X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: funnel augers breaking

What made You think they are dissimilar metals ? Other brands arn't having these problems.
    I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

well it didn't break but today i hit an immovable object with the K75 & straight auger. retrieved some roots and went back in. couldn't get past 15' feet so i kept at it. tried the c-cutter, spiral saw, but still could not get past 15'. no roots just a bit of shine on the blades. went in again with the straight auger. again stopped at 15', damn near stopped the motor from turning, and all i could think of was it's going to break off!!

i had to reverse to get the auger to free itself. when i came out of the closet bend it did look a bit odd. the coil on the auger was opened and the part of the female fitting that normally is hidden by the wind of the auger was exposed. it's like the auger was stretched. the weld is holding but the auger has been deformed like nothing i've ever seen before. i've bent them but never stretched one

this auger is probably 5 months old and has a ton of use on it. it will be retired now.

my questions to Ridgid are:

when (date please) did the outsourcing begin?

could this be an older non-outsourced auger?

should i be able to trust any new Ridgid augers now?

i'm ready to place a rather, for me at least, order for augers for all of my machines and don't really feel confident at this point. come on Ridgid, make me feel like i'm not wasting my money and putting my reputation on the line

steve
      In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

You have enough power to do the damage that has been described to that tool. It preformed to its limit. If you had stuck a funnel in you would have had to retrieve the broken end after the first try.

Comment

Am I the only person here who wonders why Ridgid has not defended this product. Please everyone who has been having problems with the funnel augers breaking on 7/8'' cables speak up LOUDLY.

Comment

i can assure you ridgid is aware of our concerns. whether they answer here or not, they know we are having issues.

i don't think beating them down is going to accomplish anything productive.

i would honestly try my method as i've posted. you can thank me after it has worked as good as i claim it does.

try it, you'll like it

rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              i can assure you ridgid is aware of our concerns. whether they answer here or not, they know we are having issues.

i would honestly try my method as i've posted. you can thank me after it has worked as good as i claim it does.

try it, you'll like it

rick.
              i'm sure they are reading and are aware BUT how about a response or be like Toyota. they claim to "Build Reputations" but if there is an inferior product then it should be discussed and , i feel, a response from the manufacturer is in order. i don't think anyone is beating Ridgid down but their lack of response speaks volumes to me.

i have built my reputation with Ridgid products and have spent $$$$ to buy and maintain my equipment & reputation.

i have found Ridgid is very slow in responding to the few issues i've had. my concern is the quality of the tools i need to make a living & succeed. if there is a problem i'd like to know about it.

the concerns are valid and do deserve a response from the company

steve
              In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stxrus View Post
                well it didn't break but today i hit an immovable object with the K75 & straight auger. retrieved some roots and went back in. couldn't get past 15' feet so i kept at it. tried the c-cutter, spiral saw, but still could not get past 15'. no roots just a bit of shine on the blades. went in again with the straight auger. again stopped at 15', damn near stopped the motor from turning, and all i could think of was it's going to break off!!

i had to reverse to get the auger to free itself. when i came out of the closet bend it did look a bit odd. the coil on the auger was opened and the part of the female fitting that normally is hidden by the wind of the auger was exposed. it's like the auger was stretched. the weld is holding but the auger has been deformed like nothing i've ever seen before. i've bent them but never stretched one

this auger is probably 5 months old and has a ton of use on it. it will be retired now.

my questions to Ridgid are:

when (date please) did the outsourcing begin?

could this be an older non-outsourced auger?

should i be able to trust any new Ridgid augers now?

i'm ready to place a rather, for me at least, order for augers for all of my machines and don't really feel confident at this point. come on Ridgid, make me feel like i'm not wasting my money and putting my reputation on the line

steve
                I have little experience,and am trying to learn. Wouldn't You use a small spear head and water to try to break through 1 st? Thanks Tool
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

i don't believe this is anything new. the augers, straight, funnel, retrieving are all the same design. i can tell you that all the augers that broke on me were because i was using them for heavy root retrieval and put them under heavy load.

