X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eel expanding cutters

While at Allan J Coleman I did a little maintenance shopping. Picked up new clutch jaws for my K-50s bearings for the spartan auto feed, and some replacement blades for my mainline machine. I use a mix of standard pair shape cutters, along with the Eel adapter and the 1 1/4 Ell cutters and a Ridgid adapter with the Ridgid 1 1/4 cutters.

JrSaltz mentioned in one of his posts that he got his hands on the Eel three blade expanding cutter. I mentioned I had one and it broke after a few jobs. Now the one I had the part the blades attached to where cast brass and thats the parts that broke. I got to see the ones JrSaltz was talking about. They are very impressive. I want to say billeted aluminum is what the parts the blades attach to are. I just want to see these look bullet proof.

I did not buy one just yet since I am still using my Ridgid expanding cutter welded to a 3/4 leader that Allan J Coleman has made up. There is a couple villages and cities that like to wittiness the main line roddings and require you to use the expanding cutter. The Ridgid one welded to the leaders fit the bill perfectly for me. I will snap a few pics of this in the morning and post them here as well.

When it breaks I will try one of these. Maybe if JrSaltz has used his yet he can chime in.

I forgot to take pics of the ones they have at AJC, but here is what Eel had on there website. http://www.electriceel.com/expansiontools.htm

Attached Files
    Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
    A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
    Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
    Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Re: Eel expanding cutters

Here is the pictures of the Ridgid expanding cutter welded up to a .66 leader.

Attached Files

Comment

Did you find all of that money in the drain stuck in a root mass?

Comment

Originally posted by Plumbducky View Post
        Did you find all of that money in the drain stuck in a root mass?
        I found all this money stuck in a cup holder of the van my brother was cleaning out.

Comment

i welded up a 3/4'' cable connector and a 1.25'' connector. no leaders.

i have new blades and have never needed them as the factory blades are very, very thick. a dremel every now and then and they're sharp to go.

haven't tried out my 6 x 8'' one yet

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

I Called Allan J Coleman on a price for the Eel expanding cutter!

$249.00 I was shocked at how much they cost!! RON....do they look like they are worth $249.00, i would buy one but i have never seen one first hand! just hate to break it.

General makes an expanding cutter to fit the L connectors for around $75.00. Im trying to track one down A.J.C does not carry them,i was suprised at that!
            Last edited by jhplumbing; 03-22-2010, 07:11 PM.

Comment

lol You found the 1% of the items they do not stock. I tell you what, it is billeted aluminum which is bullet proof looking. I do not see the body (blade holder) breaking anytime soon. Yes you may break a blade but them are much cheaper to replace.

While at the PHCC show by me DrainCables Direct was there, they make a really good expanding cutter, and I picked one up. I think he said it was around $75 bucks and it fits right onto the 3/4" cable. I will snap a few pics and post them here in a little bit.

Originally posted by jhplumbing View Post

$249.00 I was shocked at how much they cost!! RON....do they look like they are worth $249.00, i would buy one but i have never seen one first hand! just hate to break it.

General makes an expanding cutter to fit the L connectors for around $75.00. Im trying to track one down A.J.C does not carry them,i was suprised at that!

Comment

Here is the DrainCables Direct expanding cutter. I like how the blade has more of a curve than the Ridgid, and the spring is hidden inside the blade holder instead of being exposed like the Ridgid's.

Attached Files

Comment

Where is the spring on the Eel one? i need the cutter to fit the L style cable connection. i have a k-7500 and model c i use all EEl L style cutters on both machines

Comment

Where is the spring on the Eel one? i need the cutter to fit the L style cable connection. i have a k-7500 and model c i use all EEl L style cutters on both machines
                    The eel cutter hids the spring as well.

Comment

Here's a couple of photo's of the Eel cutters
                      Attached Files
                      Rod
                      MT. Washington Sewer & Drain Cleaning
                      Serving Berlin, NH and North Conway, NH areas
                      http://unclognh.com
                      http://mtwashingtonseweranddrainclea...m/default.aspx

Charging less does not mean more call volume it just means you have to work harder to reach your goals.

Comment

AJC now has the expandable cutter in stock that you were inquiring about. Give us a call for details on this and all Ridgid cutters.

Thanks!

-Kirk

Comment

Kirk...........I called you yesterday on them, I was looking for the general expanding cutter.

Comment

Ron,

I purchased a 4"-6" Eel expanding cutter from AJ Coleman. It cost $20 less than if I went to Eal directly! They provided me with a transition leader and an adapter so I could go from 1-1/4" Eel to 3/4" spartan cable then down to .66 magnum Spartan. Also got a spare set of three blades. (Like to be prepared.) With all the extra paraphanalia it approached $400 including shipping.

I used the cutter for the first time today. I admit I was nervous using a large cutter like this on a .66 cable. What I did was use a 3" apple blade (on a bent leader) for several passes then upsized the blade to 3-1/2" pear on the same leader. I got what I could after five passes with the normal cutters... leaving them to grind on the problem for a couple minutes each time. Lot's of binding and torque buildup.

Then I ran the Eel expanding cutter. I ran the cutter for maybe a couple minutes over the trouble spot on a single pass. The cutter never felt like it was catching any roots. I knew they were there though from the video!

When I put the camera back in. Beauty! The expanding cutter was so efficient it didn't have to buildup nearly as much torque as the other cutters to actually cut! See the difference before and after.

I'm thinking the cutter wasn't so expensive after all!

The roots are located at a transition from 4" cast to 6" clay.
                            Attached Files
                            Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Geno
                              Great Pics!! You were using a spartan 1065??

I have no problem spending the money on the eel expanding cutter, its just i have never seen one up close and i hate to have the thing fall apart. I just may spend the money since i have herd great reviews on it!

Comment

Working...
                              X