X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Root Ranger Help

I just got my new jetter - 24hp Honda GX670 with an AR pump putting out 4000psi at 7.5 gpm. Also got in a new Root Ranger from Australia.

I took it out on the first job and got less than expected results when attempting to cut roots. I did spot something with my Root Ranger that didn't seem right. At low pressure I saw water coming out the rear jet, front jet and out of the metallic body. With a closer inspection it appeared there was a small crack.

Please see photos. Is this a defect?
    Attached Files

Re: Root Ranger Help

water came out there? that's wrong.
    This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

i'm sure bill will have a new one in the mail before you even wake up this morning

seems like a casting that had a hairline that showed up under pressure

once you get the new one working, you'll love the performance of it like i do

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

I have a very similar set up with the jetter, same honda engine same psi but I only have 5.5gpm and the root ranger shreds roots as fat as your fingers. Get a new one sent out without the crack and you will be very impressed with it!

Comment

All the ones Ive had have had a split it that position but only after several hundred blocked drains, . I resorted to making my own from steel, very strong , heavy and lasts much longer and much cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by Dakota View Post
            I just got my new jetter - 24hp Honda GX670 with an AR pump putting out 4000psi at 7.5 gpm. Also got in a new Root Ranger from Australia.

I took it out on the first job and got less than expected results when attempting to cut roots. I did spot something with my Root Ranger that didn't seem right. At low pressure I saw water coming out the rear jet, front jet and out of the metallic body. With a closer inspection it appeared there was a small crack.

Please see photos. Is this a defect?
            Looks like a fault in the welding on the cleanout plug. Sorry for the inconvenience. This will cause dramatic pressure loss. We used to make them in 2 halves and weld them together. A couple of years ago we came up with a way to make the castings stronger and cast them as one piece with 2 clean out points to remove the ceramic, one for the front jet and the other in the same position on the other side where the crack appeared. It is not actually a crack, it is a weld that was ground back too far exposing the edge of the plug. They are all hand made in batches of 500 units at a time then visually examined before machining and assembly. This one slipped through. I will have a replacement head shipped asap.

Keep the one you have and get it welded at a stainless shop as a spare. I would encourage you to buy the Root Ranger from a local supplier in the US as they are machined NPT.

Thank you for your feedback. It must have been close to knock off time for the welder who was probably thinking of the cold six pack in his fridge at home!
            Last edited by bill2601; 03-05-2010, 08:32 AM.
            Regards, Bill

The definition of Insanity: "Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result."
            Albert Einstein

Comment

The jetter you are running is a great unit and very similar to what we run but ours draw 5.5gpm. We also use a 3/16" hose in the drain via a remote mini reel giving you extra flexability. The Root Ranger can be kitted to suit higher volumes of water.
              Regards, Bill

The definition of Insanity: "Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result."
              Albert Einstein

Comment

That jetter looks just like the guys by me NorthWest Jetters make, where did you get it?
                Thanks!
                Seattle Drain Service

Comment

told you bill would have it taken care of before you woke up

but here is another issue.

as others have posted, your jetter specs are a little fishy.

4000# @ 7.5 gpm requires 27.3 h.p

drop it to 3500# and you'll get by with the 24hp.

6.5 gpm will do 4000 with a 24 h.p too.

problem is the pump has a specific displacement at a set rpm.

h.p is what keeps the rpm up as the pressure/ load on the machine goes up.

that's why at 3500# you have less load and you'll get the 7.5gpm the pump is rated for.

of course you can always do a pressure and flow test like we've posted in the past. need a gauge, a tee, a ball valve and a large bucket to capture the water. make sure all your fittings, valve are rated for the high pressure.

install the tee at the end of the hose, put the gauge on the t branch and then install the valve at the end. open the valve all the way and start the machine to warm it up. once up to temperature. slowly close the valve to build up the back pressure. get a gauge reading as high as you can. then measure the output into a bucket for 1 minute.

also see what the rpms are at your engine. rpm is a direct reflection of gpm. the load you put on the engine will affect the rpm and therefore affect the gpm.

this test will also help you properly size your nozzles. right now your nozzles are a #7.5 for 4000#.

i think you'll be fine at 3500#.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Dakota one thing to watch for on your new set up is loose bolts on the exhaust manifolds, after a couple hours re torque the 12mm muffler bolts they always come loose a couple times on the big Hondas after they seat they are fine. Look for other vibrated bolts as well.
                    Seattle Drain Service

Comment

Everyone,

Thanks for all the great responses. I'm running a little late this morning so I'll be brief.

The Root Ranger is getting taken care of no problem.

Yes, definitely discovered loose bolts after asking "What is that sound?" after running the jetter for about 15 minutes. Thanks Cuda - glad to know this is not unusual.

Definitely will do a proper flow test.

I will get my equipment dialed in and really appreciate all the help.

Have a great day guys!

Comment

Cuda you got it - Jetters Northwest.

Comment

I've touched that machine...lol but I didn't drool on it.
                          Seattle Drain Service

Comment

It seems like the day I got it in, I saw your Poor Mans Jetter thread and was like "TWO HONDA 24HP GX 670s!!!". One of these days I'll be running with the big dogs in the tall grass - lol. For now, I've got plenty to work with.

Comment

Working...
                            X