Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: funnel augers breaking

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
    This long thread is aggravating and redundant. The current design for Ridgid augers (at least the funnels) have been proven to break very easily vs. the old design. That's been consistently posted.

If Ridgid wants to go back to the original-durable design, or a design that's improved over the original, then buy lots of them.

If not, my opinion is don't ever buy another one.

And Rick has explained very well how to make a reverse auger out of a section of cable if someone wants too.

J.C.
    If I wanted your opinion I would have asked for it and just how are you going to built a civilization without prostitutes or a least one female plumber.??

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
      If I wanted your opinion I would have asked for it and just how are you going to built a civilization without prostitutes or a least one female plumber.??

Tony
      When your opinion matters I'll let you know.

5 Female Plumbers.

J.C.
      Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 04-09-2010, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
        Well I was at the sewer and drain cleaning toy store today (AJ Coleman) Marvin showed me some funnel augers that are brand new, but old. Marvin told me that these are how Carl Coleman made the augers back in the day.

I haven't paid close attention to the General ones I have but those don't even look welded. Like a coupling with a shank/thread that threads into the spring then is "bradded? or Peened?".

Right? Wrong?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
          I haven't paid close attention to the General ones I have but those don't even look welded. Like a coupling with a shank/thread that threads into the spring then is "bradded? or Peened?".

Right? Wrong?

Thanks.

J.C.
          You got it. THreaded on then peened. Thats how they where made way back when.
          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by SewerRatz View Post
            You got it. THreaded on then peened. Thats how they where made way back when.
            Not welded is the way to go! That's been proven, HERE
            And I'm a welder!
            I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Ive got one of those 7/8 damaged (my fault, try to hard sometimes) I like that Idea alot.

Comment

I find this thread quite interesting. I have a bent funnel auger. I didn't think I'd hit anything very hard, but it has quite a kink. So I ordered a couple more augers and didn't give it another thought.

Reading this, I went out and looked at the bent one and the coil is lifting off the first swirl of the holder. It wasn't bad enough to lift it far enough to break the weld.

So I'm thinking (something I should always be careful of), they put a steering wheel at the end of a steering column to give us more leverage. We wouldn't be able to steer a car if it was a lot smaller. So maybe the reason we see funnel augers failing but not straight augers is because they can't get the same amount of torque on them. So maybe the straight auger is the thing to use first. Then, if it's roots, use the rootsaw, if it's wipes or something like that use the funnel auger.

And hope Ridgid thinks of a way to make a stronger funnel auger.

Comment

Working...
                X