Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sectional vs Drum

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Sectional vs Drum

    Originally posted by Redwood View Post
    Still no source?
    Here you go Redwood http://www.rotorooterbinghamton.com/ thats where the picture is from and here http://www.flickr.com/photos/rotorooterplumbers/
    Last edited by SewerRatz; 03-04-2010, 08:49 PM.
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    Ron's Facebook
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Sectional vs Drum

      Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
      Here you go Redwood http://www.rotorooterbinghamton.com/ thats where the picture is from and here http://www.flickr.com/photos/rotorooterplumbers/
      I was looking for the source of the claim that 80% of all drains are cleaned with sectionals...

      I think that statement has credibility problems...
      411 Plumb Appliance Stimulus Package

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Sectional vs Drum

        Originally posted by Redwood View Post
        I was looking for the source of the claim that 80% of all drains are cleaned with sectionals...

        I think that statement has credibility problems...
        Ah I see, lol

        One thing I have noticed around here (Chicago area) Guys that do sewer and drain cleaning only use drum machines mostly Spartan. Plumbers that do sewer and drain cleaning use sectional machines.

        There are a few exceptions to this view for example my company. We use both types of machines where we feel the type of machine will perform better than the other. For example going through a floor drain I can do it with my 1065 and 3/4 cable but its risky, where as a K-1500 with 1 1/4 standard cable will go through the p-trap with ease. Crawl spaces I bring in my Rothenberger R-750 since it fits in there much easer than the Ridgid machine or a drum machine. Before I ever had my hands on a Rothenberger we used a Eel Model C in crawl spaces.

        So as to the statement of 80% of all drains are cleared with sectionals, I would agree with that if you added 80% of drains cleared by plumbers use sectional machines. Then I would also say 95% of drains cleared by sewer and drain cleaning companies use drums.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        Ron's Facebook
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Sectional vs Drum

          Originally posted by Redwood View Post
          I was looking for the source of the claim that 80% of all drains are cleaned with sectionals...

          I think that statement has credibility problems...
          I may be wrong but I took his statement to mean 80% of the drains he cleans.

          Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

          I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Sectional vs Drum

            i only clean drains with sectionals and jetters if i ever get more than a few jetting jobs

            unless you count the 39af LOL

            i'm due for a k-50 to replace it. just need biz to pick up a little more......
            the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Sectional vs Drum

              HERE WE GO. WHERES RICK

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Sectional vs Drum

                Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                Drum machines are far much better than any sectional machine when it comes to power, ease of use. Sectionals have the advantage of compact size of the machine but the bulkiness of the rands to carry all the cable needed. The other thing is sectionals are a bit safer than a drum machine, since most sectionals only spin the cable when the clutch is depressed and stops the moment you let go. I carry a Spartan 1065, and a 100, but I also have a K-50 and a K-1500 on my truck. I pick the machine depending on the job.

                Ron, I'm not sure I agree that a Drum(1065) is more powerful then the
                K-1500 The K-1500 is my go to machine above all when it comes to the drain that is just a mess.

                Ron do me a favor and post a video drilling a hole through a board with the 1065

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Sectional vs Drum

                  Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                  Ron, I'm not sure I agree that a Drum(1065) is more powerful then the
                  K-1500 The K-1500 is my go to machine above all when it comes to the drain that is just a mess.

                  Ron do me a favor and post a video drilling a hole through a board with the 1065
                  Sure thing I will set up a jig and drill through a board with a root saw type blade, it may take a little longer since a drum machine is not about the speed of the cutter. It is more about the torque to tear roots apart. I like to see a K-1500 get caught up in a blockage and build up enough torque to break free instead of reversing the motor or causing clutch slippage.
                  Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                  Ron's Facebook
                  A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                  Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                  Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Sectional vs Drum

                    I stopped cable cleaning altogether now I just poke it with the cameras if it won't move it's dig up time!
                    Seattle Drain Service

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: Sectional vs Drum

                      What's the big deal guy's ?? Sectional Vs Drum
                      Blade gets put on cable. Cable goes into nasty Poop water. Cable spins in Poop water blade turns Poop nuggets and water with hint of tampons into a poop shake. Machine what ever you like Sectional or Drum propels cable and blade in a spinning motion towards clog. Clog goes bye bye. And it's hello money
                      Rod
                      MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                      Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                      http://unclognh.com
                      http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

                      Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: Sectional vs Drum

                        Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                        Sure thing I will set up a jig and drill through a board with a root saw type blade, it may take a little longer since a drum machine is not about the speed of the cutter. It is more about the torque to tear roots apart. I like to see a K-1500 get caught up in a blockage and build up enough torque to break free instead of reversing the motor or causing clutch slippage.
                        (I will hold the sectional torch for now though I love both Drums and Sectionals)

                        Unless you have some weight in the drum you will not have the torque to break free either Centrifugal force does not the great machine make...

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: Sectional vs Drum

                          Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                          (I will hold the sectional torch for now though I love both Drums and Sectionals)

                          Unless you have some weight in the drum you will not have the torque to break free either Centrifugal force does not the great machine make...
                          On a drum machine when the cutter gets caught the drum keeps turning winding up the cable building up torque, it will break itself free or sometimes you need to pull back on the cable to free the blade, but once the blade is free it will spin with lots of speed which you can jab back into the blockage to tear it a new one.

                          Drums are torque type cleaning machines where sectionals are reliant on speed. Each has their place, but leave it to the jetter guys to tell us that we cable machine guys are all wrong and only need a jet to clear a drain properly.
                          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                          Ron's Facebook
                          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: Sectional vs Drum

                            Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                            On a drum machine when the cutter gets caught the drum keeps turning winding up the cable building up torque, it will break itself free or sometimes you need to pull back on the cable to free the blade, but once the blade is free it will spin with lots of speed which you can jab back into the blockage to tear it a new one.

                            Drums are torque type cleaning machines where sectionals are reliant on speed. Each has their place, but leave it to the jetter guys to tell us that we cable machine guys are all wrong and only need a jet to clear a drain properly.

                            I hate to say it (I have jetter envy), The jetter is the best clean IMO.

                            That is my next project since I have a camera now

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: Sectional vs Drum

                              Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                              I hate to say it (I have jetter envy), The jetter is the best clean IMO.

                              That is my next project since I have a camera now
                              Need a jetter myself do mostly residential not much commercial here.
                              I bet I would be fine with one of those water cannon 4 gpm @4k psi
                              Have a small water cannon 2.2 electric jet @1500 psi good for sinks and floor drains. 3" branch mains.
                              Rod
                              MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                              Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                              http://unclognh.com
                              http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

                              Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: Sectional vs Drum

                                I got 1 word "laser"
                                Seattle Drain Service

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X