X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• funnel augers breaking

all of my ridgid straight augers and funnel augers are breaking at the weld.
    WHY?
    I think the problem is the single tack weld used.It appears to be to cold a weld.

In the past all my augers lasted years unless one hung up and got distorted while unhanging the cable.

in the past seven years,about 8 or 9 augers have broken on the very first use simply from bumping the cable to ease past the bottom of a sweep.

I had started buying the general brand from the cable center when I was in the St. Louis area,but about a week ago,ordered a funnel auger and straight auger(7/8") from Graingers.

Today, the very first use,maybe two seconds of use-$26+ gone,history,etc;

If anyone knows what's going on,Please tell me.

Re: funnel augers breaking

It could just be a bad batch.

Comment

outsourcing problem?
      the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

When I was in welding school , I took a metallurgy class. The teacher had a Buss.Investigating weld failures. If You will send Me a failed auger,He'll use it in class for His students,I believe, Some of His work. #1- Crane boom sheared off casting Rip Rap Fla.
        #2- 20 Men killed Natural Gas pipe line,Saudi = Wrong alloy,scrubbing unit, No pre heat
        Inside pipe before welding. Welders said too hot! #3 Container crane collapse. Grain in plates wrong, direction,Yes, steel has grain direction. This Man Awed Us with His slides!
        I have other friends , Hales testing, Bechtel.

Question Does our Host Want the truth?? I wiil do this,if asked
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

red, was that an auger for the 7/8'' sectional machine?

if so, i have a trick for you, that you will be thanking me for years to come

let me know and if you can, post a photo.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

I just had a Straight 7/8" auger break on me last week, and a funnel auger break about a month ago!!

They were about a year old, not much use on them!

Comment

wow that is scarry

i've never broken an auger but i have bent a few. usually hanging up on a break or hole, especially in CI.

actually this is double scarry as i'm ready to buy a ton of augers, i like to have spares for my spares

steve
              In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jhplumbing View Post
                I just had a Straight 7/8" auger break on me last week, and a funnel auger break about a month ago!!

They were about a year old, not much use on them!
                If You send Me the broken remnant end and or retrieved funnel , I'll have them looked at and Possibly xrayed. A GOOD photo of the broken end May be some indicator of possible
                Poor fusion , only. I may by a new funnel from fergy. I will cut in half on the weld, Hand sand. We did this in class Years ago. It tells all,is cheap to do.
                Last edited by toolaholic; 03-21-2010, 12:38 PM. Reason: WHERE'S TOZZ WHEN WE NEED HIM?
                I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I have seen many of the straght and funnel break next to the . Weld ridge is very good on replacing them. They are not getting a tight fit on the coupling and all the strain is at the welded part. Originally karl kollmann never welded his ends on the heads he had a very deep thread. He never welded the cable ends either as he had a toght fit and did not have to ridge originaly did not weld the coupling on the spring heads but they had a problem with them coming off so now they weld them and have other problems marvin

Comment

I've stopped buying Ridgid funnel augers because of the short lifespan. ALWAYS break at the weld. Only have broke 4 or 5 straight ones though.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                      I've stopped buying Ridgid funnel augers because of the short lifespan. ALWAYS break at the weld. Only have broke 4 or 5 straight ones though.
                      What do you use instead?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

ok, so the best auger that i have is not sold in stores

it's my secret weapon.

i had 1 bad 7/8'' cable that i ruined, my fault

kept the 12' good remainder. heated up the cut end. flared it out to a corkscrew and sharpened the end. oil quenched it and then i can bend the the last few inches for a good offset.

now the way this works is the cable will grab as an auger if you're running the machine in the reverse motor rotation. this will act as a 12' auger and in the 100 or so times i needed it, it's never broken or damaged the cables or machine running in reverse.

this is the cable/ auger that's my get it open tool. when all else fails, i use my secret weapon reverse wound auger the same auger that allows me to access a 4'' main via a 1.5'' or 2'' c/o with a good bend that will open up to 4'' when it reaches the larger pipe.

i haven't tried it with my 5/8'' cable, but i might as i have 1 cable with a bad connector and i just might cut it off and make it my secret 5/8'' weapon

so now you know my trick

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

I had to give up on the Ridgid 7/8 products. Last year I broke off at least 10 -12 funnels. Broke two on the same job that was the last straw the local vendor would not stand behind them. Purchased the General products and problem ended. I have no problems with my 1-1/4 parts breaking so I took a larger auger and welded it to the 7/8 end havent used it yet but I dont think it will fail. Its a bad feeling when one of these break and you have to fish it out Ridgid knows that there is a problem with these parts why dont they fix them?

Comment

My guess on funnels. They are heat treated first,connectors are not. Anyone know for sure?

My guess the weld, heat treating sequence is off.

Of course, this is the same country that put lead into toys ! This means nothing to them, as

long as people keep buying inferior products. Sorry RIDGID You have a problem.

We promote Your products 95% of the time

Comment

Sorry for taking so long to repost.

Toolaholic,I had already dumped the items for scrap iron.

Rick,yes the funnel head was for 7/8" sectional cables,model T-102,Cat.No. 62855.

I have read your posts on your special weapon before,and was wondering if you would repost pictures of it again?

Thanks to all for your comments.

Comment

Working...
                              X