Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: rate cuts, low ballers, cheap customers, hacks and other nonsense

Originally posted by Trent2 View Post
    I think the problem is there is not enough professionalism in the industry. Too many good ole' boys that have no idea what it really takes to do a quality job.
    i pulled this from another post. this applies to all trades.

or even how to run a profitable business. they think that just scrapping by is enough.

one thing i have also noticed is that some wives are working to offset there "hobby job" were there spouse makes the real money and has the insurance. then they think they can charge cut rate prices......this really ticks me off...... if they had to do it all themselves they would go bankrupt!!!!
    the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

Dont worry no one is going to be getting their health care from there spouse soon anyway. Obama is going to make it hard for everyone. I am on my wifes insurance. It saves alittle but it not real make or brake money. I think the money in not working soon. I'm not happy about health care. Then they think that going to make more jobs. Profits make jobs not taxes.

Comment

Originally posted by DANE View Post
        Dont worry no one is going to be getting their health care from there spouse soon anyway. Obama is going to make it hard for everyone. I am on my wifes insurance. It saves alittle but it not real make or brake money. I think the money in not working soon. I'm not happy about health care. Then they think that going to make more jobs. Profits make jobs not taxes.
        I didn't hear about that provision, that would suck for me. Right now I am on my wife's insurance because they have a family plan, so the four of us are the same as her and the 2 kids. My employer makes us pay per child, so it would be more expensive than hers to use mine; so I opt out and get $35 extra a month. The other problem is we have a $2400 family deductible, so if I have separate insurance it means we won't meet our deductible as quickly; grrr.

Comment

I think companys will drop insurance. The level of coverage needed will just cost too much. There is no more so so insuranceor major medical with this law. YOU in turn will be forced by law to provide insurance at these new levels for yourself. Company will find it cheaper to drop insurance and pay the fee, tax, fine, for not having insurance. People will be forced onto the goverment plan because they will not be able to find insurance that meets the min coverage. The 18000 or so IRS agents will make sure of that. The IRS is in charge of inforcement of the new laws enforcement. HE SAID YOU CAN KEEP YOUR INSURANCE if you can afford it. Health care companys will have a couple of good years here selling to new people forced to buy health care. As people find they cant afford it at the new levels they go to the goverment plan. Private health care cost will rise as the goverment plan will only pay a % of the real cost. Private plans will be charged more and more to make up for the lost income. It like medicare for everone. Many doctors will not see people already on Medicare because Medicare only pays a % of the total bill. I dont blame them, I wouldnt clean a drain for half price.This differance is charged to Insurance companys in the form of higher rate to make up for it. This will go on untill rates are so high for private insurance no one will be able to afford it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerad View Post
            i've tried to educate customers but most now seam to be intrested in price more then what we can give them. a call yesterday a lady wanted to know if i would fix her leaky shower and if i was lower then her hack friend at $10 per hour.
            that is another thing i forgot to mention hacks or handymen. what is this $10 to $15 stuff i keep hearing about from customers. last month i had one that i was going to reroute a dryer vent. that there handyman last year vented it into the wall with no exit. (he did the remodel). i told them the price and they said they would call the guy back and just pay the $10 per hour for him to fix it. even though it was his problem to begin with. they payed the $65 svc call. i bet the roof leaks when he is done! HACK
            I know what you mean here in the SF Bay Area its like handymen are taking over. There are guys charging $50 dollars for main line cleaning. I dont know how they could live out here charging those prices its one of the most expensive areas in the country.

Comment

it has been one month now since i have done any drain cleaning. the calls have just about dropped off to nothing and the ones that are calling all want it for $50 to $60. svc call is $65 to $95 for my area depending how far i go. outside my area it goes way up from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerad View Post
                it has been one month now since i have done any drain cleaning. the calls have just about dropped off to nothing and the ones that are calling all want it for $50 to $60. svc call is $65 to $95 for my area depending how far i go. outside my area it goes way up from there.

How many jobs were you averaging when things were going good ?

Comment

long story short. i stopped doing drains 5 years ago because my other biz was doing so well. we were going great till June 2007. then the slow down. we restarted doing drains this last year.
                  ok so when we stopped 5 years ago we were doing 2-3 calls a day on top of my other biz and it keep me very busy. no one price shopped me. they just called and said when can you come.
                  the nut shell version.

Comment

Working...
                  X