Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• k-50 & The Mortar Tray

Today i was clocked by the k-50 with NO rear guide hose

I was in, out, done, money in hand in 35 mins. That included cabling the line 2 times 45ft both times! and giving the floor a minor mop up job!

RICK Turned me on to the Mortar pan trick,(thanks!) i just started using it a few weeks back. At first it was a little tricky to get the hang of, but if you wind the cable in the pan the right way, they stay down and the job goes super fast!

Best of all you load all your stuff in the pan and slide it up the stairs and out the door! ONE TRIP in and out!
    Attached Files

Re: k-50 & The Mortar Tray

How much crap did you spray all over the floor when the cable spins?

Comment

Originally posted by jhplumbing View Post
      Today i was clocked by the k-50 with NO rear guide hose

I was in, out, done, money in hand in 35 mins. That included cabling the line 2 times 45ft both times! and giving the floor a minor mop up job!

RICK Turned me on to the Mortar pan trick,(thanks!) i just started using it a few weeks back. At first it was a little tricky to get the hang of, but if you wind the cable in the pan the right way, they stay down and the job goes super fast!

Best of all you load all your stuff in the pan and slide it up the stairs and out the door! ONE TRIP in and out!
      Aye Carumba! Get a drum machine and you won't have to mop! I did a drain today and was in and out in an hour. One trip in, one trip out with check in hand. No mopping and clean floor.
      As you can see... I have mixed emotions on the subject.
      Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
        Aye Carumba! Get a drum machine and you won't have to mop! I did a drain today and was in and out in an hour. One trip in, one trip out with check in hand. No mopping and clean floor.
        As you can see... I have mixed emotions on the subject.
        Yes, a drum would have been a better choice. Way less mess.
        But you cleared the drain and got paid so it does not matter drum, sectional what ever you feel more comfortable with.
        Rod
        MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
        Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
        http://unclognh.com
        http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

If you like the 5/8 open wind of the K-50 cables you should look into the Electric Eel's Model N that holds 75' of the 5' long 5/8" diameter Duelmatic cable http://www.electriceel.com/pdfs/eelmodelnsalesflyer.pdf
          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
          Ron's Facebook
          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

I use both drum type and sectional they both can make a mess. The problem I have is that in my area sewers are not short enough to use a drum. I have used a 750 and 1065 and am not impressed. Any cable that comes out of the pipe swinging tampons like a piper cub prop is going to splatter someone or something. Now everyone can pile on and tell me how wrong I am.

Comment

jh, glad the mortar tray is working for you

but i have a question

what i meant by a mortar tray war a new, clean tray, not 1 that you actually mixed mortar in

plus i also will keep the k-50 in the tray and let the cables circle around the 3 legs. this actually keeps the cables from dancing

also if you have cleaned the line and are running water, then you could also use a rag to dry any excess as it pulls back. i can clean and remove the cable most times with no drip or splash that way

glad you like it
              Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 03-04-2010, 02:15 AM.
              phoebe it is

Comment

The mortar tray works pretty well for me too.

I've also used 1.5" vacuum hose X 20' with the guide hose adapter mounted to the hose and then onto the machine. Basically it's a really long guide hose. It lets me run 3 C8's continuously without having to unhook or worry about any mess.

Anyone ever use the eel duel cable in a k-50? is that even possible?

Comment

The only mopping i had to do is nothing more than normal, between the cable and the cleanout. Very little

The cables in the tray do not sling of any water!! Very clean!

The mortat tray is multi purpose! I mixed 6 bags of cement with it the day before!

But RICK if the cables circle around the legs, it might scratch up my paint job on the k-50!! LOL
                  Last edited by jhplumbing; 03-04-2010, 04:54 AM.

Comment

I would be glad to use a drum, but you have to find me one that spins at 400 or 625rpms!

I have used drums when i first started, but RICK converted me about 2 years ago!

Comment

Originally posted by jhplumbing View Post
                      The only mopping i had to do is nothing more than normal, between the cable and the cleanout. Very little

The cables in the tray do not sling of any water!! Very clean!

The mortat tray is multi purpose! I mixed 6 bags of cement with it the day before!

But RICK if the cables circle around the legs, it might scratch up my paint job on the k-50!! LOL
                      it's also great when you pull a toilet and have to tilt to clean off the wax seal on the bottom. the tray will catch all the water and wax left behind.

i now use a 5 gallon bucket for my mixing and have a slow speed high torque paddle mixer. bucket will mix 60# bag

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

I rarely needed my mixing tray for drain cleaning as a drop cloth and a rag was generally enough.I sure used it a ton on other stuff though and believe one belongs on every truck.

Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

has anyone ever seen or tried the 5/8" dual Eel cable?

They look awesome

Comment

I dont get the mortar tray thing are you not separating the sections when running the K-50 or is it only used to hold the cable as you pull it from the drain? could you explain the proper way you use the mortar tray as I am with Mark that a drop cloth works just fine to lay the cables out on.
                            ________
                            Ford Puma Picture
                            Last edited by TOPDAWG; 02-24-2011, 05:44 PM.
                            Mike

Comment

The cables are not seperated.

That pic you see is about 40 or so feet of snaped together 5/8" cable. You keep them snapped together to speed things up, running one or two cables at a time can get slow. This method works great if you have to put in 50ft or so of cable!

When they are all snapped together in the tray they never tangle up or even move around that much. Give it a shot TOPDAWG, you may like it!

Comment

Working...
                              X