Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

funnel augers breaking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Re: funnel augers breaking

    I stopped using a funnel auger the last time I turned one inside out on itself (I think I posted a pic of it last year)

    I have started using the spiral saw as my first attack blade with GREAT success (thanks Rick).

    I bet Renee and crew have a plan for the Cable to connector attachment...

    Bill

    Comment


    • #62
      Re: funnel augers breaking

      Well I was at the sewer and drain cleaning toy store today (AJ Coleman) Marvin showed me some funnel augers that are brand new, but old. Marvin told me that these are how Carl Coleman made the augers back in the day.



      Attached Files
      Last edited by SewerRatz; 04-06-2010, 11:08 PM.
      Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
      Ron's Facebook
      A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
      Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
      Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

      Comment


      • #63
        Re: funnel augers breaking

        Marvin doesn't like welding on cables,He said. These are rugged !
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

        Comment


        • #64
          Re: funnel augers breaking

          aer those available? they look virtually indestructable

          steve
          In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

          Comment


          • #65
            Re: funnel augers breaking

            Originally posted by stxrus View Post
            aer those available? they look virtually indestructable

            steve
            Call AJ Coleman and ask Marvin. He will sell anything Those are for the 7/8 cable though.
            Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
            Ron's Facebook
            A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
            Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
            Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

            Comment


            • #66
              Re: funnel augers breaking

              Rick regarding your secret weapon. I agree that its a sound idea and have no doubt that it works but maybe we all dont have the time and or shop facilitys to preform the mods to cables and or cutters . And its a risk if its not done properly that could cause a real problem. I know that I prefer to purchase my tools not spend all nite in the shop after all day in the trenches and will dare say most who post here are the same.

              Comment


              • #67
                Re: funnel augers breaking

                Originally posted by Mr Slate View Post
                Rick regarding your secret weapon. I agree that its a sound idea and have no doubt that it works but maybe we all dont have the time and or shop facilitys to preform the mods to cables and or cutters . And its a risk if its not done properly that could cause a real problem. I know that I prefer to purchase my tools not spend all nite in the shop after all day in the trenches and will dare say most who post here are the same.

                i guess you don't own a soldering torch, dremel and have an extra 10 minutes on your hands.

                can't help you then

                rick.
                phoebe it is

                Comment


                • #68
                  Re: funnel augers breaking

                  Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                  i don't believe this is anything new. the augers, straight, funnel, retrieving are all the same design. i can tell you that all the augers that broke on me were because i was using them for heavy root retrieval and put them under heavy load.

                  my augers were a collection of brand new stock and old stock. i know that from the packaging and from my source of purchase. so basically steve, if you've had good results with your 6 month old auger, you will continue to have good results with a brand new auger.

                  remember that not everyone has the same kind of root structure. i think from what i've posted and what allclear has posted, we tend to run into very heavy and dense roots. while others might not ever see the roots we do, they will not put the auger under that kind of stress.

                  i rarely ever used an auger unless i had no choice. and it was always a straight auger. the funnel i reserved for a retriever.

                  i can also assure everyone that if they have 1 bad cable, they can sacrifice it to make the reverse auger that i've had great results with.

                  if anyone is not sure how to make this auger, just ask and i will re-post it step by step. i rather doubt there will be any auger stronger than the cable we use on a daily basis. this reverse auger is the cable we use on a daily basis and it has never failed.

                  give the auger another chance or try my design. i'm sure you will be fine with both based on your 6 month run.

                  rick.
                  Yes please Rick I have the end of an old cable I would like to make into a new auger.

                  Thank you

                  Simon

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Re: funnel augers breaking

                    Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                    Call AJ Coleman and ask Marvin. He will sell anything Those are for the 7/8 cable though.
                    thanks. 7/8 is my main cable

                    steve
                    In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Re: funnel augers breaking

                      Originally posted by Some Day Plumbing View Post
                      Yes please Rick I have the end of an old cable I would like to make into a new auger.

