Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Root season has arrived...I think

Originally Posted by rhinorooter
    I had a tree guy (I think they are called arborist) Tell me that roots are deep enough in the ground that they grow all year and do most of the growth in the winter months because the tree is not putting any energy into leaves and branches, he also told me that the root system of a tree (in the wild) will grow out as far as the drip line or canopy that is above ground and in the cities where there is asphalt/concrete that cover their water supply they will go 3 times that far to seek water. Makes sense But i know i cut out roots all year here and we have all four seasons most years.

Originally Posted by Gene Thats how I understand it. Once the top of the tree goes dormant, the roots below the frost line become more active in seeking nourishment.

I've also been told that the root system can be up to twice the size of the canopy. I never heard anything about asphalt/concrete factoring into this, but it makes perfect sense.

Gene & Rhinorooter Your info is 100% correct
    Rod
    MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
    Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
    http://unclognh.com
    http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

I have been told that roots will continue growing up to 5 yrs after a tree is cut down. can anyone verify this.
      Two men Have died for you. One is Jesus Christ the other is the american soldier. One died for your soul The other for your freedom.

Comment

Originally posted by alsdrainservice View Post
        I have been told that roots will continue growing up to 5 yrs after a tree is cut down. can anyone verify this.
        Tree Service Companies in my area say 7 years

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
          Tree Service Companies in my area say 7 years
          May times people say but I cut down the tree. But the stump remains
          Nature is amazing with it's will to survive.
          Rod

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Originally posted by Swade Plumbing View Post
            Only 1 root related sewer job in the last few weeks, now 3 nasty ones already this week. Seems earlier than past years but we had a quick thaw in Chicago this year. Today was over 50 degrees. I actually got to work in just a t shirt like you boys in CA and down South! Nice to leave the jacket and hoodie in the truck for a change.

How about you guys? Any increase in the root calls yet or perhaps just a fluke for me this week?

I'm not complaining either way.

Happy Fishing

-Chris

Finally some good news!

Comment

My inlaws had cut a huge old maple down but left the stump. The tree grew back from that stump. It's gone now though. It got rotten in the middle and half of it blew down last fall.
              www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

depending on the tree type & nutrient/water 5 to 7 years is the norm.

i've seen a case where the roots from a rubber tree (45'-50' crown) infiltrated a septic line over 125' away. ficus, mango, turpentine, baobob are very insidious

steve
                In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

i have a pond that the willow trees from 75 feet way have invaded. it looks like a forest in the pond. suckers everywhere.
                  the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

Originally posted by Jerad View Post
                    i have a pond that the willow trees from 75 feet way have invaded. it looks like a forest in the pond. suckers everywhere.
                    Love pulling up to a house with a Willow tree. Let the battle begin.
                    Rod

Comment

Helped my brother on a job today 150' long sewer, willow out back a super large oak in the front. I been rodding this guys sewer for 9 years now. The line stays open for a total of 3 years.

After the job I took a ride to Allan J Coleman and picked up a new machine today and got to use it on a lav sink line at my mothers. I will make a new post about my new machine.
                      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                        Helped my brother on a job today 150' long sewer, willow out back a super large oak in the front. I been rodding this guys sewer for 9 years now. The line stays open for a total of 3 years.

After the job I took a ride to Allan J Coleman and picked up a new machine today and got to use it on a lav sink line at my mothers. I will make a new post about my new machine.
                        Things must be picking up?? Buying new equipment
                        Rod

Comment

Many elms and oaks in the area.Normal root growth we see here gets us repeat
                          business between the 2-5 year mark!
                          Have had trees near a foundation of a house come back
                          strong and plug a line off as little as 8 months!

Comment

We had the worst root call we have ever seen this week. We actually just completed the estimate for a complete trenchless rehab project for the customer.

They agreed to go ahead with a complete cleaning, cleanout installed out front and complete lining installed through the entire sewer.

Check out the pics below. The roots were HUGE!!!! Bigger round that the pushrod on the camera. We were removing bark that wrapped around the cable. This was like nothing i have ever seen before around these parts. The first pic is a pile of roots lodged in the drop to the city sewer.
                            Attached Files
                            www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

Here is a video of the line:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CLFX4BwCTo
                              www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

How do you line a sewer that is in that bad of shape?

What machine do you use to remove that amount of root growth??

Comment

Working...
                                X