Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: funnel augers breaking

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
    I feel Brazing would be better in this application. It would flow in and have more contact surface, Less Temp. I will say it was really torqued to bend out like that.
    Does General wire have this problem?

Brazing would not work.
    Brazing is like a band aid.
    To me it looks like a heat treating failure. Falling to heat treat the spring steal correctly.

To heat treat mile steel and spring steel is a different process. The weld did not fail the spring metal failed.

If the items are heat treated before they are welded together . The welding process will change the heat treating.
    Sent From The StoolBus

www.appletondrainandsewer.com

Appleton WI, 54915
    1-920-284-7471

Comment

Maybe, Maybe Not. Heat treating would be done after welding. For Years I was a Union
      cert. welder. I still weld.
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I tried to take some closer pictures.

Picture 1 - Broken fitting from funnel auger
        Picture 2 - Broken funnel auger twisted back on fitting for a comparison
        Picture 3 - Repeat
        Picture 4 - Broken end of funnel auger wind
        Picture 5 - Brand new unused funnel auger weld
        Picture 5 - A funnel auger that is failing and will break soon (used once)
        Picture 6 - Repeat
        Attached Files

Comment

What are the age of some of the broken augers? To be fair, there is a life expectancy, but they may be breaking real early too.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            dakota, you are planning on coming to the long beach phcc show may 1 correct

never to late to join team geritol

don't ruin a good cable yet. but then again a good cable cost the price of 2 augers that get trashed pretty quickly

we'll also be in van nuys on april 6th too

rick.
            Yes, I am going to the Long Beach PHCC show and am very much looking forward to meeting up with the forum professionals!

Team Geritol?

Would love to break off on the 6th but am preoccupied. You are not the only one whose wife is pregnant. My wife starts her 3rd trimester any day now.

The photo is of my daughter at 26 weeks (picture from 3D ultrasound taken over the weekend).
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              What are the age of some of the broken augers? To be fair, there is a life expectancy, but they may be breaking real early too.

J.C.
              I have many different snake attachments for my K-60. The funnel auger is not the only tool I use by any means. I use the straight auger more and then various sharktooth, sawtooth and cutters.

The failures I have experienced (3) were with funnel augers only used 1-3 times at most. This is with me being cautious as a bent funnel auger is hard to get down the line and can cause the cable to turn back on itself.

Sometimes when snaking I will run the funnel auger down to try and catch all the roots I have been cutting through. Sometimes I will catch a root ball and pull the whole thing back out with the funnel auger.

The basic design flaw is that when you run the funnel auger in forward and it catches up in anything, the torque actually untwists the winds right off the fitting. This then puts all torque directly on the weld area and something gives. We need something stronger (perhaps the secret weapon). If only I could just break one of my 7/8" sectional cables!

Comment

Dakota your parts are failing in the same spot as my augers. Broke the last (RIDGID) 7/8 funnel auger I will ever buy today.Brand new never in a drain made 3 passes pulling out baby wipes and small fiber roots when it broke. threw the end in the tool box and grabbed the General Funnel and pulled out the junk (RIDGID) end. Yours are a text book example of all my failures I counted all the broken ends in the tool box today I had 8 and I know thats not all of them. at first I thought I was just using them to rough but now they wont hold up to being used with caution. why buy a tool as great as the K60 and have to purchase all the tool from another mfg. WAKE UP RIDGID THESE ARE THE TOOLS THAT SELL THE BLASTED MACHINE WITHOUT THEM THE MACHINE IS WORTHLESS TO THOSE WHO USE IT TO EARN A LIVING. Please let us know that you are doing something about this. Replacing a broken tool with another that will fail from the same defect is not a option anymore for me.

Comment

congratulations dakota and mrs dakota

joey has not printed the 3d ultra sounds because they look "scary" in her opinion.

dakota, i find that if i us my spiral root saw, i can then also go in reverse and the root saw then becomes a grabbing hook. this tends to grab and rip.

the factory auger is just too weak of a design. i believe the wire gauge needs to be increased and the length of the coupler thread needs to be increased to grab more of the cable and less torque on the weld.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by Dakota View Post
                    Yes, I am going to the Long Beach PHCC show and am very much looking forward to meeting up with the forum professionals!

Team Geritol?

Would love to break off on the 6th but am preoccupied. You are not the only one whose wife is pregnant. My wife starts her 3rd trimester any day now.

The photo is of my daughter at 26 weeks (picture from 3D ultrasound taken over the weekend).
                    That is an amazing ultrasound image! Is she holding a little auger?
                    So how is your wife? I thought she went into the hospital a couple weeks back.
                    Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

In the second pic she looks board? Need to put ur to work. LOL

Congrats by the way
                      Sent From The StoolBus

www.appletondrainandsewer.com

Appleton WI, 54915
                      1-920-284-7471

Comment

Originally posted by geno gardner View Post
                        That is an amazing ultrasound image! Is she holding a little auger?
                        So how is your wife? I thought she went into the hospital a couple weeks back.
                        Lol - she will be my little plumber's helper some day. We'll see if I can get her to post on the forum by age 4 just show you guys up.

This is our first and my wife (knock on wood) has been having a pretty smooth pregnancy so far. I did have to catch her once when she passed out, but overall is going well (easy for me to say).

Comment

maybe your wife and my wife can meet at the trade show and give joey some pointers

i catch joey all the time when she trips

i too will be bringing our little "josephine" the plumber to the job

see you in may

rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                            maybe your wife and my wife can meet at the trade show and give joey some pointers

i catch joey all the time when she trips

i too will be bringing our little "josephine" the plumber to the job

see you in may

rick.
                            You mean Phoebe, don't you?

Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                              You mean Phoebe, don't you?

Mark
                              actually i like "piper" better.

joey gets the first name and i get the middle and last

trying to figure out how to squeeze k-60 into her name

maybe i can just propress it in

rick.
                              phoebe it is

Comment

You guys are awesome ! I worked corrosion control in the Air Force and this looks like a typical example of dissimilar-metal corrosion. When different metals are joined an exchange of electrons occurs as they try to equalize their molecular valence. Break down at the point of their joining can occur and is not visible to the eye. It shows up under stress. That is why stress testing is important in airframes. Matching the metal in the funnel, the mount, and the weld rod is the best bet to insure a long life in the part. Sadly in todays world few (china) pay attention to fine details like that. I don't know your craft that well, but I expect the funnel shape places a greater stress on the weld point than a bulb auger blade would as the coils of it's larger "belly" would be better able to disperse pressure shock. Plumber Rick is very wise to craft his own specialty pieces. You get what you pay for ... except when you don't ! ; ) I just bought some magic beans on ebay ... can't wait to see how them babies grow!

Comment

Working...
                                X