my augers were a collection of brand new stock and old stock. i know that from the packaging and from my source of purchase. so basically steve, if you've had good results with your 6 month old auger, you will continue to have good results with a brand new auger.

remember that not everyone has the same kind of root structure. i think from what i've posted and what allclear has posted, we tend to run into very heavy and dense roots. while others might not ever see the roots we do, they will not put the auger under that kind of stress.

i rarely ever used an auger unless i had no choice. and it was always a straight auger. the funnel i reserved for a retriever.

i can also assure everyone that if they have 1 bad cable, they can sacrifice it to make the reverse auger that i've had great results with.

if anyone is not sure how to make this auger, just ask and i will re-post it step by step. i rather doubt there will be any auger stronger than the cable we use on a daily basis. this reverse auger is the cable we use on a daily basis and it has never failed.

give the auger another chance or try my design. i'm sure you will be fine with both based on your 6 month run.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                    I have little experience,and am trying to learn. Wouldn't You use a small spear head and water to try to break through 1 st? Thanks Tool
                    to me the auger is a specialty cutter. used when nothing else will penetrate or to help snag wipes.

my rotary root saws are my go to cutters.

my reverse auger is my secret weapon and has never let me down.

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by toolaholic View Post
                      about 75% of the time i go in with a straight auger unless i'm pretty certain what the issue is. then i may change heads depending on what i need or think i need. the straight auger is great for opening up a hole and/or retrieving what the issue is. grease, roots, mud from a broken line, whatever.

in this case the line (3"PVC closet bend) was full of water. the camera went about 13' and went no more. the line had bits of stuff floating that i presumed was paper. for me the obvoius tool was a straight auger. could not pass the original immovable blockage but did retrieve some roots. went in with the sharktooth & spiral saws with no progress nor any more roots. the ends were not shiny so i presumed there was something else going on. back in with the straight auger, came to a dramatic halt, reversed to free and when it came out of the hole there it was .. stretched. located the blockage and explained the options to the H.O.

Ridgids own advice is (from p12.42 from the Full Line Product Catalog) "Always start with a straight auger to try and determine what you are trying to clean. Then chose the correct cutter to clear the drain" typed verbatim and checked for spelling)

Rick, how about i buy a cable and have it shipped to you. you do your majic, send me a bill (including shipping) to me, i'll get you a CC# and you send this miracle tool back to me.

steve

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

try it, you'll like it

rick.
                        I think most just want to know that the dissatisfaction is acknowledged. Just for someone to say thanks for the input, sorry for any inconvenience, and we're working to correct it. That's all.

And if they don't hear that then one must assume that nothing will change and they should look to General Wire for their augers as I haven't heard any complaints about them.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                          I think most just want to know that the dissatisfaction is acknowledged. Just for someone to say thanks for the input, sorry for any inconvenience, and we're working to correct it. That's all.

And if they don't hear that then one must assume that nothing will change and they should look to General Wire for their augers as I haven't heard any complaints about them.

J.C.
                          exactly what i've been saying but not as eloquently as JC put it

steve

Comment

I hear ya guys... and I have been relaying on the info... No answer yet but We do appreciate the feedback and we do take everything seriously that is posted up here even if we don't respond right away.

Sorry if you guys weren't feeling heard. We are listening.

Josh

Comment

jc

i ain't the ridgid groupie here, but one reason we we don't hear from to many of the unhappy drainbrainers on here is that they are all on the general forums. i hear people ***** on pz about the general. breid...........

Comment

Originally posted by stxrus View Post

Rick, how about i buy a cable and have it shipped to you. you do your majic, send me a bill (including shipping) to me, i'll get you a CC# and you send this miracle tool back to me.

steve
                                \

steve, honestly, i would love to make it for you. but the fact is, shipping will cost much more than it's worth. why don't i just convince joey i need to go on a business trip there and show you how

steve, pm joey for my email address and i'll give you all the details.

rick.
                                phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                                X