Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sectional vs Drum

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sectional vs Drum

    i'm probably about to start a huge debate, but here goes......

    I haven't run across ANYONE in my area that uses a sectional machine.

    I can see that the machines are lighter, and smaller, which would be kinda nice sometimes; and that you can carry multiple cables if you wanted to.

    Are there any other advantages to a sectional over a drum?

    I presently use a General mini-rooter with 50ft of 1/2" and/or a somewhat hacktown homemade jetter with 100ft of 1/4" OD hose or 60 ft of 3/8".

    Between the above mentioned stuff and several various snakes and tapes, I can usually get lines clear and clean.

    We don't have a big root problem here. But we make up for it in ice problems.

    Since frozen sewer lines are such a common occurrence here, a wintertime main line "clog" usually gets referred out to someone with a steam truck.

    I've cleared ice with my jetter, but recovering all the water can be a challenge (which is one of the reasons why I haven't upgraded to a larger, "real" jetter with a higher flow rate).

    I digress... Sectional or drum???

  • #2
    Re: Sectional vs Drum

    I do not even want to get in to this one!!
    Just search the forum and you will find MANY Threads about this topic!!


    P.S. the k-60 does 80% of all drain cleanings!

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Sectional vs Drum

      This group will never be in total agreement on this topic. Many have both. Many swear that one is the way to go. Read past post on this topic. It may only take the rest of your working life to read all imput on this topic. I have both. I like sectionals. K60

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Sectional vs Drum

        no need for a new thread and new debate.

        there are literally hundreds of post already discussing the 2 types of machines.

        just open up the drain cleaning home page and order some pizza. you got enough reading to keep you busy all day.

        if anything, ask the question on an already started thread on this subject.

        rick.
        phoebe it is

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Sectional vs Drum

          Originally posted by radar_40 View Post
          i'm probably about to start a huge debate, but here goes......

          I haven't run across ANYONE in my area that uses a sectional machine.

          I can see that the machines are lighter, and smaller, which would be kinda nice sometimes; and that you can carry multiple cables if you wanted to.

          Are there any other advantages to a sectional over a drum?

          I presently use a General mini-rooter with 50ft of 1/2" and/or a somewhat hacktown homemade jetter with 100ft of 1/4" OD hose or 60 ft of 3/8".

          Between the above mentioned stuff and several various snakes and tapes, I can usually get lines clear and clean.

          We don't have a big root problem here. But we make up for it in ice problems.

          Since frozen sewer lines are such a common occurrence here, a wintertime main line "clog" usually gets referred out to someone with a steam truck.

          I've cleared ice with my jetter, but recovering all the water can be a challenge (which is one of the reasons why I haven't upgraded to a larger, "real" jetter with a higher flow rate).

          I digress... Sectional or drum???
          First I have to say I remember standing in the Alaska Industrial Hardware store on Airport Way one January wondering how anyone could work during the winter in Fairbanks so you have my respect.

          Drain cleaning takes a variety of machines to make it work including both drum and sectional machines. That said, if you were limited to a single machine I believe a sectional machine has many advantages over a drum machine.

          Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

          I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Sectional vs Drum

            I have looked at literally pages of posts about the debate after the first reply.....

            I would have deleted the thread if I could have figured out how.

            Now that my eyes are crossed, the end result for me is that I want to try a sectional.

            I've never been into forums at all until I found this one.... Thanks guys!

            Now i've just gotta find a good Ridgid dealer.
            There are 4 here (not including Homealone Depot), but none of them know much other than how to get it here if you give them the catalog#.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Sectional vs Drum

              I didn't see a poll up top, so I will post my opinion

              I would say that a sectional would be better

              Attached Files
              Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
              New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Sectional vs Drum

                Just carry both. Each has an advantage over each other depends on the job and working conditions. What ever makes that one job easier.
                Rod
                MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                http://unclognh.com
                http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

                Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Sectional vs Drum

                  Originally posted by jhplumbing View Post
                  I do not even want to get in to this one!!
                  Just search the forum and you will find MANY Threads about this topic!!


                  P.S. the k-60 does 80% of all drain cleanings!

                  Hey now you contradicted yourself with the P.S. comment.

                  That's it your fired...

                  I won't say a word either.....

                  cough..cough...cough DRUM....Cough

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Sectional vs Drum

                    Drum machines are far much better than any sectional machine when it comes to power, ease of use. Sectionals have the advantage of compact size of the machine but the bulkiness of the rands to carry all the cable needed. The other thing is sectionals are a bit safer than a drum machine, since most sectionals only spin the cable when the clutch is depressed and stops the moment you let go. I carry a Spartan 1065, and a 100, but I also have a K-50 and a K-1500 on my truck. I pick the machine depending on the job.
                    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Sectional vs Drum

                      Thats the best picure ever. I love it, its my new windows background.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Sectional vs Drum

                        Originally posted by jhplumbing View Post
                        P.S. the k-60 does 80% of all drain cleanings!
                        Source?

                        The way I see it if one of the largest drain cleaning companies in the US and Canada uses drum machines you might have a credibility problem...

                        411 Plumb Appliance Stimulus Package

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Sectional vs Drum


                          I remember that little machine the one that tilts with the 3/8 and 1/4 inch interchangeable drums. Oh how I hated that thing. We all hated it.
                          I tossed it off my van within a week and went back to the Viking.
                          Rod
                          MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                          Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                          http://unclognh.com
                          http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

                          Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Sectional vs Drum

                            Originally posted by Redwood View Post
                            Source?

                            The way I see it if one of the largest drain cleaning companies in the US and Canada uses drum machines you might have a credibility problem...
                            I would not depend on what equipment Roto Tooter uses as a guideline. (Not a typo.)
                            Time flies like an arrow.

                            Fruit flies like a banana.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Sectional vs Drum

                              Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                              I would not depend on what equipment Roto Tooter uses as a guideline. (Not a typo.)
                              Still no source?
                              411 Plumb Appliance Stimulus Package

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X