X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K60 vs Root 66

I think I recall reading on the forum that Rick owns both. Anyone care to share their thoughts on how the Root66 stacks up with the mighty K60?

I'm a dedicated K-50 user, but the combination of being able to run both 5/8 and 7/8 cable + use the drum attachments is very very intriguing to me. That and I have an opportunity to buy one at a very reasonable price So I figured I'd do a little market research.

Seems the specs are similar (1/2 hp motor), though k-60 runs at higher RPM's.

I've heard of someone on here using the K-50 drum adapters on the K-60, but the Ridgid catalog doesn't make any mention of drum adapters for the K- 60

Any way I can get Ridgid to tell me in writing that the drum adapters are OK to use on a K60? It would just give me a little bit more piece of mind.

Re: K60 vs Root 66

Ridgid won't tell you it's OK but from a user (me) that has a drum adapter on a K60 it's fine if you are careful. It's WAY over powered so go lightly on the handle to get the speed you want. You want the same drum that fits on the K-50. A-17 with 3/8" cable

Comment

Here's the post I recall about it. Seems overpowered as Mr. PC says, but might be learnable.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...&highlight=K60

J.C.

Comment

thanks for super quick response!

I actually use 1/4 and 5/16 more than 3/8. too much power?

Comment

Fix it Bill.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
            Here's the post I recall about it. Seems overpowered as Mr. PC says, but might be learnable.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...&highlight=K60

J.C.
            Sorry guys I guess I removed that vid from Youtube. I'll see if I can put it back up.

WOW what a total coincedence! I was just back at that same job today where that vid was taken...freaky!

Comment

I have the General I95 with the large drum attachment on the back. Funny thing is thus far I almost never use it. The large drum is pretty much the SuperVee drum. The Ridgid canister looks smaller. Could be a good thing for storage on the truck. Could be a bad thing 'cause it may not hold as much cable.

Small line-I'll grab the little P.O.S. quick spin and the cordless drill. Got things rolling many times this way and am gone.

But if that doesn't work then go to the 5/8" sectional & that usually gets it unless something is way wrong with the plumbing.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
                I think I recall reading on the forum that Rick owns both. Anyone care to share their thoughts on how the Root66 stacks up with the mighty K60?

I'm a dedicated K-50 user, but the combination of being able to run both 5/8 and 7/8 cable + use the drum attachments is very very intriguing to me. That and I have an opportunity to buy one at a very reasonable price So I figured I'd do a little market research.

Seems the specs are similar (1/2 hp motor), though k-60 runs at higher RPM's.

I've heard of someone on here using the K-50 drum adapters on the K-60, but the Ridgid catalog doesn't make any mention of drum adapters for the K- 60

Any way I can get Ridgid to tell me in writing that the drum adapters are OK to use on a K60? It would just give me a little bit more piece of mind.
                that was then, this is now.

i own the route 66, i-95, route 82(older version of the 88).

the 66 is a nice machine, but not as fast as the k-60 in rpms. i use it when i have 2 machines operating.

the i-95 is only a 1/3 hp and more resembles the k-60 in shape and operation.

the 82/88 is like the eel. but i still prefer the timberwolf for this.

i too have drum adapters, but prefer the k-39 for 5/16'' sink cables.

if you can get a good price on the 66 go for it, but make sure you can get parts for it. general is much harder to get than ridgid.

don't worry, i still have 2 brand new k-60's waiting for their turn. my original k-60 is still going. and this was a rental unit when i bought it too

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Thanks guys

We'll see how it goes. The machine is actually brand spanking new. The cables are even still in the bags, but need to see if I can talk him down a bit.

Re: pistol rods....I HATE them. Just never liked the feel. I find the K-50 with the small drum infinitely faster for my jobs. Most of my tub drains are drum traps and I really like the clutch for feel to get through them. I also deal with a lot of old galvanized lines with the old durham/CI drainage fittings. Clutch also helps a lot with these.

5/8" sectional is not an option on most of my tub and lav drains. Kitchens and floor drains I use C-8's most of the time.

Comment

Working...
                  X