X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Eel expanding cutters

Originally posted by jhplumbing View Post
    Geno
    Great Pics!! You were using a spartan 1065??

I have no problem spending the money on the eel expanding cutter, its just i have never seen one up close and i hate to have the thing fall apart. I just may spend the money since i have herd great reviews on it!
    Spartan 2001.

The expanding cutter appears to be well made but only time in sewer pipe and roots will tell. With the smaller cable I use I'm only planning on using the Eel for clean up duty.
    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Guys for what its worth I looked at the eel expanding cutters at the show and they are well worth the money. Eel put some time into R&D. The cutter blades are thick, not some thin metal garbage. The expanding spring is contained in a well made base. There is no doubt they are heavy duty.

Comment

ordered one on thursday...........it will be here on Monday, i cant wait!

Comment

I just received my 4"x6" epanding eel cutter. I cant wait to use it. After seeing the cutter first hand i can now justifiy the $250.00!
          Attached Files

Comment

Damn! that thing looks practically medieval!

Comment

Looks like you got pissed after $20.00 worth of quarters, no Teddy Bear, and just destroyed things taking this as the souvenir.

J.C.

Comment

I just received my 4"x6" epanding eel cutter. I cant wait to use it. After seeing the cutter first hand i can now justifiy the $250.00!

As I said thing looks bullet proof, in its it billeted aluminum.
                Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                Ron's Facebook
                A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                  Ron,

I purchased a 4"-6" Eel expanding cutter from AJ Coleman. It cost $20 less than if I went to Eal directly! They provided me with a transition leader and an adapter so I could go from 1-1/4" Eel to 3/4" spartan cable then down to .66 magnum Spartan. Also got a spare set of three blades. (Like to be prepared.) With all the extra paraphanalia it approached $400 including shipping.

I used the cutter for the first time today. I admit I was nervous using a large cutter like this on a .66 cable. What I did was use a 3" apple blade (on a bent leader) for several passes then upsized the blade to 3-1/2" pear on the same leader. I got what I could after five passes with the normal cutters... leaving them to grind on the problem for a couple minutes each time. Lot's of binding and torque buildup.

Then I ran the Eel expanding cutter. I ran the cutter for maybe a couple minutes over the trouble spot on a single pass. The cutter never felt like it was catching any roots. I knew they were there though from the video!

When I put the camera back in. Beauty! The expanding cutter was so efficient it didn't have to buildup nearly as much torque as the other cutters to actually cut! See the difference before and after.

I'm thinking the cutter wasn't so expensive after all!

The roots are located at a transition from 4" cast to 6" clay.
                  I forget who was telling me they bought a bunch of stuff from spartan, and talked to AJ Coleman and found out they could of saved a few bucks.

There is a few cities around here that insists on the drain cleaner to run the expanding cutter if you are rodding from a 4" clean out. I do find they work great on the "flapper roots" at the 4 x 6 transition joint. Reason I call them flapper roots is with a 4" cutter they just kind of move out of the way and the cutter just can not get a bite into them, but the expanding cutter pops open to the full diameter of the pipe and tears them right out.
                  Ron's Facebook

Comment

So did you get a chance to use this beast yet? What do you think of it?
                    Ron's Facebook

Comment

i have used it with the model c and with the k-7500.

It runs much better with the model c.

The k-7500 is a dog fight to run the blade!

I was a little afraid of the blade at first, but it it well bilt and does not get stuck as much as i thought it would! I always send a camera down the line before i drop that blade in!

Comment

i have used it with the model c and with the k-7500.

It runs much better with the model c.

The k-7500 is a dog fight to run the blade!

I was a little afraid of the blade at first, but it it well bilt and does not get stuck as much as i thought it would! I always send a camera down the line before i drop that blade in!
                        That Eel expanding blade works awesome. I have had mine for about 11 years and still works it can take a beating and give roots a beating too.
                        Rod
                        MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                        Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                        http://unclognh.com
                        http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

Working...
                        X