X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doing work for friends/Families & aquaintences

When a freind or family member calls you because they have a clogged drain do you give them a break on the price ?? or does it depend on how close of a friend/Family member they are ?
    I just had a Friend of my Brother call me (I know the guy and have partied with him but he is more of an Aquaintance than a friend) with a clogged sink, and when i gave him the price he got all pissy with me!
    I guess just because somebody has met you they Expect a Deal,

Re: Doing work for friends/Families & aquaintences

rule #1

Never ever do work for friends, family or neighbors

Comment

Oh boy family, friends or friends of friends Family charge double because they are a royal pain in the butt.
      Friends only if they helped me out in the past. Friends of friends not my friend and their just another customer.
      Rod
      MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
      Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
      http://unclognh.com
      http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

yea. i always get the short end of the stick. even if i do it for free they expect me to pay them!!!
        if they agree to pay full price and i do the job. then i might give them a break. but if they expect it right away then no. i always got taken advatage of.
        the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
          rule #1

Never ever do work for friends, family or neighbors
          Unless you are willing to do it for Free and provide a lifetime warranty

Comment

Friend of a friend of a friend and their friend and his friend too will expect a discount not good for business
            Rod
            MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
            Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
            http://unclognh.com
            http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

It depends...

I have some relatives and friends where we exchange work...
              And I have some that I charge...

It all depends how it works out...
              Plumbing for auto repair has worked well for me...
              411 Plumb Appliance Stimulus Package

Comment

Since this is no social visit and their asking for my complete undivided
                attention. The normal rate maybe 5-10% just for the word of mouth reference. People just don't want to get burned, and a postiive outlook
                for future work, comes into the picture. You could share with the client would the cost associated with showing up, fuel, wear and tear on your vehicle, tool use, & time invested. Always give them other options
                if you don't want to do the work reference another willing associate.

Comment

It depends on the friend/family. My sisters/mom and dad (although they always pay me, makes me so damn mad), wifes mother/grandmother get free or cost only work. Most everyone else pays full rate. I have trade with a couple of friends. Once for electrical work and another who has a trencher that I borrowed (he came with it too, nice!).
                  www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

i've learned to try and avoid it...

It seems the bigger the discount I give a customer, the slower to pay they are.

I started a "quick payment discount" as a result of some slow payers..... seems to help.

Sometimes they try to pay the original, discounted amount when it's not valid, but no system is gonna be perfect.

My latest PITA is "friends" calling me to get me to tell them how to fix something themselves.... I Usually don't tell them much.

--------------

Help me support children’s cancer research CLICK HERE!

Comment

i have to like you (and i don't so don't ask) to get it free. i let my wife figure it out. if she says they get it free. they get it free. now i know you folks will be shocked to hear i say shocked when i say that only her relatives get it free. imagine that. my relation knows that i don't care they pay 100% cod. breid..................

Comment

My father gives family a 20% off discount. I had a friend that bought a building and started a restaurant out of it. After a few weeks of being open his bathrooms started to back up. but the rest of the building was fine. He had a brand new septic tank out back which was no more than 50' from the bathrooms. As we rodded the line we got in 75' and the line still was not open, and we did not hear the cable at the septic tank. So we tossed on a line locater and found the bathrooms went out the front of the building and was bee lining for a storm trench.

Instead of trying to figure out why it was heading to the trench we dug the line up when it reached the side of the building and installed a lift station since the pipe was 5' deep already, and piped the discharge to the septic tank. We charged him cost for the pre-cast manhole and only charged him for a half days of work even though there was lots of windshield time 3 hours each way from his place to our shop. He gave us a few hundred down and since the place was new we gave him some slack.

Sadly over a 4 year period of time trying to collect from him we just got excesses, and bad checks. He even got money from his father to pay us which his father was under the impression he paid us, but he spent the money on a pizza oven. Then a year later he opened a bar. He finally paid what he owed less all the bounced check fees. Needless to say he never speaks to me ever again.
                        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

If someone wants a deal because they are a "friend", tell them that since they are your friend they can give you a deal and pay double.

What I've done in the past is tell my family that everyone gets one "freebie". After that they have to pay like everyone else.

If a family member (aunt, uncle, cousin, etc.) needs help but they can't really afford a plumber then I'll charge them something to cover my costs but that's about it. Family is family. You only get one.

As far as friends go it's easy. I only have plumber friends. Problem solved!
                          Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Why do the job always seem to screw-up when it's for friends and family ?

I do free work for my direct family and 30% off labour for friends.

Father-in-law bugs me. He knows I give him free plumbing so lately (since he retired) he has one of my guys over there nearly every week! Don't know what to say. We do however get free babysitting saving us $80 a time.
                            Regards, Bill

The definition of Insanity: "Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result."
                            Albert Einstein

Comment

I don't expect anyone to work for me for free or at a discount why should I work for anyone else for free. I have had friends come over and do electrical work and landscaping and they offered not to charge me and I refused. I just told them to charge me their usual rates and I would expect the same from them when I worked for them.
                              Two men Have died for you. One is Jesus Christ the other is the american soldier. One died for your soul The other for your freedom.

Comment

Working...
                              X