X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• septic access

Just bought a new old house (built in 1966) that is on septic. To my knowledge it has never been pumped or maintained in any way, but has not given any problems in the few months we've been here. I'm not terribly familiar with septic systems - never worked on one or owned one. I intend on putting a new driveway in that I believe is going to be on top of the tank (I've located where my sewer exits and it's right there).

I'd like to uncover the tank and build a cleanout before covering the tank. What is the top of that tank going to look like? I'm assuming it is going to be concrete... ? Is there likely to be plugged access points there that I can build on - or am I going to be creating my own?

Thanks

Re: septic access

First off you don't want to drive over your septic tank unless it's load rated which I'm guessing your's isn't. It can collapse. I've seen it happen even with a cement tank.

Second you need to get with a good pumper (ask your friends/relatives who they use) and set up a maintenance schedule. If you don't you will ruin your drainfield if it isn't already. If it hasn't been pumped since '66 chances are the drainfield has taken alot of damage.

Read here for lots of information http://cfpub.epa.gov/owm/septic/index.cfm

A good pumper should be able to advise you on what options you have.
    www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Originally posted by malder View Post
      Just bought a new old house (built in 1966) that is on septic. To my knowledge it has never been pumped or maintained in any way, but has not given any problems in the few months we've been here. I'm not terribly familiar with septic systems - never worked on one or owned one. I intend on putting a new driveway in that I believe is going to be on top of the tank (I've located where my sewer exits and it's right there).

I'd like to uncover the tank and build a cleanout before covering the tank. What is the top of that tank going to look like? I'm assuming it is going to be concrete... ? Is there likely to be plugged access points there that I can build on - or am I going to be creating my own?

Thanks
      You should actually find the thing, your county might have a plan of where it is from permitting. Better than having to stick a bar in the ground all over trying to find it.

Comment

You also do not want to cover up the leach fields with your new driveway.
        Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
        A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
        Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
        Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Cover that tank, and dig later, GUARANTEED !!!!!
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Are you within 100 feet of a sewer service line? Connect!
            ANYONE CAN TAKE THE HELM WHEN THE SEA IS CALM.

Comment

Around here if you are with in 100' of a sewer line you have to connect. They will condem you septic tank and make you, or you can leave your septic tank and just pay the sewer charge anyway.

When city water was ran here they were condeming wells to make you hook up to the city water.

Comment

had a gc that is a friend of mine. he calls me up and asks me to pump his septic. he is the type of guy that does his own work. so i said yes, i know it was a problem going in. no clean out, messes up the landscaping you know. jumped the crawl space, follow drain. find tank. he had put footer of room addition across the tank, lol. i had to punch a new clean out on tank in crawl space with rotatory hammer. then i have to crawl in with hose to pump as pumper wouldn't go in crawl space. claustrophobic. what a hoot. what a bill. he never a batted an eye at bill. it was cheaper than a new tank. i see tanks under everything, also drain fields. lol. if they screw them up bad enough they can't get a permit and get to move. breid..............

Comment

Have you ever pumped a tank while sitting on a couch and watching tv? I have! So someone decided to build the garage over the septic tank. Then someone (don't know if it was the same someone or not) decided to make the garage a living room. So I show up to pump the tank and they show me to the living room where they have slid the couch out of the way and rolled back the carpet.

I did another in a converted garage. This one was a recording studio with computer equipment everywhere. I told the guy that my hose jumps around and may damage things. He said he'd spent $10k in engineering fees to hook all that crap up, he'd take the chance. He held onto the hose near the most expensive pieces.

I've done some under the house too. Those suck. I don't know if I'd fit anymore. Good thing I've got a slim young lad to do it for me!

Comment

Originally posted by breid1903 View Post
                    had a gc that is a friend of mine. he calls me up and asks me to pump his septic. he is the type of guy that does his own work. so i said yes, i know it was a problem going in. no clean out, messes up the landscaping you know. jumped the crawl space, follow drain. find tank. he had put footer of room addition across the tank, lol. i had to punch a new clean out on tank in crawl space with rotatory hammer. then i have to crawl in with hose to pump as pumper wouldn't go in crawl space. claustrophobic. what a hoot. what a bill. he never a batted an eye at bill. it was cheaper than a new tank. i see tanks under everything, also drain fields. lol. if they screw them up bad enough they can't get a permit and get to move. breid..............
                    I bet He isn't much of a contractor ! OH ,that was just proven,wasn't it ?
                    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

no if fact he owns a manufacturing plant now. i wasn't picking on gcs here. i know why he did it. if he didn't he would of had to put in a new tank + field. he ended up replacing the field because they drove all the heavy trucks over it. lol. my guess is the tanks still there and being used. breid...........

Comment

Seen tanks under houses, driveways, etc. But that's going to be huge problems for people in the future from now on.

Here's what's happening here. Banks/Realtors are requiring septic tank inspections and reports before any sales can finalize. The system must be installed correctly and in good working order for loans to close.

So the room they built without a permit comes into question of course, but the septic system now has to be changed to meet code regardless of what someone wants or how it has been working.

Think people are clueless about some trades and what's allowed? They are COMPLETELY clueless about the septic trade and rules. At least here.

Just a mess because if you change a structure and say, add a bedroom, then your field and tank must accommadate for this no matter how many people live there. And the current rules that will be enforced may not allow you to bring it to code because you don't have the room and you can't get a variance from neighbors. Seen it.

Long story short.....you cannot sell the house unless the purchaser is willing to pay cash out of their own account.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by malder View Post
                          If your going to dig that thing up by hand, have a helper standing by, have a rope (big enough to get a good grip on) and a ladder handy,

since you do not know what or how the tank is constructed, or what condition the top is in,

Do not take a chance, by working alone, if it breaks through you will could have a tough time escaping with out some help,
                          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                          attributed to Samuel Johnson
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                            Seen tanks under houses, driveways, etc. But that's going to be huge problems for people in the future from now on.

Here's what's happening here. Banks/Realtors are requiring septic tank inspections and reports before any sales can finalize. The system must be installed correctly and in good working order for loans to close.

So the room they built without a permit comes into question of course, but the septic system now has to be changed to meet code regardless of what someone wants or how it has been working.

Think people are clueless about some trades and what's allowed? They are COMPLETELY clueless about the septic trade and rules. At least here.

Just a mess because if you change a structure and say, add a bedroom, then your field and tank must accommadate for this no matter how many people live there. And the current rules that will be enforced may not allow you to bring it to code because you don't have the room and you can't get a variance from neighbors. Seen it.

Long story short.....you cannot sell the house unless the purchaser is willing to pay cash out of their own account.

J.C.
                            I wish realtors were smarter about it here. Any ATT unit MUST BE INSPECTED BY AN AUTHORIZED INSPECTOR. Well guess what, I picked up a service contract on a house that the people had no idea they had an ATT. They had just bought the place. Next thing you know they are getting letters from the DEQ saying they are out of compliance.

I told the new owner that if they wanted out of the contract they had grounds to. They decided that they wanted to stay in the house. They've been a great customer so far.

I wish our real estate laws included ALL septic systems in thier inspection rule. I also wish they would require a decent inspection. Hell the county does a step and sniff.

Comment

If sweewer is not available pay to have the septic and drain field installed in another location. When sewer does make it you will not be tearing up the brand new driveway.It can be moved for a few thousand dollars or you can jackhammer and saw cut the drive for a few thosuand dollars.

Comment

Working...
                              X