to forward that cable into the drain. And you're failing to mention the constant back and forth you have to methodically keep pulling the cables back and clean to reenter and clear again.

All of which involves NOT the machine on the return but the able body to do so. Plus, there are members on this site that have mentioned these cables whip back and injure them.

I've been in both equations both sectional and drum and there are dangers in both.

I just prefer to work smarter, not harder the older I get. To everyone else, it's your choice if you want to put your hands on the cable that much.

I don't miss those cables spinning in my hands at 600rpm, then having to add/remove 15' sections every time you want to advance your position in the drain.

And still, still, there is not one full unedited video showing this equipment from truck to drain to task to completion. I know why. I prefer to be honest when I discuss these work tasks.

A drum machine (the right one) will always tell you when your torquing into a drain. It's the F-ing idiot on the other side of that equation that tempts fate that is willing to build that torque high enough to either jump it out of the drain or double 8, snap the cable off that will be the operator's fault, not the equipment.

On the power feed drum machine I use, the second I feel resistance (barely because I'm rarely touching the cable) through the sound of the machine winding down, I move to neutral. If it winds back to normal? I'm forwarding Sloooooooooooowly into the drain at that point letting it sit there and work what it's going through.

If I keep advancing forward, and it starts to really bog down, a smart drain cleaner no matter how far he's out in the drain, retrieves with the simple motion of hitting the reverse on the power feed and letting it pull back. No touching the cable at this point, the machine does it all for you.

If you have to keep the machine in position where it's trying to pull the machine to the opening? Then you're pretty damn smart because you're pulling back roots, or tons of debri. That is why you do NOT keep going forward on a 1st and 2nd pass until you know WTF is in that drain, not listening to anyone but what you see on the end of that cable.

Moving 30', 55', 75' of cable back and forth out of a drum machine is relatively fast, having a piece of equipment forcing it both ways is very nice.

Like the shovel to the backhoe, I learned and guys worry too much about how clean the drain gets. That's your call because you didn't fix why it got that way in the first place. That's not the solid cure to that situation.

I've ran 5 drains since sunday and I'm not sitting here sore from any of it. My equipment does the majority of the work. And I'm a guy that won't do anything if it requires more work...

call that laziness or call that protection of the big picture, the long run, the "what kind of condition is my body going to be in after a career of running drains" is going to be like.

Figure that one out without being a salesman every time you come online talking about drain cleaning. I found out recently (mentioned on another forum) where a judgement call to pull away/stop on a drain job was a very intelligent move, and respected the wisdom I had to do so. Main drain running opposite of what the sanitation district is stating and a piping system that is in the best interest of being replaced, not cleaned with as many chronic issues this drain has.
                              Last edited by DUNBAR PLUMBING; 02-24-2010, 02:24 PM.
                              Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Working...
                              X