                      Thank you

                      Simon
                      here is the contents of an email i sent to another forum member.

                      the reverse auger is nothing more than a cable with the last few inches cut off. cut off the tight wind section from the male coupler end. this way you'll have 14' of cable with the proper end / female coupler in tact.

                      heat up the last couple open loops to cherry red and then using pliers/ vice grips, open the wind up to create an open hook. re-heat and allow to cool a little, then dunk into oil to temper it. then sharpen the open hook with a dremel. you now have a sharpened open hook auger. put a bend on the last few inches to allow it to scrape the pipe.

                      remember that the hook will only grab when the motor is running in reverse. hence the reverse wound secret weapon auger.

                      now you have an auger that's 14' long and you Can bend that hook any direction to allow for scraping 1.5''- 4''. i've never had an issue running the machine in reverse.

                      let me know that you understand it and give it a go. i'm sure you too will find this auger to be the secret weapon.

                      the oil tempering is a guess for me as it's held up good and has yet to snap. the hook is easy to sharpen as needed and i've bent the end to match the pipe diameter.

                      remember that the auger will grab while running the motor in reverse and will not grab while in the forward direction. think of it as a corkscrew auger.

                      this auger is used on small pipe or when nothing else will get the line open.

                      an auger is not my go to cutter for root stoppages. my root saw is.

                      let me know how it works for you

                      rick.
                      phoebe it is

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Re: funnel augers breaking

                        Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                        i guess you don't own a soldering torch, dremel and have an extra 10 minutes on your hands.

                        can't help you then

                        rick.
                        No disrespect was intended . And you have helped me several times Thank You But if its so easy for you to heat and bend the open wind cable and then re-temper it into a rugged and dependable tool . Why is the tool company having a problem in a state of the art factory preforming the same task

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Re: funnel augers breaking

                          Originally posted by Mr Slate View Post
                          No disrespect was intended . And you have helped me several times Thank You But if its so easy for you to heat and bend the open wind cable and then re-temper it into a rugged and dependable tool . Why is the tool company having a problem in a state of the art factory preforming the same task
                          you have to keep in mind that my design is completely going against their design and engineering.

                          what i've done is not recommended or approved by ridgid. but i know it works as it has worked for me so good, i've written about it dozens of times on the forum.

                          hopefully others will try it and be successful and disprove the myth of running a cable in reverse.

                          all i know is that it works and works extremely well

                          but then again what would you expect from the k-60

                          rick.
                          phoebe it is

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Re: funnel augers breaking

                            Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
                            Well I was at the sewer and drain cleaning toy store today (AJ Coleman) Marvin showed me some funnel augers that are brand new, but old. Marvin told me that these are how Carl Coleman made the augers back in the day.



                            When I started using my Km1500 in the seventies the funnell augers were cold pressed onto the coupling but now they are all welded and the funnel auger is not used on heavy blockages and with expience you should be able to feel the blockage at the machine through the tension on the cable as you hit ithe blockage and then ease off and reverse and forward the cable until it clears or you decide to use another auger or its a digging job also I feel if you are using inner core cables and feel you can exsert more force but the weakness is still the auger and you may forget it and break it so my advice is take your time and go easy or break the auger no matter whether it is welded or not.

                            Tony

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Re: funnel augers breaking

                              Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                              here is the contents of an email i sent to another forum member.

                              the reverse auger is nothing more than a cable with the last few inches cut off. cut off the tight wind section from the male coupler end. this way you'll have 14' of cable with the proper end / female coupler in tact.

                              heat up the last couple open loops to cherry red and then using pliers/ vice grips, open the wind up to create an open hook. re-heat and allow to cool a little, then dunk into oil to temper it. then sharpen the open hook with a dremel. you now have a sharpened open hook auger. put a bend on the last few inches to allow it to scrape the pipe.

                              remember that the hook will only grab when the motor is running in reverse. hence the reverse wound secret weapon auger.

                              now you have an auger that's 14' long and you Can bend that hook any direction to allow for scraping 1.5''- 4''. i've never had an issue running the machine in reverse.

                              let me know that you understand it and give it a go. i'm sure you too will find this auger to be the secret weapon.

                              the oil tempering is a guess for me as it's held up good and has yet to snap. the hook is easy to sharpen as needed and i've bent the end to match the pipe diameter.

                              remember that the auger will grab while running the motor in reverse and will not grab while in the forward direction. think of it as a corkscrew auger.

                              this auger is used on small pipe or when nothing else will get the line open.

                              an auger is not my go to cutter for root stoppages. my root saw is.

                              let me know how it works for you

                              rick.


                              Tony

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Re: funnel augers breaking

                                This long thread is aggravating and redundant. The current design for Ridgid augers (at least the funnels) have been proven to break very easily vs. the old design. That's been consistently posted.

                                If Ridgid wants to go back to the original-durable design, or a design that's improved over the original, then buy lots of them.

                                If not, my opinion is don't ever buy another one.

                                And Rick has explained very well how to make a reverse auger out of a section of cable if someone wants too.




                                J.C.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X