Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Broken end of Drum snake cable, how to fix?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken end of Drum snake cable, how to fix?

I have a K-380 drum snake cable machine. The end of the snake cable tore off into the drain. I can no longer attach the difference kind of augers and cutters. I went to home depot and they gave me a 1/2 quick fix for the cable. the only problem is that my cable is 3/8 cable. any recommendations on what to do? thanks in advance.

Re: Broken end of Drum snake cable, how to fix?

call a pro!
    the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

How do you break a 3/8" cable??

The machine is for "soft" stoppages.

Comment

a drain was clogged, tried to snake it through, the snake got stuck and it broke. The snake works fine, but it is just not as effective without a auger/cutter....thanks for yall input.

Comment

3/8" Solid Core IW is destined for the trash heap when you break the end...

I just bought another one yesterday

Does the end of your cable look like this?

If so buy a new cable ($130-$150)...

Comment

I was thinking about using one of these, but does anyone know if they have this for 3/8?
            Attached Files

Comment

the one you posted is for a "general". a simple repair, but would require the general cable ends.

i believe that the ridigid end is a weld on end for 3/8''.

rick.

repair end part #91037 for the 3/8'' cable.
              Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 03-17-2010, 08:00 PM.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by confusedDIYer View Post
                I was thinking about using one of these, but does anyone know if they have this for 3/8?

Since you are not experienced with this sort of thing it would be in your best interest to buy a new cable.

How did you get the broken head out of the drain when you broke it?

A poor or improper cable repair is just asking for another broken end which if you are doing the right thing could be very costly...

Comment

Reridge 3/8 repair end

Ridge makes a 3/9 repair end for iw cables they also make one for ic cables it is a t-122 end. I always use the t-122 for the iw as they are more flexable and cost about 1/3 the cost. If they do not go on tight and will screw back off i run a little weld over the cable very little and that will tighten it up. Do not weld it on or it will fail marvin

Comment

Re: Reridge 3/8 repair end

Originally posted by rod man View Post
                    Ridge makes a 3/9 repair end for iw cables they also make one for ic cables it is a t-122 end. I always use the t-122 for the iw as they are more flexable and cost about 1/3 the cost. If they do not go on tight and will screw back off i run a little weld over the cable very little and that will tighten it up. Do not weld it on or it will fail marvin
                    Marvin, Do you run into the same temper stress break issue when you use a repair end and weld? Would Locktite be a good option here?

Bill

Comment

It never to late to return it. Home Depot take takes all sorts of used machines. Pressure wash it, put back in the box, I just dont need it. When I work at a big box store in high school people would return stuff we didnt even sell. Chop saws, you name it.

Comment

Re: T-122 REPAIR END

You do not weld the end. I just run over about 1 inch of the cable lightly to make the end go on tight too much and the cqable will break. The iw ends will go without any work but they are too stiff and very costly. The iw ends are much shorter useing less material and less time for the coil machine but cost 3x the price. Marvin

Comment

Originally posted by DANE View Post
                          It never to late to return it. Home Depot take takes all sorts of used machines. Pressure wash it, put back in the box, I just dont need it. When I work at a big box store in high school people would return stuff we didnt even sell. Chop saws, you name it.
                          Just what the world needs, another lying cheat

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                            Just what the world needs, another lying cheat
                            I wouldn't do something like that, but the world is full of people that would. It seems this machine and the AF are offen return at HD.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              the one you posted is for a "general". a simple repair, but would require the general cable ends.

i believe that the ridigid end is a weld on end for 3/8''.

rick.

repair end part #91037 for the 3/8'' cable.
                              Rick, thanks for the part # , I'll order one myself! Tool up image shows no female weld socket ! Just received the repair end. It needs to be welded. The weld ridgid did on the conn. is text book! Wetted in perfect!
                              Last edited by toolaholic; 03-23-2010, 03:52 PM. Reason: Just got the part today!
                              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Working...
                              X