DIY Pains

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Pains

Today starts with a simple toilet clog call. Get to job and customer shows me to the bath I spy a box store closet auger sticking out of a toilet full of recycled refried beans. The customer had gone all boy scout and tied the cheap POS auger into a knot unable to pull it out. I said you failed to mention this when you called and will have to charge more for this job rather than the estimate given to clear toilet over the phone. Guy gets all up in my arse says I am gouging him I nicely tell him that I have better things to do hand him a pair of rubber gloves and said you can finish what you started. wish you could have heard his wife start in on him as I walked out. I dont know about everyone else but the damage I been seeing lately from the DIY crowd is growing.

Re: DIY Pains

Mr Slate I salute you. Isnt it amazing how they go to the Saturday Morning roadshow and believe the BS they are told. Over here we have BGS(Big Green shed) called BUNNINGS. They attend a session conducted by experts who are better tradesmen than all of us but probably surf forums like this to check their advice. Then the wood-ducks go to the hire section and the rest is history. I am fast becoming a grumpy old man and I havent even made Fifty yet. I pray for their families hoping that they are out shopping when the DIY comes undone with his ego.

We arent crooks who gouge, we just want to be paid a fair rate and treated with a little respect. Amazing how they all love us when no.2s are everywhere when one call would have been a five minute discharge of problem

Comment

Originally posted by Cleanmen2 View Post
      Mr Slate I salute you. Isnt it amazing how they go to the Saturday Morning roadshow and believe the BS they are told. Over here we have BGS(Big Green shed) called BUNNINGS. They attend a session conducted by experts who are better tradesmen than all of us but probably surf forums like this to check their advice. Then the wood-ducks go to the hire section and the rest is history. I am fast becoming a grumpy old man and I havent even made Fifty yet. I pray for their families hoping that they are out shopping when the DIY comes undone with his ego.

We arent crooks who gouge, we just want to be paid a fair rate and treated with a little respect. Amazing how they all love us when no.2s are everywhere when one call would have been a five minute discharge of problem
      The best bit of the Bunnings saga is that all the do it yourselfers tackle there own renovations because they are going to sell any way and figure that it is only to look good and how hard can it be to renovate a bathroom.
      Too bad for the unsuspecting new buyer that figures the work has been done by someone competent and then finds out that the bathrooms need to be redone because the rooms were not waterproofed correctly in the first place.

Simon

Comment

Can't tell you how many of those hand held snakes I find kinked up and tossed into a corner with those cheap azz $10 augers
        Many DIY nightmares around here.
        When they call because their cheap snake or rental machine is stuck in the line and they call for help. Sorry can't help you I'm too busy.
        Rod
        MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
        Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
        http://unclognh.com
        http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

some things that i will not give a price on over the phone. toilets are one. i get a look see service call. the other thing is when i'm in the house if a woman is there i talk to them. in most cases woman are more rational than men and at least will listen to you. they just their home back. breid...............

Comment

I'm pretty luck, no one really tries to pump their own septic tank. Not that they could rent a truck anyhow, although I've had a customer ask.
            www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Originally posted by Trent2 View Post
              I'm pretty luck, no one really tries to pump their own septic tank. Not that they could rent a truck anyhow, although I've had a customer ask.
              The new DIY 1,500 gallon shop vac
              Rod
              MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
              Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
              http://unclognh.com
              http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by Trent2 View Post
                Originally posted by UnClogNH View Post
                The new DIY 1,500 gallon shop vac
                no... it's going to be a 'you can do it, we can help' seminar on how to pump your tank yourself and fertilize your lawn at the same time with our handy, easy to use sump pump.
                This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

i have a friend that used to put a sump pump in his tank and pump it into the lake his cottage was on. i know farmers that used to pump their septic tanks with the pumper they used on their hog houses. most of the farmers eventually just hook their tanks to a drainage tile in their fields or run it to a ditch or whatever. lol. breid.............

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
                    i have a friend that used to put a sump pump in his tank and pump it into the lake his cottage was on. i know farmers that used to pump their septic tanks with the pumper they used on their hog houses. most of the farmers eventually just hook their tanks to a drainage tile in their fields or run it to a ditch or whatever. lol. breid.............
                    Pumping it in the lake is pretty disgusting! However a farmer putting a thousand gallons into a huge lagoon isn't really going to make a difference. I take issue with the ditch and so does the county usually!
                    www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

When i first started learning plumbing i had a friend

with a bad drain field,

so i went over and used a pump to pump down his septic

tank into the cornfield he had in the back yard !

of course he had a very busy produce stand he was

running out front at the street
                      JERRYMAC
                      E-MAILJERRYMAC777@GMAIL.COM
                      CALIF. LIC. PLBG,HEAT,DRAINS,ELECTRIC,WATER HEATER, BOILER, POOL AND SPA HEATER
                      FIRE SPRINKLER CONTRACTOR,
                      SINCE JAN. 1989

Comment

Working...
                      X