X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Septic tank cover

House built in 1966. I located and uncovered the septic. I have a few questions about it.

Will there be another cover at the outlet like on new tanks or did they build some with just one back then?

I'd like to install some sort of manhole-like access cover, so I don't have access for future sludge pumping since there will be a driveway over it. What is the best way to do this?

I believe it is rated for being driven on. Is there any markings on it that will confirm?

The current lid is just a slab of concrete with a couple rebar handles. It doesn't fit all that well. Dirt can filter through the little cracks. Should I do something about that? If so, what? I suppose if I can make some sort of manhole down to it (it's about 30 inches below grade) then I won't have to worry about dirt, but I will have to worry about the smell...

Thanks.

Re: Septic tank cover

it's is 44 years old. if it was rated to drive on (which i doubt) the concrete is rotten by now. it isn't nor never was rated for a concrete or dump truck. if you want to be able to clean it you will need to put in a clean out. if it was my house i would hire a septic company to do it. i would put in a clean out for pipe to house and one toward the field. breid................

Comment

www.pamcovers.com

you wont be disappointed with these, plus the gasket will cut down the smell, we have reps all across the country, and we do have representation in California, so if you would like their contact info let me know
      Eric Melvin
      CF Manufacturing
      CF Sales

Comment

Originally posted by malder View Post
        House built in 1966. I located and uncovered the septic. I have a few questions about it.

Will there be another cover at the outlet like on new tanks or did they build some with just one back then?

I'd like to install some sort of manhole-like access cover, so I don't have access for future sludge pumping since there will be a driveway over it. What is the best way to do this?

I believe it is rated for being driven on. Is there any markings on it that will confirm?

The current lid is just a slab of concrete with a couple rebar handles. It doesn't fit all that well. Dirt can filter through the little cracks. Should I do something about that? If so, what? I suppose if I can make some sort of manhole down to it (it's about 30 inches below grade) then I won't have to worry about dirt, but I will have to worry about the smell...

Thanks.

I'm with Breid, I wouldn't trust the concrete to still have any load rating qualities. I certainly wouldn't be driving any car over the top of the tank. To answer your question about lids. Comonly there was only one lid in my area. Since alot of the forms are the same around the country one could guess that you may have only one lid as well. However the only way to know for sure is to dig it up.

Back to your drive way. Make darn sure it isn't over the drainfield either. Compaction will cause the drainfield to fail prematurely. If you are working with 44 year old system to start with, you don't want to add any more pressure (so to speak) to it.

If you do decide to move forward with putting a riser on the tank and driving over it, make sure the riser is load rated and the cover is secure. You especially don't want unintended entry to your tank. Kids are curious, give them an oppourtunity to kill themselves in your septic tank!

Good luck,

Trent
        www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Best Idea. Put a tent over it and have the out of town relatives Use it for visits this summer !
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
            Best Idea. Put a tent over it and have the out of town relatives Use it for visits this summer !
            Pop the lid off and put a toilet seat over it!
            www.ClinkscalesSeptic.com

Comment

Working...
            X