X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Sewer Rooter Junior

Does anyone know the specs. on the old General Sewer Rooter Jr. machines?

I see one selling on Ebay,
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Looks like it's a pretty small diameter, (like 16?), but deep drum.

I want to add a heavier duty machine to meet the need when I run up against issues in the local residential mains. What I have now is one of those little Central machinery chinese made drums. What I'd like would be something like a K-750, or a Spartan 1065. What I can afford right now is an old, broke down Sewer Rooter Jr. Looks like plenty of motor on the General sewer rooter Jr., but could I stuff some 5/8 cable or bigger cable in there?

A typical job might be rodding from a cleanout at the soil stack, out to the street in a 4" main, about 60 - 75 feet. I'm not a plumber, but I get a fair amount of jobs clearing drains and toilets.

Thanks

Re: General Sewer Rooter Junior

Here is the instructions of the machine along with specs. http://www.drainbrain.com/instructio...0OI%208-04.pdf page 5 of the pdf shows that you can use 1/2" and 3/8 cable in that drum and with a Slide on Snaketainer as they call it you can spin 5/16 and 1/4

Attached Files
    Last edited by SewerRatz; 03-04-2010, 12:36 AM. Reason: added photo
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Years ago ,I bought a good used general maxi rooter, $600. 125 ft. of 3/4" cable 3/4 hp,
      Plenty of power.
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I wouldn't use that machine on 4" mains in the Chicago area. Can't handle roots with 1/2" cable.

I don't even like tangling with heavy roots on my 5/8 cable.

Mains get either the 1500 or the 1065 for me.

Comment

Thank you all for your responses.

I'm thinking that the Sewerooter Junior is not the tool for the job I had in mind, for the reason that Swade cited, roots. I guess I will will save my dollars and keep my eyes open for a machine that can handle a heavier cable.

Comment

are you kidding me $600 for this piece of scrap metal

for 600 i could sell you a real machine with auto feeder.

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

I love what I do for work. Love the many drain machine styles out there.
              If someone said hey I will give you this for clearing my drain. No Thanks
              or if it was on the side of the road. I would stop and look at it. Kick it over and leave
              $600 Not worth it.
              Rod
              MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
              Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
              http://unclognh.com
              http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

I wouldn't spend 6 bills on that machine either, I actually found one for $100. But I'm thinking I won't spend even that, since the machine won't do the job I want it to do.

I would certainly consider spending $600 on a good machine with a good cable, but they come and go pretty fast at that price. My needs are occasional, I get offered jobs like rodding a main only once every few months, and I have been turning them down, or renting a rodder.

Speaking of rentals, what are your opinions of the General Easy Rooter, or the Electric Eel Model R. I can get a used rental machine for around $400. These are set up with 5/8 cables, and no power feed, and probably no tools to speak of.

If one of you guys around the Chicago area has a machine to sell, I am interested, and I'll throw in referrals on every job where it looks like my client could benefit from a new cleanout location, or when I lose a cable.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny V View Post
                  I wouldn't spend 6 bills on that machine either, I actually found one for $100. But I'm thinking I won't spend even that, since the machine won't do the job I want it to do.

I would certainly consider spending $600 on a good machine with a good cable, but they come and go pretty fast at that price. My needs are occasional, I get offered jobs like rodding a main only once every few months, and I have been turning them down, or renting a rodder.

Speaking of rentals, what are your opinions of the General Easy Rooter, or the Electric Eel Model R. I can get a used rental machine for around $400. These are set up with 5/8 cables, and no power feed, and probably no tools to speak of.

If one of you guys around the Chicago area has a machine to sell, I am interested, and I'll throw in referrals on every job where it looks like my client could benefit from a new cleanout location, or when I lose a cable.
                  Did you see the Spartan 1000 for sale on ebay its up in Wauconda

http://cgi.ebay.com/Spartan-Drain-Se...item2eab73e50f Also give Allan J Coleman a call talk to Shane or Marvin they may have a good used machine for sale.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up Rick. I did see the Ebay listing for the Spartan 1000, but $900 is out of the budget. I was hoping to spend about half that much. Then I could pay for the machine in saved rental charges in a couple of years.

I guess I'll just have to be patient, and watch for a deal. I like Plumber Rick's idea of driving sectional cable with a big power drill. Too bad the sectional cables don't come up on the used market much.

How wacky an idea would it be to take a heavy No core cable, chop it up, and weld on connectors to make a sectional cable? Of course the connectors aren't free, but maybe a kinked drum type cable could be converted into something that might still be useful.

I don't mind extra hassle or time spent. Cutting out roots is something I don't have to do often, but I hate to turn down my clients when they want to give me work.

Comment

Just hire me to clean your clients drains.

Originally posted by Johnny V View Post
                      Thanks for the heads up Rick. I did see the Ebay listing for the Spartan 1000, but $900 is out of the budget. I was hoping to spend about half that much. Then I could pay for the machine in saved rental charges in a couple of years.

I guess I'll just have to be patient, and watch for a deal. I like Plumber Rick's idea of driving sectional cable with a big power drill. Too bad the sectional cables don't come up on the used market much.

How wacky an idea would it be to take a heavy No core cable, chop it up, and weld on connectors to make a sectional cable? Of course the connectors aren't free, but maybe a kinked drum type cable could be converted into something that might still be useful.

I don't mind extra hassle or time spent. Cutting out roots is something I don't have to do often, but I hate to turn down my clients when they want to give me work.

Comment

I wouldn't pay more than $100 for that old general machine. For $600 you can get much better.

Comment

Here's a Sewerooter Jr. machine I put on eBay in much better condition...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_500wt_1182

Comment

nice looking vintage machine, but i would keep it for display purposes and not a truck machine. is it a 1960's or 70's model?

rick.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

That machine looks very similar to the one I've been using the last 7 weeks

Comment

Working...
                              X