X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A chat with the Local "Handy Man"

The thought just popped in there. If the dude was not such a jerk. I should have paid him $15 bucks to haul my equipment out of the basement for me.
    Rod
    MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
    Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
    http://unclognh.com
    http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

I get killed by these guys all the time.

But what really kills me is when a "side jobbing" plumber calls me for a rod out (referral). I give him the price, he says that a lot....I say "I am running a business, and am not pimping myself out!"

That really bothers me.

Comment

i'm so much older than you guys that had i to PAY $5.00 a day to work. it snowed every day and i had to walk 1 1/2 miles each way to school. uphill both ways. lol. when i was a kid my dad didn't pay me. or else. lol. breid...............

Comment

You're starting to sound like my dad Breid!

Rick, $3. an hour must have been pretty fat wages in '72. I was making $2.75 an hour (minimum wage) in '82-'83.
          www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
            i'm so much older than you guys that had i to PAY $5.00 a day to work. it snowed every day and i had to walk 1 1/2 miles each way to school. uphill both ways. lol. when i was a kid my dad didn't pay me. or else. lol. breid...............
            we had to do the same except we were so poor we had to wrap barbed wire around our feet to get traction !

Comment

$1.25 an hour pick and shovel 1958. Worked with an old Iron Worker around 1980.
              He did the hay circuit , farm to farm, as a young Man. At days end all the men cleaned up
              and went to the owners house to eat. Each plate was up side down on the table. When They turned it over there was a dollar. Days pay ! We,re all spoiled
              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

By then (1970), I was making $3.75/hour toting grocery bags at Kroger's. That was a huge increase from the minimum wage of $1.50/hour I was getting the previous summer at the city pool.

Originally posted by Trent2 View Post

Rick, $3. an hour must have been pretty fat wages in '72. I was making $2.75 an hour (minimum wage) in '82-'83.
                Steve
                www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Back when I started I worked for the worlds biggest ............. . He trearted his dog better than me. Mind you the dog was a lot more intelligent than the boss. Less than $2/hr for 60+ hrs/wk, no extra, just paid for 40hr week.

Comment

I hate handymen. They give the trades a bad name with there cheap rates and shoddy work. And that sucks if cops in your area only make 35k a year out here they make over 60k starting and in oakland 71k.

Comment

Originally posted by Tungsten Plumbing View Post
                      I hate handymen. They give the trades a bad name with there cheap rates and shoddy work. And that sucks if cops in your area only make 35k a year out here they make over 60k starting and in oakland 71k.

I don't think 71k in Oakland is enough.....

Comment

Originally posted by DanLawrence View Post
                        I don't think 71k in Oakland is enough.....
                        Thats very true but its still the highest starting wage for any place in the country. But honestly richmond ca is ten times worse than oakland. San francisco has as much crime as oakland its just that san francisco is a larger city so the crime rate seems lower.

Comment

My son-in-law was making mid twenties at his local fire department. He applied for and was offered a job in Anaheim that paid over $80,000. The problem was he would be leaving a nice house to live in a little apartment. Instead he now drives an hour to a private department which pays over double what his local department was paying. On the flip side, at the same time, with over-time both of my son's were making over $100,000 as LEOs.

Mark
                          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by Tungsten Plumbing View Post
                            Thats very true but its still the highest starting wage for any place in the country. But honestly richmond ca is ten times worse than oakland. San francisco has as much crime as oakland its just that san francisco is a larger city so the crime rate seems lower.
                            are you sure about that

Comment

Working...
                            X