funnel augers breaking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: funnel augers breaking

i'm sure there are photos of it, but not a close up of it.

it's nothing more than a sectional cable that's been cut off at the open wind. then i heat the end section t allow for a bent hook. then oil quench it. sharpen the end andput a bend on it.

i'll have to post a photo over the weekend when i get out to the truck.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Rick, you constantly come up with amazing stuff. Are you, by any chance, a plumbing savant?
      Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Sounds like it has been proven that the 3/4" drum cable and augers are junk.

Right? Wrong?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

I want to put different Manuf. funnels in a vise. Adapt. a Mech. torque wrench to them and
          see what happens to each! Please send $5.00 each to the Tool fund. care stoney lonesome
          { San Quentin Prison .}
          I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
            Rick, you constantly come up with amazing stuff. Are you, by any chance, a plumbing savant?
            Now Mrs. J. will have to go buy bigger pillows and install ADA doors.

Shhhhhhhhh.....

J.C.

Comment

I have been having a problem with breaking the augers as well and have gone through 3 in the last couple months.

I took some photos of a broken one next to a brand new one. You can see where the break occurs. You will also see how the broken auger is stretched out. The winds of the auger near the connector are very tight on a new auger and stretched out loose on the broken one.

It appears the whole design needs a re-work.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Dakota; 03-27-2010, 11:04 PM.

Comment

nice analysis dakota
                This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

dakota, was that the 7/8'' or the 1.25'' cable auger?

try using my reverse auger design you'll never go back to the ones you're having problems with

i busted up 3 in 1 day at the same job. i then used my reverse auger design and have never broken it. even running the cables in reverse have not harmed them.

the auger is also bendable to allow for it to make it into the 1.5''- 2'' lines and then spring open to the 3''-4'' lines.

this is what makes the k-60 so universal. it cuts on the clockwise and counterclockwise rotation

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

does anyone find it interesting/disturbing that no one from Ridgid has chimed in here?

i'm pretty aggressive sometimes and have bent several augers but never broken one. usually the bending comes from damaged pipes with the hook end catching while the cable continues to spin

any response from Ridgid would be nice

steve
                    In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

steve, believe me they are reading the forum and this thread. i don't believe they need to answer every concern as they have in the past.

go back to the day allclear came on and started posting. he raised a stink about everything from augers, to couplings, to cables, to feeder bearings. just to name a few from memory

the forum works good to share our experience both good and bad. along with ideas good and bad. although we might not see an immediate fix, they are aware of it by our post and am pretty confident they will come up with a fix.

in the mean time, my reverse auger is the best specialty cutter/ auger i own and it didn't really cost me a dime. the cable was already damaged and non repairable as the last few feet was wasted. so now i have a 12' auger that has cleared more drains than i can remember

rick.
                      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        dakota, was that the 7/8'' or the 1.25'' cable auger?

try using my reverse auger design you'll never go back to the ones you're having problems with

i busted up 3 in 1 day at the same job. i then used my reverse auger design and have never broken it. even running the cables in reverse have not harmed them.

the auger is also bendable to allow for it to make it into the 1.5''- 2'' lines and then spring open to the 3''-4'' lines.

this is what makes the k-60 so universal. it cuts on the clockwise and counterclockwise rotation

rick.
                        The auger problems were with the 7/8 sectional. As for the reverse auger, I am totally sold and will be throwing one together. I have yet to damage a section of 7/8 yet, but did just get in a length of the 7/8 IC to use at the front so I could probably sacrifice one of my old 7/8 sections to make the secret weapon!

Comment

dakota, you are planning on coming to the long beach phcc show may 1 correct

never to late to join team geritol

don't ruin a good cable yet. but then again a good cable cost the price of 2 augers that get trashed pretty quickly

we'll also be in van nuys on april 6th too

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

it looks to me that when welded there was undercut into the auger?
                            please post a closer pic of the failed weld and auger as well.
                            Sent From The StoolBus

www.appletondrainandsewer.com

Appleton WI, 54915
                            1-920-284-7471

Comment

I feel Brazing would be better in this application. It would flow in and have more contact surface, Less Temp. I will say it was really torqued to bend out like that.
                              Does General wire have this problem?
                              I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Rick,i knopw they are reading but as i stated, "any response from Ridgid would be nice"

steve
                                In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X