Thawing Machines.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thawing Machines.

I was thinking about getting a Hot Shot 400. Some lines I cant get the jetter around. Its like 800 bucks and dont think I will use it every. Is a welder a better option. Will the fittings conduct the power without melting? I think it would a nice option if it worked.

Re: Thawing Machines.

Originally posted by DANE View Post
    I was thinking about getting a Hot Shot 400. Some lines I cant get the jetter around. Its like 800 bucks and dont think I will use it every. Is a welder a better option. Will the fittings conduct the power without melting? I think it would a nice option if it worked.
    Don't use mine as much as I would like too. Yes, pricey but it does work.
    The bigger the pipe the longer and more cycles it takes to thaw.
    Rod
    MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
    Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
    http://unclognh.com
    http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Look for a used one.
      I bought 2 hot shot 350 for $300.00 shipped a few years ago.

Don’t use a welder. If your ever have a problem you insurance will not cover the use of a improper tool.
      Sent From The StoolBus

www.appletondrainandsewer.com

Appleton WI, 54915
      1-920-284-7471

Comment

The welder will work but it is a much higher voltage and if any or the joints have pushed apart which is quite common you'll burn the house down from the arcing.

Don't do it!
        411 Plumb Appliance Stimulus Package

Comment

i almost bought a brand new ridgid one last year, but thought unless i can use it for my shocking games, it would be worthless to me

funny thing is i have 3 freezing machines and a few co2 freeze kits.

joey, find me a clean t shirt, i'm hot

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Watch ebay or craigslist and bide your time?
            Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Sounds like they work. Rick, would you buy my snowmobile if I made a rack that held a K60? You never know when it would come in handy.
              Winter is fun when the van isnt stuck.

Comment

Originally posted by DANE View Post
                Sounds like they work. Rick, would you buy my snowmobile if I made a rack that held a K60? You never know when it would come in handy.
                Winter is fun when the van isnt stuck.
                we call that a jet ski out here

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

New in the box for 300 bucks. You gotta love Craigs List.

Comment

Craigslist!

A friend and I drove out into the countryside on a tool finding mission this weekend. I came back with a pile of machines, including two old Trindl Therm-O-Trons and a wheelbarrow full of cable. Cost me $120 for the both of them. Of course these are old, ancient machines, and were apparently last tested in the early 80's. I figured with the scrap value of the cable, I couldn't lose much on the deal, and we stuffed it into the truck.

Here's an idea. Get an old, simple transformer stick welder that is designed to accept 240V, and feed it with 120V. That should drop your output voltage from 17 to 45V, down to 9 to 22V, which is still 3 to 4 times what the dedicated machines are putting out. The Thermotrons put out 3V at the low terminal and 5V at the high terminal. Likely this wouldn't work with a more modern machine that is trying to regulate it's output.

Another idea is to take some windings off the secondary. Your output current will be still be limited to the max current of the secondary, which will likely be about half of what a dedicated machine would be putting out.

Using thinner cables will make for more voltage drop in the cables. In any case, the cables need to be thick, we are talking something like twice as thick as a regular auto jumper cable.

The heating power, in any case, is going to be I squared times R, where I is the current in the pipe and R is the resistance of the pipe in the load loop. Increasing the length of the pipe you clamp to increases the power dissipated, but doesn't help much because no more power is reaching the frozen section.

By the way, these pipe thawers are dirt simple, just a transformer in a box. There's no rectification of the output on the Therm-O-Trons. Here's a schematic of a commercial unit that you can see online.
                    http://www.pipethaw.com/IB350%20Serv...Manual0001.pdf

These are just ideas. I don't recommend doing anything your wife or lawyer disagrees with. Most guys don't have time to fool around with homebrewed gear, and if you do damage something, there's no manufacturer for your insurance company to subrogate against, so it's all on you. Using a welder to thaw pipes was probably a fine idea 60 years ago, but it's not a good idea today. Not in liability land.

JV

Comment

I dont want to but anyone a new TV across the street from the job. I should move to a warmer climate. I will try it on Thursday. If the frost holds out.

Comment

I use them up here sometimes, as a last resort.

Other companies use them alot, but that's their call.

They are a useful tool, but they are also a great way to create a disaster.

Shocked occupants, fires, melted trails in the carpet from the cables....

Like anything else, know what you're doing with it; Expect the unexpected.

It's never a bad idea to stop, and look at everything every few minutes.

----------------

Help me support children’s cancer research CLICK HERE!

Comment

Working...
                        X